1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    It's a joke!!!!!!!!!!ROFL!!!!!!!!!
    I hope you didn't believe it!!!

2. crowy

crowy Guest

What I'm thinking is how much heat is a cpu/gpu combo going to generate???

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i thought someone had put a v8 engine on that motherboard for a minute :)

@baltekmi - pls reword your sig so the text only uses 5 lines, thanks..

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, as I said though, I doubt the high end components will use it. A for market reasons and B for as you say, heat reasons. There's no reason to make a CPU with over 130W TDP, given current cooling, it'd need a beast of a cooler to keep it in check. A 90nm X2 and X1900 series card produces around 240W of heat tops I hear, so that's out for a start. However, a 65nm X2 and an X1600 series could produce a more reasonable 120W. Here the irony being that AMDs (pre Core 2 Duo) produced less heat than Intels, and yet ATis produce more heat than nVidias... if only you could have the tiny TDP of the 7600GT on there!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    It's like the CPU/GPU shown in the article. it's just a representation of what it might look like!

theone

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmmm.
    Just looked at the power req.s for the 8800GTX and possible req.s for R600. If I expressed my true feeling, a moderator would ask me to remove it, they're that obscene. No chance of getting one of them on a CPU! We're looking at double that of a hot-running X1900XT!!! Those coolers better be good, and quiet too! In addition to that, you need something a bit beefier than a Hiper Type-R to run them! They use 30A on the 12V rail on their own! In addition, the bandwidth is so extreme, they can't be run in dual mode without two 16x lanes!!! Given the performance of FEAR on my system at its preferred resolution, and the likely performance of upcoming games, an R600 isn't an unlikely purchase, and therefore, neither is a ridiculous power supply. Anyone know what the noise rating of an Enermax Galaxy is? (better be low, I think my Hiper is too loud!) Thing is, they're 18dB or something ridiculous at low power, and that's true, my PC is near silent (bar the HDDs) when it turns on, but after gaming, there's a very prominent hum coming from it....

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

so if we want to get 2 g80s for sli we need a 680i mobo and 2 psus to feed their need of 4 pcie connectors running @ 30amp.

nice

this sparkle one looks good, if somewhat oversized

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That thing looks huge... I wonder how loud the stock cooler is?

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

for sparkle to do somthing like that, i wouldnt like to guess.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The Enermax Liberty 620W should handle that quite well :)

It would be very cool to release CPU/GPU combos with a proprietary chip performing like a 7600GS or so. It would make OEM manufactured PCs have decent graphics and be cheaper than one with a discrete video card.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    If they are 18db, then they are very quiet! The Zalman 9500 is 27db in low noise mode. My Arctic Freezer Pro was listed at 21db at max speed before they changed thier measurements to sone, and it's much quieter than the 9500 in the Prescott! As you know, both of the computers here are exactly the same case and fans. The only difference is the CPU Cooler! Since the 9500 is 18db as well in silent mode, I would guess the Hiper would make about the same amount of noise!

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Is that good enough for you, creaky?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It was a simple request LOL, it's now less than 3 lines so it's OK in my book!

14. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Hey Guys

Ok guys.. christmas is right around the corner.. so i was looking at getting a new system.. and i got my car 1996 Nissian 200SX.. :)

I was thinking a conroe build with somthing like this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144701

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814142076

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145566

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813127005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128002

what do you guys think.. i am getting rid of the one i have now.. it has the 3700 at 2.5 1 gig of ram... Abit At8 crossfire 200 mobo.. 250 w.d hiper 580W sunbeam trio case. thermaltake cooler X850XT at PE speeds and i think thats it... for 610.00 my cousin should be buying it.. he said he was going to.. i am getting around 500.00 for christmas.. so i did not see the point of just upgrading what i have if i can get everything better for the same if you know what i mean...

:)

get back to me..

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

id wait till ati bring their dx10 card out and go with a nextgen graphics card unless the price drops like a brick when the new ones come out.

nvidia have just released thier nf68 mobos for intel cpus and i would look in to those first.

i would also consider a 1gb module of ram as im sure you will want to add more in the future and although you will get a slight performance boost with 2 x 512mb ones right now it will either limit you in the future or you will need to sell them to make room for bigger ones.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if you must get a PC for christmas Ryan, then holy cow! What a christmas present! But in reality, I'd save a bit longer, wait for the X2800 series (presuming that's what it'll be called) to appear. ATI's top end cards have recently appeared at slightly lower prices than their nVidia counterparts, but offer similar performance. The 2800 will hopefully be no exception and the 8800GTX wipes the floor with the X1950 and the 7950GX2. I'd also recommend going for 2GB RAM. At that high end, you don't want to be running out of memory, and playing the games you'll be playing with that gear, you will. Unless your OS is completely fresh save the game, FEAR will fill 1GB RAM easy. My page file increases 800-1000MB when I run it and my normal PF is 300M.

17. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

So... I am gathering you like it.. it is like last year.. where all the money i get from my parents, dad, grandparents, aunts, and aunts friends... and i am selling my computer to get about half of it..

and i dont really care for DX10... it requires Vista right.. Vista has not convinced me that it is worth it yet.. :(..

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

oh yea, i wouldn't mind a pc like that :)

its not that the dx10 cards need dx10, they will play dx9 games aswell as 2 high end dx9 cards (or as near as) and only cost a little more than the one you are looking at.

as for v**ta, i think alot of people feel the same, but we also felt the same about xp but where would we be without it? only time will tell.

good luck with the build

p.s.

check for ram issues with the mobo you choose before you buy it.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I love the way you're replacing your PSU with an identical one, good aren't they?
    If you're non DX-10 conscious, and/or have a screen of 1280x1024 res or lower, there's zilch point in going above an X1950. 2GB RAM is still recommended though.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.