1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i posted a link in the building thread about that. under tests the 8800gtx is about the same as a x1950 (give or take).

that might want a bit more for those 2 fans tho :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

A little help here! Someone posted a guide to speeding up XP. I didn't print it out and now I'm having some problems with MP-10. I want to revert back to my original settings but can't remember all I changed. I didn't add any of the software so it.s just adjustments. Anybody recall who?

Thanking you in advance,
    theone

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Easy, don't use MP 10. Use the VLC Media player. Plays ANY kind of media. And for Music use Winamp. Lets you set your own EQ and use skins. My choice programs right there. MP10 always gave me nothing but crap.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis & Sammorris,

I tried the VLC and don't like the interface. I've never been a big fan of WinAmp.

I'll try Sam's solution next. It's mostly a video problem with playing AVIs and MPGs. Files that played well before stopped working well after I made changes to my system to speed it up a little. I just hope the files aren't damaged as they stop and strat and the picture breaks up into little blocks for several seconds. I should have known better and left well enough alone. That's why I was looking for the guide so I can change everything back. I should have printed it out!

Thanks again,
    theone

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv used both, and they both have + & - i use mp classic now aswell but as part of the klite mega pac, plays everything, but one thing that lets it down. it wont play from a .bin but mount it in a virtual drive and bob's your mother's brother.

miles off base here guys so ill try and bring it back, media players work better on an amd machine :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Might be codecs and such with breakups where there were none before. I'd be surprised if you corrupted some data, not saying it can't happen though.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I tried MP Classic and it was OK but I like the simplicity of the VLC. It's a bit wonky but a powerful media player.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis & Sam,

I tried Media Player Classic and it's all right but I like MP-10 better! I would like to try MP-11 but M$ has declared that my copy of XP-Pro is "Not Genuine"! The one I have the reciept and Certificate of Authenticity for! The One that Micro$oft won't honor! Anyway, I can't install Media Player 11 as Micro$oft won't let me! I have to buy a license, like I'll just run right out and buy one!ROFL!!!

I did come across a bit of software in the form of control software for my SB-Live sound card. It's called KX Mixer and it improves what is already Awsome sound. You might want to download it as it's free. Just go to www.kxproject.com and check it out. It aparently works with any sound card and it has a lot of nice features, all available from the taskbar with a click of the mouse. Please note, this is not an equalizer! It's a control panel that controls all the inputs and outputs of the sound card, in both digital and analog. It also gives you direct control of your speakers in Dolby PL-II 5.1 and a nice test program to make sure everything is working properly.

Thanks anyway for your help. I'm sure once I find the guide I used and make the changes back to normal windows setup everything will work properly again.

Happy Computering,
    theone

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

will MP-11 load on XP-Home

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Yes, they have 2 versions. One for x86 and one for 64 bit. I just wanted to try it, but Micro$oft had different ideas! Any thoughts of going Vista, just flew out the window! I've tried sending them the original reciept, a scan of both the disk and the Certificate of Authenticity to no avail, and all they've done is turn off my updates (which is no big loss!) and the minimal security XP has. I hope Bill Gates chokes on all his damn money! I expect in the future you will have to pay a fee just to get upgrades, or to install that new Blue-Ray device.

Anyway, enough of my grumbling. You have a good evening!

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ how can they just do that!!! thats pure BS i would load Linux

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How can you get simpler than mplayerc? Drag and drop any file type! It's Pan and Scan is also better than most other media players.
    That MS trouble doesn't surprise me at all. I'm not downloading ie7 or WMP11, a) because of that and b) because I don't trust any recently released microsoft troubles. It was several months before I trusted SP2.
    That control software sounds interesting, the Creative console for my card has stopped working - you get a really faint rear channel regardless of what settings you have, all that works is the port volume control... EAX copy doesn't work any more, and on 5.1 games and films, the rear channel is really faint, yet the channel test comes out full volume...

14. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Hey Guys
    Hey, i only did one change.. and that was to this..
    and i can probably get a raptor or somthing like that... here we go..

X1950XT 256mg.. Better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102067

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822136033

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144701

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227116

I dont have enough to get the 2gb.. but i dont think it is going to hurt me THAT much.. plus... the Raptor will help out a bunch.. what do yall think?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I prefer the immensely better heatsink on the better 1950s. I'm not demanding you tone down your graphics, but going from an X1950 to an X1900 say, won't hurt much. Having 1GB of RAM for that high end will hurt a lot. trust me.

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

mp11 is a reasource hog.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surprise surprise!

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Truthfully, does M$ make any software that isn't? XP could and would be a much smaller and faster program except for the fact they don't need to write tight code anymore because hard drive space and memory is cheap and plentiful. Had it been written in machine language, it would have been a better all around program. back in the day (early 90s) I was damn glad to be able to purchase 4MB SIMMS of 60ns EDO ram for $25 from a guy I knew that worked for Ma Bell, which was cheaper than new 1MB modules. A 340MB IDE hard drive was the bomb and sold for around $300!

Going back even earlier (pre PC), I.B.M. used to lease memory. 16K in 4 4K blocks for $1500 a month! Imagine, they used to do accounting, Banking, Etc. with just 16K of memory! Kind of demonstrates the present bloat!

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv got a not quite legal version of xp (called bulletxp) that i use on another partition for gaming and it only has 11 or 12 processes and uses about 50mb of ram.

its great for what it is but usless as an every day os.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Ryan91,

If it was me, I would do 2 of these in a RAID 0 and wind up with just about the same performance as the Raptor for under $100 and have 160GB of disk space! You would still have a 16MB cache as well! It would save you $50+ and you would have better speed than with the 250 alone!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148148

Just a thought,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.