1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

2. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Hey.. I have never understood that... what/how does raid or whatever work... and why 2 80gigs.. and do they make those in 16mg caches.. my cousin is not going to buy myne.. so i am going to get my brother to buy myne from me.. and but i will keep my ps.. my cousin wants to buy a Dell.. :p ... lol.. whatever... and if it comes down to it i will keep my case too.. but should i just get the raptor.. and then get a cheaper video card or somthign.. i dont really know.. someone put a rig together for a grand or somthing..

3. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Hey.. would 2 of these things do that much better? seeing as though they both have 16mg of cache.. they need to make smaller 16mg hard drives.. but that is not a big deal.. their is a 40.00 difference.. but will it actually make a difference?

get back to me.. thanks guys,
    Ryan

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Ryan91,
    Hey, if moneys tight it's worth it. And that's 8MB cache for each drive. The combined is 16. The point is you lose very little while you gain extra disk space compared to the Raptor, and for less than $100 including tax and shipping. I'de do it under the same circumstances. Consider that you could add a third 80gb. That would give you even more drive speed, make the drive a 240GB, plus make the overall cache 24MB. 4 drives and it's faster yet with a 32MB cache. Better Imagine how good it would fly and you get the idea of why the speed increases. The Raptors will run out of steam at 2 150s 300MB/s is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention that they are quieter and make less heat. When it gets to 3, the 150s can't compete, thier maxed out. I will probably do it with 2 Segate 160 Baracudas on my next build!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Hey.. u did not answer my question. what is the difference if used 2 160gig 16mg cache drives whatever u wanted it... would that be any faster than the 80gig 8mgs?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Ryan91,
    I'm sorry. Yes they should be faster than two 80s because of the larger cache. I used the 80s because of your budget, and because they fit your price range.

Sincerely,
    theone

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

8. tgsbfadc

tgsbfadc Member

Hi again.
    I bought those bits that were suggested here before and its all up and running.
    I was hoping to get some of that input to the overclocking that I wanted from you guys.
    I was pointed at the overclocking forum I presumed becuase I was going off topic for Intel Vs AMD.
    But logging back in again, I can see that there appears to be no users here keeping to the topic at all.
    I don't wish to be rude to you all, but why are people treating what is supposed to be a technical forum like a common chat room.
    Surely if you guys want to go off topic, you should either use another thread or talk in a dedicated chat room (not here).
    I point this out because I was under the impression that this site was something better than the useful dross on the net, but seeing what I can now, I and I'm sure other newbies will feel that it is waste of time.
    Please let me know if I should use any more of my time logging on to AD, or if by the looks of it, it is just a clicky club for you guys to talk to each other about GKW???

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  9. tgsbfadc

tgsbfadc Member

P.S.
    I presume even newbies are allowed an opinion here, so please don't condemn me for pointing this out to you, maybe it takes a fresh pair of eyes to see what is going on for a change.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think its because this threads title is so broad that pretty much everything and any thing pc related falls under it.

you are right to a degree though, some things are miles of topic and should be in other threads.

edit

wiring one of these wont be tidy.
    [​IMG]

4x4 by asus.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  11. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Sorry For The Change Of events.. but it seams as though my parents are being gay.. so... my brother is not going to buy my computer... so i have 550.00 total to get whatever i want.. i was thinking an

Opty Duel Core 1.8 128mg Per core.. .
    &
    X1950XT 256mg... and i was thinking a gig of ram so i can overclock more on the Opty.. i am running crucial Value... :(

But.. i was thinking... should i just get another 250gig SATA2 3.0 16mg.. or somthing like that?

Thanks Guys,
    Ryan

12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ryan91,

Let's knock off using the term 'gay' as an insult.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Nephilim , good to see ya back man !!!

15. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Am i missing somthing here? I was simply asking.. edited by ddp.. i was just wanting to know what yall thought.. and edited by ddp is not a bad word.. i wont use it again.. but its a lot better than i used to say.. agreed?

The admins dont like me alot do they?

but anyways.. how come u just copied what i said, and did not respond? that did not help anyone.. really..

afterdawn... pstt.. its a good thing their are still some good guys here.. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  16. Ryan91

Ryan91 Member

Thanks?????

I dont know why u did that.. but thanks i guess..

and...
    how come no-one has replied to me.?..

17. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

Nice to see your post again Nephilim

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Has anyone got any links to some good board test reviews for the 680i chipset yet?
    Hype has it they will push the FSB up well beyond 500 easily (I have serious doubts on that though).
    I'm especially interested in any tests done with core2's, which show actual results on FSB limits, max CPU freq, memory bandwidth, too many things out at the moment I’ve seen just give opinions rather than facts.
    Apart from the initial EVGA review which I can't get substantiated anywhere else, I've seen nothing.

It safe to say the 590 chipset for the 775 socket CPUs was a big let down, so I’m hoping that the 600 series gives a real option from the 975 Intel chipset.
    I can’t complain with what it gives me, but here are issues that really bug me, on this board and as I strive for perfection, I’m always looking at alternatives.

Also it seems to have gone quiet on the 4x4's, we now have the Q6700 on sale, I'm sure it was being implied that the 4x4 was going to be out before the Intel’s (anyone know when it's going to happen?)

The Q6700 has already pushed the X6800 down by £50, so having the 4x4 will only make the prices better for us buyers.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm personally excited about the new Stream processor from AMD/ATi. It sounds incredible. If they release a socket AM2 version I'm gonna be all over it.

I just ordered my new mobo(ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe), RAM(Crucial Ballistix 2GB) and CPU(X2 4400+) from newegg. I was going to make it a budget-conscious purchase but I realized that if I keep ordering budget then I will always have to upgrade way more. If I got some much higher quality parts then I wouldn't have to buy new parts all the time. Besides, I'm expecting an 8800GTX(as my only present) for Christmas. I wanted to give it a proper home :) My old parts are already being bid on in an eBay auction.

If the stream precessor comes out then I'm gonna snap it up. AMD has always been the first to innovate and have always ended up on top in the end. If they can bring this stream processor to market at a sub $1200 price it will be at the core of my system. I would like to see some benches though...

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.