1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I looked into both of those. Thing is, neither uses rear heat exhaust and with all that heat from an X1900, I'd need, faster, louder case fans, offsetting the noise gain a little. Besides, I'd want to wait for the warranty to end on a £327 card before voiding it, and by that time, I'd probably want a new card anyway! I've just ordered a 3007WFP off ebay (selling my 2407 to my corridor mate at university), so if that lives up to expectations, then I will probably need some hefty graphics power to get the best out of 2560x1600!

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Alright. Got it to 2.6GHz. 236FSB with HTT at 4. Runs at aforementioned temps exactly.

I NOW OWN AN FX-60!!! ... or the equivalent to one...

Gonna run a burn-in all night and check for stability tomorrow.

Anyways... 'night all!

EDIT: And I also heard about the 4400+ being cleared out... pretty sure they're getting rid of all the socket 939s but most AM2s are still relatively new so they should be keeping them for a good long while.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    I don't know what screen grabber program you are using but this one seems to work the best for posting. Just start the program and minimize it to the taskbar, click on a window you want and hit F9. A menu will pop up and you can do the rest yourself. Screen Grabber Pro will only copy the one window you click on! Here's the link!

http://www.traction-software.co.uk/screengrabpro/

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Check out the Dual-Core Opterons. They should be available for a good while yet as there are a lot of servers out there with socket 939. The Opteron 185 is like the 64x2 4800+ (which rocks) only with better binning and better steping. Considering it used to cost around $800 (USD) and is currently $415, it's quite a bargain! I want one!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103002

The 180 is no slouch either! At $299, it's a steal. With all the Dual-Core Opterons you just match the clock speed against the Athlon 64x2s and you know you will be getting the best AMD has to offer at that speed!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

damn i know i should of waited lol . the Opteron 175 i have is almost half the price i payed for it in july

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last I heard they were ousting the 2x1MB cache versions, the 4200 and 4600 are still available in 939

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    If I'm gonna go AMD, it's gonna be the 185. It's probibly the best 939 CPU you can get! I may even take a loan from my boss to buy one now! I think they will be around longer than the 64x2 because it's used in socket 939 MBs in the server market and there are a heck of a lot of them around, and will be for a while. I figure that as long as they sell well in thier market, AMD will keep making them! Switching to socket 940 would be a bit more expensive than to say, upgrading a company's Opteron 165 socket 939 servers to the 185 which would give them much better performance with very little money to lay out to get it! Especially sine there's usually 2 of them per MB!

Sammorris,
    I think the death knoll for them is that there was no "Auto-Notify", they just disappeared from Newegg's listing when they sold out. No date as to when they would have them again either! Add to that, you can get a 5200+ in socket AM2. I think this is more of a numbers game because the 5200+ runs at 2.6GHz, the same as the 4800+, FX-60 and the Opty 185. All 3 are the top of thier lines in socket 939! Granted the AM2s support DDR2, but I really like the idea of being able to use my existing XMS memory and still come away with a much faster computer than my D-940!

I look at it this way, The 185 is at least the equal of the FX-60 and cheaper to boot! We'll see what time brings!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ at that price i will probably upgrade to the 185 soon and sell my 175 anyone in the markert for a 175 Opteron lol

10. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    If you go socket 939,go DFI!!!
    And have some fun!!!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually the 4800+ is 2.4Ghz not 2.6. When i get my system stable software-wise, I'm going to try for another small overclock...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I stand corrected! Please master, don't beat me!!!ROFL

theone

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol no offense intended Russ, but a 2.4Ghz X2 unfortunately compares pretty poorly to 2.4/2.66Ghz Conroes... Seems Intel's prices are to drop in January, so maybe AMD are onto something new then? Can't wait to see 4x4 appear, saw the first Asus mobo for it yesterday... Looks awesome.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i'm a AMD user...but now i changed my mind...yes AMD is slower than intel now...but its still good...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

However, for more basic single core PCs, where a lot of the market is, I'd still recommend AMD.

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes they r cheaper...buy why...aint they slower

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, typically faster, and cooler, hence quieter. All in addition to being cheaper.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so wat u saying is that for single core AMD is better...for Duel core Intel is beta...thats tru

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's pretty much it, yes. As for Quad core, I'm not sure who'll end up the winner, but my opinion is that AMD has the better long term strategy. At some point, Intel's single FSB is going to cause problems. They've had to up it to 1.3Ghz for Woodcrest and they can't go much further. HyperTransport allows AMD to go as far as they like. Intel could of course accept HyperTransport, but stubborn as they are, prefer to come up with their own strategy. Where is it?
    Without question Intel's Quad cores will be fast, but AMD have had quite a while to think on their solution since the X2s came out, and given AM2 didn't change that much to the architecture, methinks, 4x4 could show some real promise.

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok i need to update my...info...is 4x4 means quad core or not and how fast is each core of quad core...2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.