Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We don't know yet. Intel's quad core is 4x2.66 (two E6700s). 4x4 is a bit of an odd technology but essentially allows the use of four cpu cores and graphics cards, in one case, two physical processors.
    [​IMG]

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

is it beta with 2 physical cpu or 2 in 1...

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Judging from that picture I'd imagine 2 physical CPUs lol

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam & GTR35,
    According to the article this pic came from this MB was designed for 2 physical CPUs with 2 cores per cpu, while the Intel is 4 cores on die. As odd as it may sound, AMD has the more practical solution because of the ease of cooling two seperate dual-cores. Not to mention that it would be more scalable. Can't afford the Quad, go Dual until you can afford the second CPU!

They also essentially raise the fsb to 4000, which is part of the advantage of Hyper-Transport at 1000MHz per core. If I understand it right the limiting factor would wind up being bandwidth. The Intel would run out of bandwidth first because of all the cores sharing the same fsb, while with the AMD each core has it's own 1000MHz fsb.

This article was posted here. I came across it and posted it elsewhere. I was going to post it here but someone beat me to it! It's quite long, but worth reading!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Exactly right, hence why I vote AMD next round.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    Here's something obscure that I find very interesting, even though it's a couple of years old!

http://www.zts.com/node/31

If I remember rightly, AMD Athlons had quite a heat problem at one time. I would guess that they use it in thier current CPUs, which would help to explain the cooler running cpus they have now, even at higher speeds! Unless I'm not understanding it properly, this is integrated into the CPU! Feel free to correct me if my thinking is faulty!

BTW! Speaking of temps, it's 18C in here right now. My idle temps are in the 23C range and 39-41C while encoding with RB/CCE! Cool Man
    (pun intended)!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting idea. I think what solved AMD's heat problem though was the large heatspreader that cool Athlon64s have but hot Athlon XPs don't.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I may be wrong, but I think it may well be a combo of the two as the cooler base should still be a fairly effective heat spreader as well. You'll notice that a fair amount of the OC Freaks remove the heat spreader from the CPU and mount the cooler right to the die! Besides, they used the heat spreader on the K6-II!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok a stupid question...does High-end computers tend to hav higher temp?...or is it only for overclockers and just to make sure the computer wont burn down

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Generally yes, but newer CPUs often use less power and produce less heat than older versions of the same. Dual cores always used to get hotter than single cores, but Core 2 Duos produce less heat than most Athlon64 single cores...

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, I just checked and there doesn't seem to be any issues with any components at 2.6GHz. This has to be the most stable build I've ever done! :)

Maybe it's going too well? I'll have to keep an eye on my system while I start installing my extras(firewall, anti-virus, CleanUp, EnditAll.) I have them all on one disk as to prevent any virus infections from getting them all off the internet.

I'm going to see how much better my frame rates have gotten in FEAR. That's gonna be my deciding factor. But I'm confident in a nice healthy boost :)

Updates soon.

12. redice

redice Regular member

whats is the normal temp of a amd x2 4200+ using the stock included?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I forgot to mention that on the K6-II, the heat spreader was mainly designed with laptops in mind. On the Compaqs they had a heat sink the size of Kansas that was a fairley thick aluminum plate shaped to fit the space available with a very small fan drawing air over the top of it and exiting the back of the computer through a port. It was about 8" long and very odd shaped to fit around everything.

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I would *guess* around 33*C maybe a bit less. I don't really know.

But I've made my FEAR install and I am getting about 52-55FPS solid in 1600x1200 with no AA/AF. Nice all around :)

85-90FPS in FarCry at 1600x1200 no AA/AF.

85FPS solid in Doom 3 at 1600x1200 no AA/AF

20410 3DMarks in 3DMark '03 (VERY good for an X1800XT!)

All of these installed FAST AS LIGHTNING as well! Took 15 minutes to do a defrag after the installs and this system runs anything smooth as silk!

A very satisfying upgrade for me and a nice quick platform to support my 8800GTS if I get one :)

15. redice

redice Regular member

@Estuansis

i hope thats not the case because if it's my cpu temp is reall to high.

@theone,Estuansis or anybody else

what can do or use to lower my cpu temps?

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Get some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Clean off your current heat sink with propyl alcohol and apply a small dot of thermal paste on the center about the size of water drop. Spread it evenly with a credit card and reinstall your heat sink. That should solve it.

Also make sure your case has enough fans and is well ventilated.

What is your current temp?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    What are you using for a cpu cooler? How high do you have it OC'd? What case fan/fans do you have? All these matter so my answer would depend on yours!

theone

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

if its in the mid to high 40c at idle its to high

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well i wanna try that...but dont want to risk it...i'm on holi and dont want to brake my pc in the middle of holi...i'll die with out my pc...

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.