1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Tell your friend 'He's a genius'

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL good call BigDK!
    "processor speed" - care to go into more detail on that one? It depends what market you're in as to what CPU wins out.
    In the performance market where dual cores exist, unless you're on a low budget where the X2 3800+ is king, the Core 2 Duo is the as-yet untouched champion. In the single core market for lower performance, I'm still of the opinion AMD are better, and it seems other companies have noticed. The majority of PC buyers get prebuilds, and low cost ones too. Household names for that market are Dell Dimension/Optiplex. Some of those now ship with AMD processors. I never thought I'd see the day. While Intel have made major strides with their high performance chips to take that crown from AMD, they seem to have left the single core market untouched since the P4 600, which AMD can still beat with their older chips.

Disclaimer: In my Opinion.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

LOL...i'll tell him that...

Exactly...thats not i said but damn close...

4. AE27

AE27 Regular member

AMD's true quad core CPU wont be out until June or July of 2007. Intel's main stream Quad Core's will be out in a month or 2.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I'm about to find out in the next week or so. I'm putting together an Athlon 64 4000+ on a BioStar Tfource 6100 MB for my roomate to replace the 3.0/800 Prescott! From the experience of my last AMD customer build (a 3700+ San Diego), it should be way better than the Prescott and a lot less heat too!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 4000+ will waste a 3.0 Prescott. You have my word.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The 3700+ wasted it. Should be an excellent machine for it's purpose! I wanted him to go with a x2 3800+ but he didn't want to spend the extra $40!

Should be very quick! This will be my first TFource MB. I've used the cheaper GFource a couple of times, but for an extra $8 the TFource is worth it and it has better overclocking settings in the bios!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the msi kn9 diamond and asus crosshair are both good mobos for overclocking am2 chips from what iv seen, they are a bit pricey tho.

i have read on one of the roadmaps from intel that they plan to release a single core based on the c2d's architeture q2 07.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

OMGWTFBBQ!? sammorris has added a pic to his sig? Unheard of!

*stunned gasps from audience*

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's a great little board. I just built a SFF for my folks using it and it's a keeper. I just built a SFF for myself using an Abit NF-M2 nView and it's a stellar board - oodles of features.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually my sig used to have a load of logos in it, but I got told off for that, albeit pretty much an entire month after adding it. I ideally want an NZXT bar that depicts a Lexa, rather than a Zero, but hey, point gets across...

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the Opteron 185 is in hand everything looks legit the box is perfect/unopened .can't wait to get this baby in my machine!!!

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

[​IMG]
    still havent found any thing offical.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

damn...where does the money came from?...

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Trees!

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ink jet or laser printer!!

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

LOL...ok i c now...no wonder

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah BOTH would work lol

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, after my computer being down for the better part of the last 2 days, I'm happy to say that my Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata 3.0 drive is installed and running properly! I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro in a bit under 12 minutes!. I've been installing and testing software for most of the past 2 days and I've still got a ways to go to get everything back that I had before. I have a backup but I wanted everything to be a fresh install.

The Barracuda 160 is one fast and quiet drive! I knocked 11 minutes of of my complete RB/CCE time processing Superman Returns. It probibly did better than that as I originally had the 4:3 version and this is the 16:9 widescreen. Installation was pretty simple in spite of the fact that my MB doesn't have hot plug support for sata drives and connectors. I just used the 2 floppys I made from the software I downloaded from Seagate and it worked perfect!

Anyway, if you are considering buying one, It's highly recomended. At $57.99, it was a bargain. The big bonus is Q & Q! That's Quick and Quiet!

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I'm quite impressed by my 250GB NCQ Barracuda. Unfortunately though, beautiful as my case is, the tool-less hard disk racks which use plastic clips to remove the drives, absorb a lot of seek vibration, so the Barracuda isn't as silent as it should be and the less said about the Raptor the bette. If I can find a better way of securing the drives, I'll have a look. Of course I may need to adopt a different strategy anyway if the R600 is much longer than its predcessors, I only have about 1" clearance between that and my hard disks. With people mentioning the heatsink goes beyond the PCB it has me concerned. Time for elastic HDD supports? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.