1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm surprised as I thought that plastic mounts would be quieter. Mine is a cheap case and the drive just uses screws to mount to a metal rack. It's the quietest drive I ever owned! I've also heard that the Raptors are noisey to the point of being annoying!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Of the five hard drives I'm running in both my PC's four of them are Seagates - they're superb drives that're the fastest and quietest I've ever used. Two of them are the 320GB perpendicular recording drives that newegg sells for the low low price of $94. The other two are the slim profile 80GB that I use for boot drives. The slim profiles I especially like for both my SFF's because both intake over the hard drives and the half height Seagates seem to allow more air to pass by easily.

If your mobo supports SATA 3.0 be sure to remove the jumper on the back of the drives otherwise they'll run at SATA 1.5 :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Nephilim,
    Mine is a 160GB Perpendicular drive and it's so quiet, it makes no noise that I can hear at all. No jumper as it came in a little plastic zip bag taped on the drive (OEM). I have a drawer full of sata cables so I couldn't see the sense of paying for the privilege of getting more! It's skinnier than a standard half height by about 1/8". All I know is it flys! 11 minutes off of a known RB/CCE time is a heck of an improvement. Not only that, the first time was 4:3 and the same movie in 16:9 widescreen, which has more data to begin with. I couldn't believe that I installed XP Pro in less than 12 minutes. Anything that's disk intensive, it just flys! If I had know how much of an improvement it would have made, I would have bought one sooner!

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. Nephilim

I couldn't agree with you more onejrs. I've never been happier with any other brand drive. Both my new PC's were built to be quiet which I accomplished quite well and despite their silence I can't hear any of those four Seagates running,reading or writing.

Funny, the two OEM 80's I got had the jumper installed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Seagate I have also seems slightly thinner than usual. I've also developed a liking for Samsung drives, their seek noise practically isn't, although their 120Hz vibration could be much improved, you need a fair bit of dampening for that, but in a quiet case, they are pretty much inaudible.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This you have to see! The perfect case for a hot Prescott or Presler. Of course that ruins the barbecue! LOL!!

[​IMG]

This sucker has 2 250MM fans, one in the front (DUH) and one on the side! Just could be a bit loud! LOL!! What's next, Vacuum cleaner motors?

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. Nephilim

Don't let your cat walk too close when it's on high - it might get sucked in.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

this is the case i am going with this week along with the new Opteron 185 i got

[​IMG]

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Sharp looking case. Cases are a bad word around here right now. I should have had the new Cooler Master shown below!
    [​IMG]
    UPS has been the shipper for 2 cases I bought in the last year. They have managed to lose both of them. Pisses me off that I have to wait 8 days (weekends don't count!) for an investigation, before Newegg will even ship me a replacement case and then 3 day UPS ground. The last case was purchased from Computer Geeks. It took 3 days before the Geeks would file a trace and then 8 days after that. It turned up in the back of another driver's truck on the 8th day, a Friday. You guessed it, I didn't get it until Monday which was the 13th day. The box had been opened and repacked, but the person who "stole" it didn't put the styrofoam back in right and the whole corner of the case is smashed. Geeks informed me that they have a strict 5 day replacement policy so they wouldn't do anything for me! Neither would UPS!

I had a lot of other bad experiences with Computer Geeks of Oceanside Ca. so I don't do business with them at all anymore. What finished it for me was calling them to see if they had some DVD burners in stock that were on sale. Confirming that they did and then driving down there, filling out my order only to be informed at checkout by the rudest B17ch I've ever seen, that it was a "pull", but they had the same exact thing right down to the Model number for $21 more. The old "Bait and Switch"! 6 customers who were standing in line put thier stuff on the floor and left with me. Stay away!!! They are a bunch of crooks!

I've got all the other parts except the memory, but no case to put them in and my customer is not happy! I'm pissed because if I lose the sale, I'm out $527 for the parts plus $598 profit! (Price was $925) Newegg won't take anything back but they will refund me for the case if I want! Golly Gee!! Then to top it all off, The MB, Asus DVD-Rom and the memory came today in 2 seperate boxes. I unpacked the DVD and the memory only to find no memory packed in the box. I have to wait on that as well. That's pretty good! They have about $175 of my money plus shipping for a case and 1 GB Corsair DDR400 that I don't have and I have to wait for them to "investigate" it! All I keep hearing is how sorry everyone is. Sure they're sorry, it's my money and my time, not thiers! I've spent over $14,000 with Newegg this year alone so I'm just a tad bit upset with thier attitude right now!

I sure hope everything goes right with your build and I wish you the best of luck with it! It should rock!

Happy Computering,
    theone

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah i would be pissed at newegg also

yes i am happy getting the Opteron 185 for 349.00 ,it should do me good for the next several years

11. AE27

AE27 Regular member

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i like the second one better ,wonder what the price is

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    I meant to ask, who makes that case of yours? I count 4 fans that I can see! does it come with desk anchors so it doesn't hover around the room? LOL!

I also meant to ask, when's the 185 set to go? Anytime soon?

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ its an Antec case it has 5 fans ,2 in the front, 1 in the back , 1 one the side(not pictured) ,and a 200mm on top heres the link

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900#

the new case and the Opteron 185 is happening this coming week. so by next sat. it will be complete

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yay! New computer parts are FUN!

Hooray for all!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

250mm fans? That should be silent as they'd only need to run at like 600rpm. I like the Antec 900 as a concept with the x120mm and 1x200mm, the cooling must be superb, but I personally think it's quite ugly.
    Russ: UPS are also masters of messing things up over here too, try getting something collected! No chance. Even Amtrak are better (don't know what they're like in the US, but in the UK they're also pretty poor). Citylink seem to do an OK job. As long as you answer the door within 3 seconds of them ringing the doorbell you'll get your parcel on time. They literally ring it and then go back to the van....
    A Thermaltake Mozart? Again nice idea but I dislike the styling. Gosh I'm picky! The Armor's quite nice actually IMO. I may very well get a small fileserver PC to supplement this one and I think I'm going to go with an NZXT Apollo.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Masochist! LOL!!!!!

theone

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Ok, i think they are cool cases, but what are you trying to cool... 10 prescotts? I must be missing the point. as the newer intel conroe chips require less watts, there fore much less cooling. So what is the need for a case that is that efficient, or offers water cooling? That is what was needed for the prescott. The zalman always does the job on air.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Baltekmi,
    I guess you haven't noticed that some of the SLI set ups are about 300 watts! True, they exhaust out the back but the source of the heat from that wattage still resides inside the case. 4 drive Raid setups make a lot of heat as well. That's why you are seeing 750, 850 and 1000 Watt power supplies! All of those Watts translate into heat!

As far as the Zalman doing the job, it doesn't work very well in a dusty climate like where I live in the high desert. It constantly clogs up the fins with dust and is a b17ch to clean, especially if you don't remove it, which is a b17ch in itself. The arctic is much easier as you can remove the fan without any tools and it's straight thru design makes it a much easier job! Even if you feel the need to take it out, which takes all of about 10 seconds, you can easily wash it in the kitchen sink, something you can't do with the Zalman. Zalman, at least on the 9500 should have used the fan to pull the air through it rather than push it, as all the crud collects just in front of the fan and is compressed nicely by the air pressure from the fan. That's why mine was getting too hot! It would have stayed cleaner longer, to boot!

You can used a can of compressed air but they are about $8 here and don't last through very many cleanings!

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I've noticed my 7000 become a bit of a carpet too. Still does a good job of cooling the CPU, but it can't be as good. never noticed this with my old Arctic cooling heatsink...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.