1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Baltekmi
    The CPU-Z showed the overclock. So nothing was being hidden with the bench and I didn't see it as a Conroe comparison. At least it didn't look like it to me. We were talking about how far the AMDs would go. Kivory666 said the Conroes OCed better. He as much as said an OCed Conroe easily beats the OCed AMD. We talked about that over the past few pages. Nothing got skewed for me.

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

not in the cpu-z it's in the sandra .

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nice to see ya around docTY. taken abreak from your thread i c ...lol
    but its like you never left still getting harassment now matter what thread... but thats the price ya pay for being a top dog....dont let 'em get to ya. you are needed around here.....

as far as the intel vs amd. i dont know alot about either still new to this stuff.... from what i have seen and heard from other members that have both types. the new intels rock......hence why i got the ok from the bank(my wife) for my first build and it will be a intel. cant afford the 6600 but am looking at the 6400... any suggestions on a mobo for it. im only building one for burning disc and you every now and then online games....id like to keep the price for the mobo and cpu around 500. any help is appretated...
    thank you

pete rose for ever
    bart giamanti never..

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

pete rose should be in the hall of fame!
    go with the e-6300.. it has a whole lot of headroom for oc'ing if you can't swing the e-6600. and with the right mobo you can unlock the multiplier. You get a better bang for you buck with out all the heat...
    !

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Baltekmi
    We know the bench databasse is made up of stock settings. We also know not to accept and OCed Sandra bench as an even comparison to the processors in the stock database. If he'd had AMD processors in the slots, he'd be just as skewed against them. I just read the top line. If you're going to compare OCed processors, you have to show the benches of both. I take Kivory666's word his Conroe out OCs the opty 185. I sometimes don't pay attention to what I've put in the comparisons when posting a screenshot, it's the numbers and it's a comparison over stock processors, but doesn't actually compare the processors on an even level. You OC your system and do a bench, no matter what you do, according to your reasoning, you'll skew something. In that case, no benches. LOL I gues to be fair we should include the high end AMD and Intel each time we do a bench if we intend to post it. That way if somebody sees the bench and doesn't read they'll see equal skewing. ;) But then they'd miss the point with the OCed processor anyway.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

CincyRob
    I'm not DocTy, but while waiting for his response. I'd suggest you go to Asustek and look at the specs on their boards and then the eVGA board DocTy likes so much. That ones more for his OC experiment though. If you're not trying for a high OC, the Asus M2N is a good board. But then Gigabyte makes a good board too. My choice for a good workhorse with performance would be the M2N.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    This is my third BioStar MB. I was so impressed with the first 2 GForce 6100 M9s that I bought the TForce for myself. If you use the Overclocking Engine on manual and up the CPU speed and leave everything else on Auto it works like a champ. In addition you can go back and switch an Auto off and adjust the settings in that part with everything else being set automaticly. The BIOS has more than enough to insure good overclocking. It took only a little while to determind what the max speed is for my 4000+. I can play with all the adjustments right from the same menu just by clicking on them. Makes it much easier for a beginer or someone with very little knowlege af how the AMDs do things. If it crashes, it only defaults the item or items that caused the crash so you just change those values and try again instead of the bios resetting back to default. Nice feature and it saves a lot of time instead of having to reset everything every time it crashes. It's absolutely the most user friendly bios I've ever seen to date! You really don't need the manual as it teaches you as you go along.

Popular has nothing to do with it, it was the way Asus treated me. First they tried to screw me out of $40 by claiming that the CPU socket was damaged. I provided pictures showing it being packed and showing the Ser # of the MB with an undamaged socket and they changed thier tune. Then they said that it must have been damaged in shipping. I don't see how as socket 775 socket caps fit tighter than a locked chastity belt! Then they lied to me about shipping it. I got an e-mail from them confirming that they had shipped it on Tue. When I finally was able to get a tracking number, I found that both the invoice and the shipping ticket weren't even made until 3 days later on Fri! I don't like being jerked around and I don't like being lied to. Then to get it back with the problem it was sent in for not being fixed! Time to take my business elsewhere for now!

Some folks really got on me because I cooked the MB. It was my fault I bought a cheap PS! I point out that all Asus had to say "sorry no Warranty, you cooked it" and I would have thrown it away and bought a new one! They took it for warranty and that's that!

Besides, someone has to test one of these other brands so it might as well be me! I can't say I am surprised at how good this MB works as discounting the idiots in the reviews, you know, the ones that badmouth the MB because they didn't plug in the HSF and the CPU burned up or crashes. My personal favorite is the guy that asked "if he could run it without the CPU cooler as the cooler hadn't come yet"! He only wanted to run it long enough to install all the software! ROFL!! This MB has turned out to be everything I expected and more! I'm glad to see BioStar stepping up thier efforts and I think this will become a very popular MB for socket 939. Same goes for the AM2 version if it works as well!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Theonejrs
    Go to Asus and read up on the specs of the 939 boards, pay attention to the A8N and the A8N32. You'll see they have advanced for the performance market. They have all that Biostar has, probably more, especially the a8n32. I looked at both. There isn't a lot of difference, except some brand special offerings. The A8N uses a Award BIOS same as TForce. In fact you could probably read the asus manual to understand part of how the TForce BIOS works. The similar stuff, not the brand specific items. The power management of the a8n32 makes it a better choice in my book. Plus the full x16 of the PCI express slots for the SLI.

I've been lucky I guess. I've never had to return a Asus to Asus. If they make it past the RMA period, they usually last. If not I get an exchange from the vendor. Hate to see you cut yourself off from a good product over a support issue. If that was the case, I'd never buy another thing from Newegg or Zipzoomfly and they're 2 of the better vendors.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Theonejrs
    I forgot. You make it sound like the BIOS of a AMD system is something really different. Not so. If you understand the Award BIOS in an Intel platform, you can in a AMD. The big difference is the HT multiplier and clock multiplier. The rest is just in deciding if you want to go manual or let some things run auto. Depends on how high you want to OC. You should read the article by lemonlime at short-media that I suggested to estuansis. Being a beginner with AMD you might take a while to understand some of it, but the difference is in doing the math. You'll know what I'm talking about if you read the article.

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@baltekmi

then
    anyways, you just basically confirmed WHY i don't like sharing knowledge here about PCs...if you don't know how to interpret cpu-z and sandra benches or are not familiar with them, why do you even bother saying something about it? it's putting ONE and ONE together, you can see from my cpu-z reading what i currently have the opteron clocked at, i even went as far as stating that CLEARLY in my first post with the screenshots.

ANY overclocking enthusiast knows that Sandra has generic benches for the other cpu's you can choose from in the list, naturally, that is how they would perform STOCK...sandra doesn't have arithmetic for "oc'ed" cpus so it's not even a choice for me to choose let's say for example a comparison of a "4400+ x2 overclocked" or a "fx-60 overclocked" in the benchmark... :)

how I have "skewed" MY results is beyond me...how many times in the past have i stated that IF BUILDING FROM SCRATCH at this point, the Core 2 duo is the platform i would PERSONALLY recommend to someone? it has even been reiterated multiple times by PacMan777 quoting me...

whatever, i'm DONE with this thread...if you want to argue with me about numbers and overclocking, about benchmarks being "fair" at STOCK levels vs. that of Overclocked levels; go build BOTH an AMD dual-core system AND a Core 2 duo system as i have then come talk to me about performance of the two and how far each will overclock.

what do i need to prove to you? absolutely nothing...i simply posted up the screenshots NAMELY for theonejrs so he could see what kind of scores are possible with an overclocked opteron 185 that he had stated in the past he MIGHT be purchasing in the near future if his budget allows. he had asked for some benchmarks from aabbccdd who also has the same processor, but i just happened to get my testing done before he did...i posted them up so theonejrs could see the POTENTIAL and the MIPs he was interested in...

when did i EVER compare my opteron scores to a Conroe? you want me to put up my OVERCLOCKED Conroe E6600 scores too? just so your Intel fan-boyism can be satisfied? and see how a Core 2 duo will DEMOLISH even an overclocked AMD? f*** here u go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any other tests you would like? damn..how bout a super-pi?

[​IMG]

now i'll probably hear about me "skewing" these results as well...if you can't achieve similar OC'in results as i have, then it comes down to OVERCLOCKING experience, or lack thereof, if comparable parts are used...

i've built Core 2 duo systems that will obliterate 99% of the systems that have been posted here on AfterDawn (the only exception i can think of off the top of my head is BigDK's own water-cooled E6600 which is comparable to my own)

the war between Intel vs AMD obviously continues with fanboys on both sides adding fuel to the fire, it's not about "what i read on the web"..it's about PERSONAL FIRST-HAND experience, if you've never overclocked a Core 2 duo or an AMD dual-core, what then do you suppose you could POSSIBLY add to the discussion? other than your OWN opinions as to which you READ about is superior? but not having any ACTUAL experience to back that up?

i'm done....unsubscribed.

docTY

p.s. cincyrob, yeah, don't matter where i go...still same crap...PM me, i'll walk you through part by part in your new build...congrats!

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Attitudes and more attitudes. Nobody is questioning the current superiority of Intel unless they've been misinformed or not kept up. Kivory666 in his short visit has proven he understands both AMD and Intel. All that hassel because somebody misread the intent of a screenshot and the thread loses a good contributor. Now I'm waiting for someone to jump me so I can leave after my short visit. You're lucky, I don't have much to add. LOL

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

sorry, wrong pic

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

[​IMG]

Here I did the sandra bechmarks. For all to see...*looks at Kivory666's benches and faints after having an extremely violent heart attack*

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That was a good bench shot and good for a mild OC. You're not likely to get into any trouble there and the performance is better than the 4800 which is 2 jumps up the scale. All that for just cranking up the numbers. Way to do it, you showed a base 4400 for comparison and showing the 4800 was a good touch. Now if you show the CPU-Z like Kivory666 did, we can get a better picture of your performance.

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

baltekmi you just won a week vacation. We're all for debate here but a person crosses the line when they become snide towards other contributors. This threads been going smoothly for some time now and I aim to keep it that way so keep it chill when you come back.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thanks, but CPU-Z is being stubborn with me and won't show my clocks. It says the model and cache and whatnot but it gives a blank in my bus speeds and clocks. Could it be a conflict with something?

I'm gonna try and find out what's wrong. Maybe my mobo is defective in some way?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    You better stock up on smelling salts and Nitro pills then because he's still got a long way to go. The 185 is well capable of much better once it's tweaked up right.

Very nice bench by the way! That's right at about 20% But fear not cause Kivory is going to pass you like a shot! Right now he's just using some basic settings. He's also very good at this so I hope he comes back! I know for a fact that the 185 can break under 12 sec for Super Pi! I was hoping to watch the Master and learn!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I just can't get it to work right GRRR! I Tried a few different settings but it doesn't seem to want to post my clocks and bus so I'm gonna write them.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Stock Clock - 2199MHz
    Stock Bus - 199.9MHz
    Stock Mem Speed 333.5MHz
    Stock Multiplier - 11
    Stock HTT Multiplier - 5
    Stock HTT Bus - 1999MHz

Overclock - 2610MHz
    OC Bus - 237.27
    OC Mem Speed - 370.77
    OC Multiplier 11
    OC HTT Multiplier - 4
    OC HTT Bus - 1898.16MHz

Super PI - 30 Seconds(another testament to Kivory666 who blew me away)

I'm going to play around with my multiplier and see if I can't beef up my bus. Maybe that'll give me a nice boost. my memory is top notch so it should get to DDR2 800 fine. But I'll save that for tomorrow.

Sorry I can't give you anything official. If I can get CPU-Z to work I'll post it. I don't wanna look stupid :p

Edit:

@PacMan777

To answer your earlier question I ran a 26 hour Prime95 test and then a Memcheck and they all came up stable. I maybe still just a novice overclocker but I won't leave a new OC unchecked :)

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

One of the torture tests that's becoming a favorite for some people is OCCT. It will fully max the RAM and CPU. It has a 30 minute test and an indefinite setting. If a system is unstable or likely to overheat, OCCT will show it. Plus if not stable, it will say so quickly. When you start getting toward your limits, you may want to try it. I haven't found a torture test that works better yet. Plus it tells you your OC specs and OC percentage so you don't have to use a calculator.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That would be a help. When I get my tweaking done... I'll use it. But not this week, It's Christmas break. Sounds like it would be fun to use >:)

My overclock could be much better. I might turn down the multiplier to 10 and beef up my memory and bus speeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.