1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry for takeing so long in my reply... ive looked at the E6300 but for 40 bucks more i can get the E6400.. myself im not to worried about OC'ing this system. for one i dont know how..lol im just wanting a good strong system that i dont have to worry bout burning a movie and maybe checking on sports or other things online... ive heard alot about the ASUS boards. i actually have one now. small one. but isnt the intel boards more compatible with the core2duo????

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not really. The top board makers are in the business of making those boards compatible. Sales would take a serious hit if they didn't. Asus appears to be a big favorite around the forums. Gigabyte, eVGA, and DFI are others that crop up often. The P5W boards are a big favorite for use with the Core 2 Duo. That's what Kivory666 was using but is changing to a eVGA for testing after Christmas. You can get some first hand info from him. I'd go Asus if I was building a Conroe. That good manual they include helps a lot for the beginners and the board has safety features build in. Check out the Asus site. You can look at all the spces and download a manual for a board you're interested in while you're there.

3. TCstr8

TCstr8 Member

Wow, you guys really know your stuff. I'm going out tonight to start buying parts to build my PC. I'm looking at going with an AMD processor and wondered if you guys could provide some suggestions as to which AMD and also motherboard and video card (want to go with GeForce). I'm looking at spending about $500 on processor and mobo, and around $150 on video card. Thanks ahead of time for all your help. Oh and I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well for that money you can have AMD top 939 socket CPU which is the Opteton 185 i got it at Tiger Dircet for 349.00 but they won't last long.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2513653&CatId=2040

mobo

Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1645240&sku=A455-2124

Video Card i would go with at least an 7800-GTX (the 7600-GT would be a good card also depending on what games your playing) and its less expensive

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce7.html

check http://www.newegg.com also

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

happy Xmas guys...long time no see...need help...i currently looking for a good mobo for AMD Athlon X2 5000+ socket AM2...any good suggestions?...oh and SLi compatible of course...

thnx for helping

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Merry Christmas folks! Check this out!

I recieived a very interesting Christmas Present from Newegg! This is the content of thier e-mail to me!

Thank you for writing back to Newegg.

Please kindly note that we do not charge you for the replacement item
    since you do not receive the item you paid for you. It means that you
    actually only paid for one case. Now you have received both the
    original item and the replacement one. If you want to keep both of them,
    we normally need to charge you for the second one. However, considering
    the inconvenience that this has caused you, we would like to make a one
    time exception for you not to charge you for the replacement item. We
    would like to send it to you as a free gift. Now you can keep both of the
    items if you like.

If you have any other question or concern, please feel free to contact
    us.

Thank you,

Selma Duan
    Customer Service Representative

Now that's what I call Customer Service! When I e-mailed her and explained that the lost case had arrived 1 day after the replacement, and that the box the Cooler Master Cavalier came in was all but destroyed, but the case was unscratched (wet cardboard, I think!). I offered to buy it at a Discount to save them the cost of sending me another box and shipping it back. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause! This is what Newegg gave me for Christmas!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119075
    Very Nice!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Very Cool!!!!!!

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lucky you theonejrs...at least u got a Christmas...i didnt get one...

ok so anyone know any good mobo for the AMD 5000+ AM@ CPU...and SLi compatible?

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

that mobo sure is good and cheap but is doesnt support socket AM2...but i was thinking of getting this one...
    M2N32 WS Professional...wat do u guys think

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    You could have knocked me over with a feather! And I wasn't asking for it for free either. I offered to take it off of their hands at a reasonable discount because the box was destroyed. One of the styrofoam end caps was reduced almost to little pieces. Not a bit of damage to the case, not even a little scratch. Amazing! The box had been soaked pretty good so I guess the damp cardboard helped protect it.

Then again, I've seen UPS throw a package over my fence about 25 ft. It was an IDE drive. Notice I said it was! Made horrible noises when I plugged it in! When I called to complain I was told that the driver was afraid of the dogs! I told the lady that the dogs are penned up and can't get out and if they would just look at the customer notes they would see that it's all written right there!

The new case is about 1.5" deeper than my old case and about an inch taller. That doesn't sound like very much but it makes all the difference in the world how well things fit. Now I have to get me some round IDE cables and put each drive on it's own IDE channel. I'm just using 1 for the moment for both the Rom drive and the burner and no floppy drive. Can't find one in silver, so another flat cable bites the dust!

How's the 185 coming? I know!!! It's the Holidays. DocTY gave me a preview of his but he has a ways to go yet.

Anyway, everyone have a safe and Happy New Year!

Theone

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

The Opteron 185 is great runs a bit faster than the Opteron 175 for sure .

i wasn't able to open the email file you sent me though sorry

and thats great on the case ,nothing like free stuff huh lol!!

now i am having problems with my 20.1 inch montior the DVI-D output doesn't work i get NO signal when it boots to the desktop but the DVI-A connection works fine figure that huh lol

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    What was the problem with the file? Do you have Win RAR? If not, it's not a big program and I will send it to you as it won't need to be compressed! I tried the files I sent you on a folder on my desktop and it worked fine so I'm puzzled.

You have to put both files in a seperate folder folder and then just double click on part 1 and it should extract them with no problem as long as you have Win RAR installed. The default directory will be inside whatever folder you used to put parts 1 & 2 in. You can then move that folder anywhere you like! Let me know and I'll send it right away. Glad to see you're happy with the Opty!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

GTR35
    Here's a listing at Newegg, good info, but you may find a better price with PriceGrabber.com. The Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131011
    Note the 8 phase power management and true X16 in sli for both slots instead of the X8 for many boards. Pricey, but the board has all the bells and whistles and makes a fine home for a high end AMD processor. Then there's the lesser M2N(s) at less cost. There may be an M2N32-SLI without the Wireless at a lesser cost. Check the boards at http://www.asus.com/ .

Maybe Estuansis will comment on how well his is working.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just thought I'd say hello again after a week-long christmas break. Looks like your got a bit of a rebate from all the bad luck with Asus and UPS eh Russ?

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I was at my friends birthday party last night and today. I built him a PC for free because he has a single parent and they couldn't afford it.

E6300
    MSI P965 Platinum
    2x512MB Patriot Signature DDR2 667
    eVGA 7600GT
    120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II
    Samsung Combo Drive
    400W Enermax Liberty
    Aspire Xplorer

Came to like 900 something after tax. I got it all at the local shop for a quick build.

I got him a copy of FarCry for $15 and a copy of Half-Life 2 for $25.

He started crying really hard and he gave me a BIG hug. I felt so good :)

I now officially have about $1200 left in my PC fund :)

EDIT: I'd never seen a PC start up so fast! That E6300 easily matched my 4400+!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh man, I applaud that. That's a butt-kicking gift too. Kudos a hundred times over!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    A very nice rebate indeed! Welcome back! Hope you had a nice Holiday!

It must be pre-destination as I bought both my Asus and NEC optical drives in silver because they were considerably cheaper than the same drive in black. I put everything together on boxing day and it looks and works great with only two small minor complaints. The power LED is the brightest blue light I've ever seen! Like one of those LED flashlights. In the dark it lights up the whole wall across the room. Set a Coke can in front of it the first night! LOL!! I also had some minor difficulty with the thinner Seagate Barracuda drive and the screwless drive mount lining up with the little pins that go in the screw holes. With the very minor difference in case size, the difference in room inside the case is amazing. It makes it so much easier to route the wiring neatly. Makes for a much cleaner looking installation. Reversing the door took all of 30 seconds. The door and the lower bezel are machined from solid aluminum stock with and anodized facing and swings open very easily, with 2 tiny magnetic catches that hold on the 2 lower faceplate screws. Clever!!! Very quiet case! The idle temp is only 28C in a 20C room, so it does a nice job of cooling things off.

Thank you Newegg for a completely unexpected Christmas gift!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

theone, sounds like a very nice case. My Silent Storm has a moulded aluminum front bezel and a steel case. I heard some versions came with a plastic bezel... but I lucked out :)

Edit: I have to applaud Dell on their cases too, my Dimension 3000 came with a moulded steel front bezel that is so strong I can hook my fingers in the bottom and lift the whole unit without so much as a bend, crack, or creak :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.