1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

theone, that last one seemed a bit "wonky". But I like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131046

ASUS P5L-VM, 945G Chipset. Looks good. Maybe I should have checked higher prices to begin with! I'm gonna order this one methinks.

And if Conroe ever becomes a priority for me I'll be good.

My new Pentium 4 541 3.2GHz
    ASUS P5L-VM 945G
    2x512MB Corsair ValueSelect DDR2 667
    My old Powercolor X800GTO 256MB
    Samsung Combo Drive
    120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 3GB/s
    Coolermaster Centurion 5
    Thermaltake 430W PSU

Should I make the order?

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lets hope being Intel is kicking AMDs ass at the moment

BUT i really like this Opteron 185 i OC(ed) it to 2.87GHZ and its actually running cooler than at stock. probably made the Zalman 9500 kick in and work harder overclocking it

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The reason I say it looks wonky is because of the fanspeed problems. I don't want a fried CPU. But the ASUS P5L seems better at that. If you recommend the GA-965P-DS3 over the P5L-VM I'll trust your judgement.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Your choice isn't a very good one. The on-board video plays a little havoc with the memory and PCIe 16x slot due to chipset limitations. You usually can't completely shut off the on-board video as if a video card failed you would have a problem getting a screen to set up the on board, so your memory is always less than it posts! At $134, it's $60 cheaper than the DQ6! Same chipset, 2 less on the S-ata 3.0s at 6!

Hey, I was honest about the problems that Gigabyte had with the DQ6 but as long as you use the right voltage memory (1.8v), there should be no problems. Asus and even Intel had many of the same problems with booting up and reseting. Everybody did in the begining. You also have to take into account the "Idiot Factor" when reading motherboard reviews. There was one guy that supposedly had lots of experience that screwed the MB down without the brass standoffs, right flat against the case! Grounded everything! LOL!!! Wonder what he thought the standoffs were for?

I've only had 2 MBs DOA and one that went south in a few days, in my life. The 2 DOAs were both ECS and the problem was that they claimed Prescott support for it when in fact it didn't have it! And the other was a BioStar GForce 6100 M9 that had a cracked bios chip. I shipped it to Biostar on Monday and had the new one Friday morning! I didn't RMA it to Newegg as they wouldn't have had it back to me in time to make my delivery date to my customer.

If the price of the DQ6 is too much then buy the GA-965P-DS3, it's still one of the best for overclocking the Conroe, or any socket 775 CPU for that matter. Whatever you get, make sure it doesn't have on-board video as it won't OC very well!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Alright I'll go for the Gigabyte DS3 board. Thank you for the recommendation :) No Overclocking planned as of yet but maybe I'll take it to 3.6?

Either way I'll order the stuff tomorrow and give you an update when it arrives. I'm expecting around Wednesday.

6. wg1

wg1 Member

I've been solidly behind Intel since 1999. At that time I was running an AMD Thunderbird 1.5 and my son had an Intel P3/733. We both had comparable ram, the same video cards, and in all respects (except mb and cpu) basically the same layout. His P3 definitely blew me out of the water in performance and stability. That was my last AMD system.

BTW... that P3/733 is still running strong (I'm using it right now). When my son upgraded to his P4/3.0, I bumped up the P3 with 1gb RAM and 250gb HD .. same mb & running XP without a hitch as well as crunching out videos. I only use my P4/2.8 for things I want done a bit faster or are more graphic intensive.

This is a solid Intel family here. Just built a P4/2.8 for my daughter.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then I've no idea what happened, a 1.5 Thunderbird should be far faster than a P3 733, although the Thunderbird was not one of AMD's best processors, it should be better than that! At the moment, Intel are the performance king, but you're quite small-minded to only ever buy Intel products, and have been missing out over these last few years!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Wg1,
    Back then, the P3 was the class of the field if your MB supported the 133MHz front side bus. If you had the 733/512/133, you had the best of the day. I still have a dual P3 1000/512/133 and it will run rings around any P4 until the Northwood came along.

The type of memory had a lot to do with that speed as well. Rambus Ram was a good deal faster than the SDRAM. Many of the P3s of the day had MBs that supported Rambus, while the Athlons were stuck with PC100 or PC133. Heat was also a big issue with some of the old Athlons given the poor CPU coolers back then.

As far as your P4 2.8 being fast, if it's a 2.8/800 and not a 2.8/533 it's OK but an Athlon XP 2800+ will smoke both of them! I own an Intel 3.2GHz D-940 dual-core which is OK but the 2.4GHz Opteron I plan to replace it with will be a good 25% faster and will run much cooler than the D-940 when both are overclocked. I used to own a 3.0/800/Prescott and the 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 4000+ I just built is better in every way, stock or overclocked! The dual-core 2.4GHz Opteron 180 will be roughly twice as fast as the 4000+. Below the Conroe, Intel has nothing to compete with the AMDs!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

25%? A bit conservative isn't it? LOL

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127005

would be my recommendation for a cheap 775 mobo if you had overclocking in mind. the ga 945pl s3 is a good cheap board but i dont think you would get much more than a 30mhz oc. the ab9 should give you around 3 times that when you overclock it. assuming your ram will take you there.

plus at stock speeds it is the fastest mobo you can buy for a conroe(bios defaults to 272mhz fsb).

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I already made my purchase on Sunday. I'm gonna stick with Gigabyte on this one unless the Fatl1ty drops some more :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I fully expect the 180 to do stock what my D-940 does overclocked! The great unknown is how well the TF MB will handle things when I OC it. I just have to try it, given how well it did with the A 64 4000+. The TF isn't expensive enough to lose a lot of sleep over if it doesn't work out. Besides, I like stepping into the great unknown! LOL!! As you well know, I'm not a "Me Too" person and I can always use an extra AMD board for my next customer build! To my knowlege, no one in either Forum has done a 180 on any MB so it will be something me and everyone else can learn from.

BioStar was great to me in exchanging the first TF MB, same day and the problem seems to be related to the 4000+ only and is probably an nVidia problem. I plunked a 3800+ in it and it shuts right down with no problem. With the 4000+ it brings up the screen that says "it's safe to shut down your computer". No big deal as I always turn the PS off anyway. It's a minor annoyance at best, that will eventually be cured by a bios revision. It has no effect on the performance whatsoever. It's flat out the fastest single-core I'm likely to ever own! It does everything way better than my highly overstressed Prescott ever did and runs 20C cooler in the process.

Happy Computering,
    theone

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@Estuansis
    i only read it last night as i have left my pc alone since before xmas.

if you do oc it could you post your findings in that thread please, as a new bios can work wonders on this and it may now be the case.

nice 1.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

...Dunno if an OC is really necesarry. I think I'll just suffer and appreciate it at stock :)

15. xomblei

xomblei Member

yeah one 7600gt works the same right now, but most of the games i have/ that are out don't really need two... I'm mainly using two video cards for multi display... i edit audio for my band and i like to have all that desktop space for functionality and ease of use... i only enable sli when I'm playing something like quake 4 or fear... or COD2 on a really high res (1600 by some other crazy number)

but yeah mainly for multi display

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Multi display? How many screens do you have? You can run two, or technically even 3 screens off a single graphics card!

17. xomblei

xomblei Member

well right now i only have one, in the next month or so i'll be using 4 total.

yeah i COULD use my svideo out from one but i'd rather have 4 dvi outs

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough, 4 monitors, what will you use them all for?

19. xomblei

xomblei Member

i mix/ edit audio for my band and a few others on pro tools. First window is the edit window, second window is the mix window, third window is for plugins as well as the fourth, though if i'm not using that many plugins (which is highly unlikely) i can use it for maybe a movie or you know whatever else i could be doing while waiting for pro tools to bounce the audio... Gotta love that dual core :)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe yeah, you want a screen like mine, or even the smaller 24" version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.