1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I sure hope to heck it's faster considering the price tag. It should be as the bus speed is a bit higher! As far as Hyper Threading, the only real benefit is if you are using an application that can make use of it. I turned it off on my Prescott and there was a little difference with some multi-threaded applications, but nothing to get very excited about. Still a little bit of improvement is always worth something to someone looking for that last ounce of performance.
    I wouldn't mind the seemingly endless updates so much if they sometimes wouldn't change the way I like my computer to work. I didn't appreciate a welcome screen where I had to sign in, since I haven't had one for over a year. I prefer to boot straight into Windows as I have no other users on my machine and no kids messing around with it and have never created a Profile!. I also resent that if Micro$oft deems a program or a file "Potentially Dangerous" it will permanently block sending it to someone else if you are using Hotmail. It also blocks some files that you know are no threat for a virus or anything else. A member of this thread once sent me an Plug-in for a piece of software that I happen to own and while it got recieved, it was imediately deleted as "Potentially Harmful" when I tried to open it. And I mean Deleted! It was compressed and sent again, same thing! The file finally got it's name changed and compressed and it worked fine. I think Micro$oft takes a very liberal license when it comes to things like that. They need to join the RIAA!! ROFL!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The price doesn't seem to be justified by even those inclusions. I think it best to try to avoid the EE and the D with all the better dual cores out. They were kind of like the deformed children Intel didn't want to advertise. The Pentium 4 EE Gellatin core was very good though.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pacman, I use a Zalman heatsink, the basic Al/Cu hybrid version and that's still very good. However, for the price, and considering how well it works, I think the Arctic Cooling heatsink is still an excellent buy.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

In a common example they give for hyperthreading they use a 2 lane highway with cars moving along. That's the information path on your PC, in and out. Hyperthreading just adds extra lanes, which means more traffic, data transfer, can be handled. There's no need to turn it off except maybe for testing.

The P4 EE is an Extreme Edition and the Extremes have been notoriously high priced. There was a socket 478 and 775 in 130nm build process and the newer 90nm which had a 3.73GHz. Later EE(s) had the support of a 1066MHz FSB. It's a product of Intel's Netburst technology. So is the Pentium D. Intel knew the problem and was already working on the Core 2 Duo while they were selling the Netburst dual cores (and single cores). They were staying in the market as AMD is doing with their poor showing of the quad core. They have one even if not the best. Intel was doing the same before.

A single core Intel Netburst CPU running at high speeds may be competitive for applications where only a single core is needed. Such as gaming with no other intent for the PC during it's use for that. Single core and a single task. Dual cores have proven to be better suited to the real world. AMD proved that over the old Intel single cores, so we're just revisiting old ground there. AMD beat Intel with their Hypertransport till Intel came out with Core 2 Duo (not to be confused with Core Duo). Nowadays get a Conroe or at least an AMD dual core; unless just upgrading current systems that are already built. It's best to stay away from the older tech Intel Netburst processors. That's for performance issues compared to price. For many people an older single core is all they need.

With the less expensive offerings of better CPUs nowadays, it only makes sense to go with Intel Core 2 Duo or an AMD dual core.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

They're always doing reviews and showing us benchmarks. That has to be taken into account when we choose our parts. I notice you chose a Zalman when you ordered your custom PC. That alone says something.

I've agreed, there's a number of good buys available. I'm just pointing out that Zalman has an excellent record and has become a popular item with many custom builders. Your choice was a good one for an extra edge over stock with no plans for extreme OC(ing). The larger models add a few build issues concerning space, but do a superior job of CPU cooling. Like I said, we see benches and reviews, but it also pays to watch what the more experienced builders are going with.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

PacMan777, you are so well spoken and intelligent *admires*

I too have noticed how both companies produce "filler" CPUs while they develop new products. Intel's Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are a great example.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't feel very intelligent at times. I've suffered to learn what little I have and I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. ;)

Maintaining a market presence is business as usual. Companies have to match their competitors, or at least try. You're right, the Core Duo is a good example. And now AMD is doing it with their quad. Companies try to match their opposition while developing new, better, and/or improved products. The Pentium D 900(s) were better than the earlier Netburst releases, just not as good as the AMDs. That's what R&D is all about. So we shouldn't fault companies for competing and then presenting newer and better products. We penalize them enough by not buying (or not as much) when they present us with inferior products to those of their competitors. Intel lost sales to AMD when AMD developed Hypertransport and incorporated that into their CPU architecture. Then AMD did it again with dual core. Intel was doing the best they could while playing catch up, but enthusiasts and other parts of the PC market were leaning toward AMD. Now Intel turned the table and the shoe is on the other foot. Let's hope the competition continues and we'll keep seeing improvements from both companies. They get their rewards (in money) when they give us their best and it beats the competition.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  8. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

thats a View Sonic-VX2245wm 22" Widescreen miss type

thanks for the info Sam.

and Pacman77 the View Sonic-VX2235wm 22" Widescreen was 366.00 last weekend online and 399.00 at the store and i have one within 20 miles from me. but they match the online price in store .hummmm everyone does that its always less expensive on line than in store why

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The reason I say it is when I do a price finder search with PriceGrabber or Bizrate, I find better prices online than in local stores. Some stores like BestBuy and Circuit City have the same prices, but sometimes shipping comes into play. With large stores with a nationwide prescence it can sometimes be cheaper to deal locally, but overall, the best prices are online, at least in my experience.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Also, what store?

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah it was Circuit City that had it for 366.00

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on the heatsinks, but the reason I'm using the Zalman was that the system builder was out of Arctic Freezers at the time.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The top models are all good. Then there's the die-hard gamer who'd say, "I'de like one of these please"!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835702002

I met a guy at a lan party running a rig like my D-940 at 4.55 with one these babies strapped on to it. Showed a CPU display right on the front of the case! I heard of a guy at 4.6 and another over 5.0 but I want to see benches and prime runs first.

I don't play but my enjoynent lies in watching someone talented and and enjoy the senaio they create because they're too busy playing the game to enjoy it in that way! It's just fun to watch!

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The top models are all good. Then there's the die-hard gamer who'd say, "I'de like one of these please"!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835702002

I met a guy at a lan party running a rig like my D-940 at 4.55 with one these babies strapped on to it. Showed a CPU display right on the front of the case! I heard of a guy at 4.6 and another over 5.0 but I want to see benches and prime runs first.

I don't play but my enjoynent lies in watching someone talented and and enjoy the senaio they create because they're too busy playing the game to enjoy it in that way! It's just fun to watch!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A peltier cooler, I was wondering when they'd start using them for CPUs. The temperatures that thing can sustain are incredible.
    Out of interest Russ, what were you doing at a LAN party?

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

From the posting segment where you were discussing your build, I got the impression it was because Zalman had such a good reputation and your builder friends recommended it. I didn't see the part about an Arctic, I was just skimming through the posts.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That type unit has been in use for a while. The problem is cooling the hot side of the exchange so that it doesn't damage system components. I guess they're getting better with the insulation and heat exchange. Just look at the size of that exchange unit. I think I'd go fluid first. There's some inexpensive models that do a decent job without having to deal with the heat of a Peltier unit. That's just a personal preference.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be quite honest, I rarely see occasion for where above and beyond air cooling is necessary. I'm more than happy with my Zalman 7000, but I'll probably go for an Arctic Freezer 7 for my next CPU if it's a C2D, an equivalent for K8L if not, because they're so cheap and seem to do a job nearly as good as a Zalman, even if not better.

19. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Pacman777

that View Sonic-VX2235wm 22" Widescreen is 366.00 plus it has an 30 dollar rebate making it 336.00 thats a pretty good deal.at Circut City

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    Like I said I, like to watch other people play. A friend of mines son invited me to go!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.