1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough! I think they're great, can't wait for the next one next weekend.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When you find Arctic better, supply the links to the review. I'd like to see if it's a sales promo or a legit comparison. So far Tomshardware, Anandtech, PC World and others usually show Zalman in or near the lead with CPU air cooling. It's up to the buyer though to figure if the edge is worth the price difference.

Like you implied, if you don't need it, why waste the money? With you not OCing your system, you don't even need the 7000. I agree though, it gives you an extra edge on the cooling and will allow tweaking the system a little if you decide to later. All those different brands, that's what the competitive retail market is all about. Just think what the prices might be if we only had one supplier for coolers. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I wish that had been available when I bought my last monitor.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The great thing about the 7000 is that I can still play games with the fan at 5V!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    I don't think there would be any links to it as I think Sam is talking about his experience. Like mine, it has shown both of us that for our rigs the Arctic is better by about 5C average. I spent the better part of 9 days (ask Sam) testing both coolers on 3 different platforms under all kinds of conditions. Some folks went so far as to question whether I had actually done all that work (I did. I was bored!!!) I had the time and the coolers, with nothing to do so I tested! This was like 6 months ago so I've already taken down the links from Image Shack. I also tested Arctic Silver 5 vs Arctic Silver Ceramique. Both did about the same! The Silver is more thermal conductive but the ceramique has more particles per sq. Inch, so the heat transfer is about the same.

Since my customer is ill, I'm going to pull the side fan and modify the duct and see if it runs cooler like the arctic did. Since there both the same case but different platforms, I'm not trying to compare anything but I want to know if the 9500 benefits from just using the side duct and if the fan was causing problems with the HSF air flow like it was on the F7! Hey! It's something to do!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I guess that's an added reason to have your Zalman. ;) Looks like you made a decent choice.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

theonejrs
    I seem to be sensing a bit of hostility on your part. But don't include Sammorriss where he may not want to be included. Sammorriss appears to be an intelligent university student. He has acknowledged the fact that he is not yet a builder and has only observed differences of his associates and by researching, not as a builder himself. He's shown he knows what a PC is made of from his wise choice of components for his system. It's a lot like something I'd build with a few slight mods. I never heard of him having an Arctic in his current rig, so how would the personal experience have been gained. Sam is a likable sort and I don't think you need to be putting words in his mouth.

I read a lot of the AMD vs Intel posts here and at the DVDHounds.com forum (you suggested I look at) and noticed you put your 9500 in backwards at first. I have no idea what else you may have done. Maybe the unit was faulty. No manufacturer is perfect, that's why they have a warranty. Did you try getting a replacement for the unit you were using since it was doing so poorly. Or was it in a condition that was unreturnable? Have you actually tested a proven good 9500 against your Arctic? But then of course you have. So far I've seen you slamming two of the leaders in equipment that many custom builders prefer, Asus and Zalman. That's your choice, but I find it against what most of the industry reviews show. I think even your friend Sammorriss will agree with that.

Since this thread seems to have some members who want to protect their turf and I need to get back to work, I'll turn it back over to theonejrs and his associates. Wonder where DocTy went?

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Don't feel like their being hostile. They may get a bit excited but both these guys are very cool :p

theone, Just wondering but, do you play any games at all? I'd like not to think you got that X800GTO and unlocked it just to check you email!

9. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Congrats to pacman777!
    The new defender of the thread. Peace with you my brother!

I personally use the TT pipe 101 heatsink with the Vantec tornado. i also have another Vantec tornado blowing air on the tt pipe 101 and 1 vantec tornado to pull it all out of the back! Keeps the p-4 3.2 (oc'd to 3.6 at 38c idle and never gets above 50 on encoding or playing games.

Now is it loud??!?!? heck yes. When I start up my computer people step back going what the heck? Would the artic cooler or zalman work any better... probably. But I love the noise. I use a zalman on my d-805 (oc'd to 3.4) and I get great results. Not used to no noise though.

Now i am building my conroe and will use the zalman 9500 (out of vanity) the artic cooler would probably work just as good.( should of bought it but my grandson thinks it is cooler looking!)
    So everyone have a great night!

P.S. Any suggestions for a PS For My new build? 1 Vid card

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I play Quake I, II and III. A bit of Pinball. Some Blake Stone and a bunch of old Colecovision Games with an emmulator program. The pipes came unlocked and showed as active once I installed the ATi Tool.

Happy computering,
    theone

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

baltekmi , whats your budget?

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I had an N64 emulator but it ran at about 1500FPS before I turned it down lol.

I had a bit of fun with the Prescott this evening. I took it up to 3.4 and then down to 2.4. It seems to take it well without a single stutter.

It's back at 3.2 and If I decide to put in a better PSU I'll take it up to 3.6.

I got the Arctic Cooler 7 and my fans. It cooled me down by about 8-10*C. Very nice. I also got the chance and picked up my fans. I rearranged my fan layout in the case. 1 120mm in the front and 2 80s on the back with a 90 in the side window. I had to use my dremel to cut it out so it fit.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If I was building now I would go with one of these HSF's http://www.coolerguys.com/840556021506.html Good price but too late I've already got a CNPS9500LED. No complaints with it. 29C no load and 41C loaded.

baltekmi,

I really like my modular hiper psu. Blue led's on both fans, match the led's on my 9500 and led on front of case. Rear fan stays on for about 5 min after I shut down the pc. I think sammorris has one too (could be wrong). Plenty of power for me since I only run 2 dvdrw drives, 2 SATA hdd's and only one video card although it is SLI ready. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128001

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One thing I can't hide about the Hipers though, is that now from personal experience after making my PC quieter, the noise from it in gaming is very noticeable, even above the stock cooler on my X1900XT. So if you game a lot and require low noise look elsewhere, but since you run Vantec Tornados, I doubt that's an issue, they're stable, reliable, high output units.

15. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I'd pay good money for good ps. have the abit AWD9D-MAX going to go with a mid to upper vid card(1) But i would like to have 1 12 v rail 30 amp.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I think the trick is to arrive at negative air pressure in the case, if your case has air vents like mine. I have an 80 in the front blowing in and the 120 in the back blowing out. Because of the negative pressure it very nicely draws cool air into the side and back vents as well as the CPU side air duct and works very well. Like I said in a previous post, any time you can remove a fan and it's noise and gain lower temps, you are doing good!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Definitely worth it. But don't just take my word for it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, from what I've read the X1900GT is a bit faster EDIT: than the 7900GS in most cases. So I think it could end up an issue of preference.

I would personally go with the X1900GT. They're supposed to be just a *bit* slower or equal to my X1800XT.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.