1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, and cheap. In the UK they're £105. When you consider I paid £327 for my X1900XT in June...

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

What is 1 pound sterling actually worth in American Dollars?

Because you guys have to be paying way more than what were paying. Some of your prices look like almost double.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They are, because import taxes are so expensive in this country. The X1900GT for example is £105 at the cheapest site I know, and at the current 1.9496 exchange rate that works out at $205.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow, raw deal. Does the income match up to the price bloat? Or are computers just a bigger undertaking for you guys?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure, but one would presume we do have to suffer paying more, since our currency is worth about twice as much as the US dollar, and yet we pay pretty much the same numeric value for components (I note when the X800 series cards came out, they were $450 in the US and £400 here).

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    I discovered a very interestig way to answer that.

The other day I decided to install the new Ares. I hadn't set up Netscape 7.2 yet so I went to IE! I did a search for Ares downloads. Up popped all sorts of warnings and cautions. I downloaded it anyway having used Ares for a while now with no problems. Once installed I had all sorts of problems crop up with my computer! It had to be shut down twice to turn it off! I did a XP repair from the XP CD and had a problem with one driver for something vague so I let it go. You guessed it, it would not shut down on the first try!

What I discovered tonight was that the problem didn't come from Ares, it came from Micro$oft! I used kill disk and completely wiped my C drive. I did a fresh install of XP Pro and service pack 2. The computer shuts down, no problem. I downloaded Ares again but with Netscape this time. Got no error messages or warnings and when I installed it, everything worked fine! Nothing bad in that download!

I can only conclude from all of this that M$ or one of it's partners corrupted the .dll file that was causing the problem, thinking that I would just blame Ares! I couldn't remove the .dll file either as I was denied access no matter what the settings! Ad-Watch 6 told me that there was a problem with this file but it couldn't delete it! It took a complete wipe of the C drive with killdisk to eliminate the problem, as if you just re-formated the drive and re-installed XP, it did the same thing!

Nice to know that M$ takes thier security so seriously and punishes you for ignoring thier warnings! Shame on me! Bad Boy!! LOL! Must be the M$/RIAA connection!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest...

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i had to redo 4 hrs of work on a customer's computer because microsoft's update site was infected with viruses.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd copy and paste my last comment...

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

theonejrs
    Since you directly addressed me I will respond. First off that was a rhetorical question. I was commenting on the holes in Microsoft which is common knowledge. That's why I use second party security.

If you turn off the active process, you should be able to delete the DLL. I installed Ares, which I don't normally use. I ran a search, then turned it off, and did a clean delete. I've used filesharing apps with IE with no problems. Filesharing being what it is, I suspect you may have picked up a virus or did something to alter your setup.

I got no warnings when using Ares other than Norton security wanting to know if I wanted to allow net access to the program. Since I receive no warnings and no problems and the program does a clean delete, I'd say the problem wasn't IE (unless externally caused) and possibly not the Ares. Feel free to tell us why it would work properly on my system and not yours. If it works for me, it should for anyone. There's nothing special about my setup. Anyone else can try the test as well. Ares is safe as long as you don't download a file with a virus. But that's the big problem with filesharing, a lot of practical jokers wanting to mess up systems.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    I laughed real hard when I read your reply. I knew that you were being rhetorical since Windows security is the biggest joke going, it's just this problem cropped up. I've since tracked it down a little further.

When you install the latest version of Ares Micro$oft detects it and creates a key logger. I found it in the registry keys and it clearly says Micro$oft! What else it does, comes into effect after the next re-boot. From that point on, you have to shut down the computer twice. I did a system restore to a previous day and problem solved. I removed Ares but I'll try an older version that I have been using for a while.

How it seems to work differently between 2 different computers, I can't say. It may well have to do with other software I have installed like DVD Re-builder or several rippers and other copy programs. I don't think there is any problem with the Ares download but judging by them installing a key logger tied to Ares, I think M$ actively seeks out the program and does something to the way the machine works when it finds it! I've no other explaination. Maybe that M$/RIAA conection is better than I thought! Micro$oft want me to blame Ares, when it's M$ creating the problem! Big Brother is definately watching. Maybe they're tagging me for future prosecution! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, is it possible you picked up the keylogger from the site you downloaded Ares from? I know what some sites are like, you've got to get p2p apps from the official site, not a site with the same name, i.e. http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net, and not ares.free-music-shared.com or ares.download-here.info.
    I do believe M$ would produce something like that, but there's not a load of evidence...

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorriss
    Good point.

theonejrs
    I have Rebuilder, RI4M, AnyDVD, DVDFab Decrypter and a bunch of other programs for doing DVD backups. Sammorriss is probably closer to the solution. I had no logger problems or any others during my short test with Ares, http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/ . The download from Sourceforge did like it was supposed to and deleted cleanly from XP. Normally, I only download apps like that from their official site like Sammorriss suggests. You must have picked up something along the way. You need to concentrate on good security habits and run a good security system along with Windows. Filesharing is just asking for problems. I find bugs in the downloads all the time. I don't think very highly of the firewall and security included with XP. I have no idea what you're running, but you've allowed a hole for a bug to creep in somewhere.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Where was the humor?

Now, about them computers... Anybody heard of any developments from AMD or Intel lately? Anything new or any improvements?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    I don't know, it's just when you mentioned about M$ security having holes I sort of put it in my mind right up there in the dependability of the crocheted Chamber Pot! You know how laughing is when it get's away from you. Nearly did myself a hurt!LOL!!

Speaking of New Intel stuff! Has anybody given any thought to Intel's "nano-tube" program and how close it might be to reality before we see something incorporating the technology. Last I heard it was about 2 years or more away. It would do awsome things if the technology were incorporated into a conroe for the home/office/games crowd, or a Xeon for the server market.

Happy computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

seems possible within the next decade, but i wouldnt have thought within the next two years, We won't have been on 45nm tech for long by then. So far what I gather is AMD's next offering will be available late summer/autumn time. What's it going to be called? AM3? K8L? Both? All I can gather is it wants to be a core 2 beater, and uses HyperTransport 3. Depending on how good that is, depends on whether i upgrade my CPU in 2007. If it's not significantly faster than the Core 2 Duo, I see no need to oust my X2 for a good year or two yet.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777
    I used your link and downloaded it again and have been using it with no problems. No keylogger either! I got my original download from C-net which has always been safe before. I'll let them know there's a problem with this file.

Thanks again,
    theone

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome.

19. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

I'm going to get a 3800 amd. i don't no if this is Any good . any suggestions on a mother board to go with it all in all i got £600 to spend don't no if its cheaper to buy a new computer or build my owe one need a lot of thanks .

20. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.