1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's fair cheaper to build your own. The 3800+ in my opinion (although others here may think otherwise) is good value for a build with that sort of limit, because it's still quite powerful, and now nice and cheap (I mean places like savastore sell them for £85). Combine it with a decent amount of brand memory, a midrange graphics card, and it can easily be done for £600.

2. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

I've got the 3800 and its quite good (I got the 939 version). As for the mobo I got a Gigabyte model and would reccomend it (look in sig).

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm more than happy with my 4200+, and my system cost me more than twice your budget, so you can see how powerful it is!

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Even though that isn't their top of the line mobo for socket 939, Asus mobo's are all I use. That's a great price for that system. I don't think you could build one for that, even close.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Baltekmi
    Since they're typing £ instead of $, they may not have a TigerDirect. That's a great deal though. Most places charge more for just an OEM FX60. I may just order one of those to build an extra PC.

Sammorriss
    I'll have to be one of those who disagree. I've seen it's often cheaper to buy a manufactured PC than build one. Dell, Gateway, HP, and others sell inexpensive PCs that would cost more if a person bought the components individually. Custom builders usually pay more attention to quality and performance. When it gets to the higher end PCs, then custom builds come closer in price and may sometimes be a bit less. If I just wanted an entry level PC, I'd buy a manufactured PC and save the trouble of having to put it together. Besides the PC itself, there's software and peripherals. Those are often included with a factory PC, but costs a builder extra.

7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

you think??? Even if you wanted to upgrade it... most have the parts!

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Yes you are probably right except for one big issue I have with those systems.... They are currupt with adware and offers on the os. Even though some systems use name brand mobo's, they are not mainstream motherbords that can be purchased except for the type mass produced for that model. Being Dell HP or others. They always have a restore disk that often doesen't work or puts the same Crap back on the hardrive. and if you want to reload the drivers, you have to go to the systems mobo model # from there website.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Baltekmi
    What adware are you referring to. All I've seen are some service offers such as IPs for connecting to the net and some offers on software upgrades from OEM. All of which could be deleted or turned off. Just the XP OS costs $100 or more. Most PCs shipped nowadays have the ability to make a backup disc. Most factory PCs no longer include them.

The mobos are usually decent quality, but the BIOS is locked to prevent tampering with settings that might damage the hardware. My last factory PC had Intel chipsets and wasn't obsolete for a few years. It still does well for a Socket 478. The only thing a person can do to improve system performance with those is to add RAM and a faster Processor. Turning up the settings isn't an option. You can see why. The manufacturer doesn't want to be responsible for user damages.

I used Gateway's and Dell's support sites not long ago. I found drivers and needed downloads without a problem. It's the phone support that usually stinks. I've had no problems but that doesn't mean others haven't.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That FX-60 system is really a steal! Nice case, Good PSU, ande from what I can tell, a decent mobo(probably locked, hence the exclusive model number.)

If I wanted to build a new PC that would be my barebones of choice!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pacman: We do have a TigerDirect in the UK, but it's under the name Misco, and would be under different special offer terms, for a start I haven't seen those components in the UK! With regard to prebuilds being cheaper, in the case of bare basics PCs then they are significantly cheaper, however, once you add any level of performance, the opposite very rapidly seems to come true.
    Estuansis: Thing is, even if I were able to buy one, I'd be changing the PSU and Case anyway...

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's more or less what I said, but it's not just bare bones. For instance there's a Dell AMD 4200 X2 that's fairly well equiped with a 19" flat monitor (about $900). If it had a custom board and possibly better RAM, it would be as good as some customs. But most people aren't going to OC, so that doesn't matter as much. http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_dimene521?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

13. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

so what do you lot think of the AMD AM2 64 X2 4200+ to start with then build around it and what sort off motherboard will i need and memory and all over things. thanks from a newbie hoping to build his own p.c

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hoddey,

Unless you already have some DDR memory, some components for an AMD build, or have your heart set on AMD, I would seriously reconsider and possibly go with a Intel E6300 ($190) or E6400 ($222) core 2 duo for a few dollars more. Even though the E6300 is 1.86ghz compared to the 4200+ X2 being 2.2ghz, the E6300 will most likely outperform the 4200+. You can then always upgrade to an E6600 (which I highly recommend) or even an E6700. Intels core 2 duo 2 core technology is leading the way right now.

Even though you will need to get a matched set of DDR2 memory for the core 2 duo's vs DDR memory for the AMD X2's, the DDR2 memory is not all that much more expensive even though it is twice as fast eg. DDR2 PC2 6400 is 800mhz where DDR PC 3200 is 400mhz.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Actually I looked up the MB, downloaded the manual and it seems to have more than enough bells and whistles for overclocking. The model number isn't exclusive, it just an ordinary A8S-X MB. An just an older, no longer made MB. You can find it at: http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Asus_A8S-X_Manual.pdf Good deal actually, as the processor would cost more than that, by itself!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hoddey,

That FX-60 system is probably the best deal I have ever seen. 2.6ghz dual core cpu vs 2.2 ghz dual core 4200+. If you're serious about a new rig, I would jump on that deal. You can't build even an AMD 4200+ X2 system for that. Here it is again http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1281.asp?CMP=ILC-FPM02

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I dont pipe my opinions in very often, but I nearly shat my pants when I opened that same email which offered that deal.
    I didnt want to buy any parts for at least 6 months (son might be moving out after graduating school, a pc would be a good gift) it has me thinking hard about doing it now.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not that I'd build an old tech AMD system from scratch over the new Intel, unless someone just had to have one, but I'll have to disagree with part of the statement. DDR2 isn't twice as fast as DDR. In fact memory performance isn't that different between the two on current platforms. I've pushed overclocked systems with DDR to performance benches as high as DDR2. Also, there is faster RAM than PC3200, Newegg sells PC4400. DDR2 has more possibilities for future development.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Yes I know. I was just comparing two of the commonly used speeds. You can also get DDR2 PC2 9200. You will pay a premium price for the DDR PC4400 and DDR2 PC2 9200.

I agree.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I was about to point it out. With the higher latencies, I don't think DDR2 is much faster than DDR1 unless you get the top end stuff, when you work it out, the speed is double, and so is the latency, so what have you gained? the 4-bit prefetch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.