1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've just ordered an OEM version of Vista Home Premium X64 for £62 inc vat so, thought there was nothing to loose, should be loaded by the weekend.

I'm also running Office 2007 Pro as wel which is nice.

Maybe it's worth having a thread on Vista issues and drivers to help out those with or thinking of getting it?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    95, 98, ME, 2000 and xp all have bugs and more than likely will have them throughout their useful lives. Microsoft isn't going to worry about anything but vista and support for XP will just dry up! Microsoft can pretty much blackmail the world into going with Vista whether they want to or not! It's Greed vs Need. Microsoft creates the need and profits by the greed!

theone

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

That thread on Vista seems to be dedicated to peoples thoughts on Vista rather than the practicalities of using it with todays hardware.

My suggestion was to start a thread that dealt with the loading and running of it and then the associated issues with driver availability and hardware performance.

It would be something people could use to resolve issues and help make informed decisions on the purchase, rather than a knock MS and all hail XP forum.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I wasn't knocking MS on Vista or XP. Like you I think people should deal with it realistically and work with what they have (key word being realistic). I think your proposal a good one instead of the emotional aspects of pros and cons.

6. gina4xoxo

gina4xoxo Guest

I just wanted to let you all know I'm honored to say that Theonejrs is going to be building my new system for me!! It's going to be the E4300 overclocked since he's doing it for me....LOL
    I have lots of confidence in him and am very excited! Just wanted to share my happiness and thank you all for the tremendous help you've given me and warm welcome to the group!

xoxo
    Gina

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

you're in good hands gina, and that system will be fantastic.

8. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, hot off the mark ddp!

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes as in 1 thread closed & 2 of 3 posts edited

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, yeah, we get the point hoddey!

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The E4300 has now arrived, so work permitting, I'll get the CPU fitted into the P5WDH with the Corsair 6400-C4, and start some testing.

Time to see exactly what this CPU can actually do!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Best of luck bigDK, obviously I'll be very interested in your results!

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Cheers.
    Will keep posting the results.
    Just replaced the factory compound on the E6600 air cooler, and fitting now, so will start loading software later.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Have the DQ6 working at 450 x8 at the moment, handles that FSB no problem at all.
    Have had it up to 470 FSB already but after that the system becomes unstable.
    Still to look into what tweaks are required in the BIOS, have started to play with the settings, but still to find the magic ones that will unlock it further.

Current setup
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=164812

Have also got the E4300 running in the P5WDH now and am currently setting up all the drivers and software.
    Already running at 300FSB, with the locked multiplier I'm at 2.7GHz.
    Will let the CPU bed in at that for the next few days.
    Will run some tests to compare it against how the E6600 performed in the same board.
    I doubt if I'll get 400x9 out of it, thats hoping for too much, but should at least get 360FSB as a normal operating speed, and then be able to tighten the timings on the memory.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow, BigDK. I just noticed your SuperPI 1M score. Nice time! My best is 30 seconds.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Off topic again but anyway I got my new laptop pc and vista sucks. It was compatable with very little of my software. Reformated with XP.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doesn't surprise me. Has some cool features I admit, but that's a big issue with it at the moment. I do suppose you got 32-bit Vista with it?

19. crowy

crowy Guest

@,Estuansis,
    The core 2 duo's super pi times make our AMDx2's look really ordinary (In fact the core 2's have totally reset the standards!!).Let's see what AMD comes up with in the future,its gonna have to be good!!!(should be awesome!)Anyway,totally off topic, have a look at this guys.Hope you like it...

This is another example of an amazing illusion!!!
    If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, the dots will remain only one color, pink.
    However if you stare at the black "+" in the center, the moving dot turns to green.
    [​IMG]

Now, concentrate on the black "+" in the center of the picture. After a short period, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear. This should be proof enough that we don't always see what we think we see.

Regards,
    Crowy..

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry off topic here too.

crowy thats ace that man.

lovin it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.