1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on topic or thread gets closed, again!! your choice!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it's a cool illusion, but I have seen it before, and it's got nowt to do with Intel v AMD!

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, I've been grounded for the past two weeks for something pretty bad. And I'm still grounded so I'll be on very seldom until March.

Anyways, any ideas on the architecture for AM3? Will it be a copycat of Conroe or an entirely new idea?

I'm liking the idea of graphics integrated on the chip. Maybe replacing the onboard video the board has and then can be replaced by a discrete graphics solution? Sounds a bit like the idea Sony had with the cell processor. Pure arithmetic horsepower could make it a beast.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

From what I've seen, it will be based on a 65nm chip, which considering Intel are already near release of the 45nm chips, makes it somewhat behind the game again.
    It will be more costly to produce and be more power hungry, hotter and less overclocking friendly.

It is being produced to provide support for DDR3 memory.
    Talk is, that it will be able to support either DDR2 or DDR3 (but not in the same running system).

They will also introduce the Hypertransport 3 support to this chip, which is supposed to increase the performance by nearly 90% over HT2.

Its almost certain that although it will provide a major improvement over current AMD chips, it will not get anywhere near the next Intel offerings in way of overall performance.

They'll provide very good systems, but anyone wanting to build something with the best performance will be better off sticking with the Intel solutions for the next few years at least.

Intels 45nm CPUs and the development of the next gen onboard chipset (codenamed x35) will introduce a serious jump in performance.
    I won't be surprised to see native support for SLi on the new chipset, as it doesn't seem to sit right that Intel will carry on with Crossfire support, when ATI are now merged with their main CPU competitor AMD.

This should then remove the last point of contention most users find with Intel based motherboards, and give what should be the ultimate system setup possible with todays technology.

5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

its been awhile since my last visit to AfterDawn...so i'm kinda outdated...so recnetly i heard that AMD is coming out with a new architecture...for the CPU that beats C@D...is that tru

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, we shall see!

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol lets hope so...then Intel will come up with even better one...

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Don't hold your breath waiting for an AMD CPU that beats the top Intels.

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey BigDK how ya doing...lol *breathe out* ok i know that...erhm...one question or actually 2 but anyways...which CPU should i get Intel C2D E6700 or AMD FX-62?...and 2nd Q Which graphics card is better GeForce 6200 256MB or Radeon 9250pro 256MB???

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That's easy, 6700. Even the 6600 will run circles around the FX62.

I would say the 6200. Beeter yet, go with a 7600.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with those decisions, but those cards aren't equals. the 9250 is older than the 6200, a direct rival is the X300, and in that case, it's not such an easy decision. With the CPU though, the C2D is the runaway winner.

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi doing well cheers!!

I would go with a E6600 CPU and spend the extra money you saved on a better GPU.

For £140 you can get an X1950 Pro 512.
    Or for £150 you can get the 7900GTO 512 both are a far better way to spend the extra £130 you save on the CPU.

13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes i know E6700 is better but every time i see the word FX-62 its like "wow, thats AMD's best CPU thats awesome" byt when comparing to C2D its ok not so good...

i'm buying 6200...unless it can lost for another half a year for me...before i buy a new rig...

my rig => future rig

-AMD Athlon XP 2400+ => E6600/E6700(Maybe a Quad Core if possible)
    -1GB RAM => 2GB RAM(Good and fast ones)
    -80GB HDD => 250GB HDD/320GB HDD
    -120GB external HDD => keep it
    -DVD RW 16X => keep it
    -CD RW 52X32X52 => dont really need it
    -15" CMV LCD monitor => 19"/20"
    -ATI Radeon 9250pro 256MB => 8800GTS XXX (Maybe 8800GTX if possible)

really AMD disappointed me...i was a hardcore AMD supporter but NO MORE unless they BEAT C2D...otherwise i wont really support them...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Interesting last May we were hearing the same words about Intel catching up to AMD. AMD didn't seem to believe it either. LOL AMD got caught with their pants down much as Intel did a few years ago. I'm rooting for both teams. I wish AMD would bring out some competition soon, but I'm not holding my breath. It took Intel a couple of years and a fortune to get a lead on AMD in the performance sector.

15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol...thats so tru...but i really hope AMD would bring out some awesome new architecture

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The trouble with AMD is they are working on 65nm as their next chip platform, whilst Intel are now working on 45nm.
    Intel already have the muscle in terms of production plant capacity compared to AMD, and with the smaller die size the chips will be cheaper to produce, use less power and OC better.

AMD seem to be just altering what they already have, and unfortunately it just doesn't match up to what Intel are offering.

Intel did fall behind, and for quite some time, but then they did decide to make a totally new chip design and build it from the bottom up.
    It took longer but is now paying the rewards.

Not just content with that, they are pushing the limits even further with the next gen chips.
    I'm not saying AMD will never overtake Intel again, but unless you are a practiced pearl diver with the metabolism of a hibernating bear, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL I'm thinking it would take longer than that. To use an equestrian analogy, Intel has the bit in their teeth and are running with it. The "bit" being innovative design, along with research and development.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ya i believe so...*speech less*

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd expect nothing ground breaking from AMD in the next couple of years, AMD had the lead on intel from the release of the A64 until the Core 2 Duo came out. That lasted about 2, 2 1/2 years. I expect something similar this time around. HT3 may set new records, but I doubt the CPUs will.

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

guys in need to get inside my bios is it F8 i tap ? i can't remember

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.