1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

But by the time you get one of those OCed to where it's competitive it's starting to become unstable. It's okay for a grunt PC. They're still selling a bunch of 3800s for low end manufactured PCs. But for a custom, that is a has been. It may have been an OC darlin not long ago, but now it's another of AMD's "also ran" CPUs. Going with a 3800 now only has the advantage of building on the cheap.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't forget not all builds are overclocks. You can save a lot by going with a cheap (just a decent brand) mobo, and that counts out overclocking anyway.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm glad you agree, the only advantage is it's cheap. I hope I never have to worry about the insignificant cost difference between one of those and an entry level C2D.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well no, fortunately we don't, but there are plenty others out there who find that a more viable option. Unfortunately both my suppliers are 2 days (and counting) late delivering my components, so I'm still waiting to have my file PC built. I called Overclockers UK and Scan today and they both said "yeah it's being dispatched tonight, you'll have it tomorrow". Scan sent me an email at 9pm saying "we sent too many orders today, so we didn't have time for yours, you'll get it friday", whereas overclockers said nothing and it's still "printed in warehouse", and "oh, the RAM was out of stock when you ordered it". It wasn't. This is the 5th and last late delivery from overclockers. Until they can sort out their stock control system they no longer deserve my business. Not really had any gripes about Scan before, but I'm distinctly unimpressed by their email.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I suspect many don't pay attention to what's happening with current technology and are only building a "grunt".

Good luck on the parts. If you're like me you like to do the builds over the weekend, especially with you being at the university and taking classes during the week. Sounds like the vendors may have put you a week behind. I hate it when they promise something, have you anticipating arrival, and then they blow it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did hate it, but now I come to expect it. As I said, someone else on my corridor ordered that stuff from OcUK on the 24th of December, and it didnt arrive until we collected it from the citylink depot a week and a bit ago.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm gonna stay AMD faithful as long they get a new product out sooner or later.

I'd like to also get my hands on the R600 as soon as possible. And also have Vista as a secondary. My good old XP Pro Corporate is very nice to use and has served me well. When I get vista I'm really only interested in the tagging function it offers. Very cool :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd agree with most of that, except for the use of Vista (DX10) and on your true support of AMD. Having recently ordered an Intel CPU, that puts me out of the window!

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

No vista for me. Tried it. Problem is a lot of the software I have and use, primarily for backing up dvd's, is old and will most likely never be updated to be vista compatable. One example is dvd decrypter which is integrated into ripit4me and ripit4me is primarily all I use for ripping since I also primarily use rb/cce for encoding which as you know doesn't incorperate a ripping utility and requires that the dvd be ripped to the hdd with an independant ripping utility. Hell, even my browser (AT & T Yahoo) isn't compatable with vista yet. They also provide my anti-virus software (made by computer assoc.) I wasn't about to buy some retail anti-virus software when my DSL provider supplies it for free and it works like a champ with XP.

Even if I wasn't an intel fanboy, I wouldn't hold my breath waitng on AMD to catch up or pass intel. Intel's already got more goodys in the oven.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I think Intel made the Tera-Scale research public to scare AMD. LOL Plus Intel has already moved over half of it's production to the 65 nm process (from 90). They're already seriously working with 45 nm. So downsizing the chips and making them more efficient has Intel in the lead over AMD. AMD relied on Hypertransport for its advantage too long. AMD needs more technological breakthroughs or Intel will stay in the performance and technological lead and keep widening the gap.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With your 4400 X2 you have some time before you feel the pinch too bad. But if you want a new build anytime soon, you'll be spending extra money for less performance with an AMD platform. Let's hope AMD gets off the pot soon, but as BigDK pointed out, maybe we shouldn't be holding our breath. ;)

Sammorris qualified as one of the biggest AMD fanboys around, but now he's gone Intel. It simply makes sense to go with the best available at the time you need to build. Unless there's a specific item scheduled for release with proven capabilities, it doesn't really pay to play the waiting game. Intel fans had to wait a couple of years for relief. LOL AMD's last few releases have sort of fizzled in comparison to Intel. I wish them luck, but the situation is starting to look sad. That secret weapon many thought was ready for release wasn't there. If AMD had one, they would have released it by now.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I originally got my CA Anti virus from Micro$oft with SP-1 for XP Pro. Just renewed it for another 2 years in march 06. Best AV program I've ever had!

Happy computering,
    theone

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

my damn Trend Micro is 49 dollars just to renew now!!! . i may switch

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I go with Symantec's Internet Security suite. It ain't cheap, but I've gotten used to the protection.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

damn how do u guys get to try Vista out?...u bought it or copied ones?..

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and I just use AVG free edition... lol

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

AVG free is what I use as well.
    Its free!!!!!
    Its very low on system resources.
    Its as good as the full version, just without the following.
    # 24/7 professional technical support
    # High-speed updates (although all updates I've downloaded are almost instantaneous)
    # Customizable settings (Blue background is fine)
    # Your language (me only speak the English)

Is rated as one of the best AV apps out there.

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

You can see it only falls behind the other tools in this chart on support, ease of use and feature set, all of which are subjective.
    Who ever needs AV software support?
    AVG can't be any easier, maybe they had a 5 year old trying it out.
    Feature set, who needs to schedule tasks two weeks in advance?
    The software received a VB100% and the ICSA 2005
    Its free!!!!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, the two AV programs I was recommended were AVG and NOD32.

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i got the full licence for AVG...well i cant tell u guys otherwise i'll get ban...

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i think Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 is the highest rated on the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.