1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I only suggested a X1600 Pro a while back as an inexpensive mid-range gpu and caught all kinds of grief. I won't do it again even though the one I had in my old system never caused any problems and was a good deal at the time. It was on sale for about $50 less than anything else equivalent to it.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

need help...i bought a 7600gs AGP today and i install it...with 350W psu powering it...after i install the driver i tried to play some games with this new gpu...some games work some DONT...then i tried to watch some movie its couldnt watch it(it freezes)...and its lags after 20min of gaming...why is that so...i need help...

is it my psu watt too low thats causing the gpu to go crazy? but then i install my old gpu everything is fine except my old gpu couldnt run modern games but the rest is fine

computer:
    -AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    -1GB Ram
    -80GB HDD
    -15" Monitor LCD
    -350W AOpen Prescott LGA 775 psu

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Look on the web to see if there is a newer driver. There are some aftermarket drivers available but I can't remember what they are.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so u r saying that its the drivers problem?...the latest driver is v93.71...wat is the min psu power for 7600gs?...

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not saying it's a driver problem. Something to look into. Gotta start somewhere. Info sheet with your card should tell you minimum requirements. You can probably find the nin requirements on the manufactures website.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It could be a driver issue, or you could have a dodgy PSU. For once that brand sounds OK to me, but there's no guarantee anyway. One of my sticks of Corsair RAM for my Core 2 Duo was faulty, and that's one of the best brands in the industry. So only 512MB of RAM for me for a few days, ugh that's painful!

7. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

i've gotta say pentium is crap.i bought my sister a dual core blah blah blah pentium 4 or w/e and it kept crashing after one day then got it refurbished and it broke again.supposedly this is supposed to be the greatest processor.while im here chillin wit my amd athlon 3000+ which works 20 billion times faster than that crap dual core sitting with 2gb of ram.AMD ALL THE WAY

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The pentium D's by no means the fastest CPU on the market, but 99% of all issues aren't the CPU, it's usually the motherboard or memory.

9. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

so motherboards for pentium suck too then

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not necessarily you may have just got a faulty one.

11. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

nope because i had it replaced many times after that until we issued a refund

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well then they were obviously incompetent repair staff. Trust me, I've heard EXACTLY the same story about an AMD.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    You are not going to set the world on fire with that processor either! I think the problem is a combo of power and a weak CPU. If it was an Athlon 64 it would probibly work better. IGB of ram is a little short for games too!

BIGnewb,
    Depends! What brand and model motherboard do you have? I have a D-940 Dual Core in an Asus P5P800-SE MB and I like it very much. It's no Conroe but a very nice speedy computer that does everything I ask of it!

With that PS you are only getting about 260-270 Watts max, and that's only if it's a good one! (75% efficiency) The CPU alone draws 130 watts!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, an XP 2400+ you could do far worse. I really don't think that's a bottleneck russ, I had a 3000+, not that much faster, and it ran all the games I played flawlessly, even at max settings and high res, because i had the graphics card to support it.
    1GB of RAM really isnt that bad either, i know plenty of systems that run fine with that. Ive only got 512MB at the moment!

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not knocking your pentium D dual core Russ (it's still better than a single core and you'll have a C2D soon), but if I had my choice between a pentium D and an AMD X2 of equivalent speeds, I would choose the AMD. Of course the pentium D and the C2D are two completely different birds and the C2D reins supreme over all other dual core cpu's.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can echo that. At stock the E4300 seems to run about as well as my 4200+, but all I can do is seem at the moment until I get my faulty DDR2 replaced, 512 isn't much to go on these days. It may just be me, but a couple of people said that core 2s performed well, but there was just something that seemed a bit odd about their performance, occasional things that didn't seem right but hard to put your finger on, and I agree. Maybe it's because it's late, I'll investigate tomorrow.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    i've built several of these and the XP 2400+ is slow! I put together an XP 2500+ for my friends daughter and it's much faster on the same MB!

Mort81,
    For sure! When I built mine a year or so ago, it was a low price thing all the way. If I remember right it cost me $270 including shipping and I sold the P-4 for a lot more!

I do a fair amount of video encoding and the time difference between either AMD's or the D's is very slight. It's still more than twice as fast as my 3.0/800 Prescott OC'd to 3.94GHz. I now do a complete rip, RB/CCE and burn in less time than it used to take just to encode!

Happy Computering,

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, you've made a pretty decent system there Russ, and although it's not the fastest money can buy, it's still pretty decent and not deserving of much abuse.
    Now experiencing a Freezer 7 Pro first hand, I can see why you're so fond of them! It's running my E4300 at 38C idle at minimum fan speed, and it's only been running for 4 hours so far, so the arctic silver hasn't had chance to settle yet. The CNPS7000 on my X2 ran a couple of degrees above 40, long after the settle-in period.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I heard from a lot of folks who agree on the Arctic being an excellent cooler. Don't run your CPU fan through you fan control as if it's the latest one it's temperature controled and automatic. It's not noisy at all!

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

My 6600 idle runs at 31 centigrade OC'ed to 3.2ghz.

sam,

Didn't the supplier where you got your ram want you to return both sticks? They need to be matched pairs to assure they will run dual channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.