1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Mort81,
    Matched size and same type, they don't have to be matched pairs like the high performance RAM to run dual channel.

As for temps with Arctic Freezers, I'll just stick with the Zalman 9700. I have an AMD dual core OCed to 2.8GHz. With the OC and the vCore upped slightly, running Rebuilder (the capture shows I've finished 50%, so it's up to normal high temp), surfing the net, using the monitor software, and running my hog AV (Norton) I'm only running 42C.

[​IMG]

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PacMan,

I would still send both sticks back and insist on a matched set. That's about where my cpu temp runs while rb/cce is running. 41-42 centigrade.

My mobo temps are upsetting me a little though. I put a 40x40x10mm fan on my northbridge but it didn't help. Still 46 centigrade.

I ordered 2 better 40x40x20mm fans with twice the cfm and I'm going to pull my mobo out and reseat the heatsinks on the northbridge and southbridge with some artic silver 5 and install the new fans.

I'm using my desktop as an AP for my laptop right now. I ordered a router so when it gets here, I'll tackle the mobo mod. Don't want to be without an internet connection

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're right, that mobo temp does appear to be a little high, especially with fans. I feel mine is a bit warm, but it's a passive cooling system on the chipsets. That's as high as it goes (38C), so I won't worry about it. If I turn up the power and the mobo temp rises, I'll hook up the auxiliary cooling fan.

If the RAM was a matched set to begin with I'd want a matched set back. But when you order a couple of sticks, they're not necessarily performance matched or even consecutively numbered (unless you ordered a matched set). You can order 2 sticks of the same RAM in separate packs, and run dual channel. Plus, if Sammorriss sent all of his RAM back, his PC would have been down.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm assuming sam did order a matched set even though they are cas 5. He still has his AMD rig so he wouldn't be without a pc.

My mobo is passive cooling but I don't like it running that hot. Most ppl I've talked to with this mobo, theirs runs pretty warm too. It's probably never going to cause a problem but I'm still going to make an attempt to get it lower. It ran about 43 even back when my cpu was stock. BigDK got his P5W DH Deluxe down in the 30's by performing the mod I mentioned in my last post. Kivory got his down in the low 40's by just reseating the heatsinks with good thermal compound and removing the heatsink covers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan777,

Just out of curiosity, what encoder/transcoder do you use with DVDRB? I use CCE. I was just wondering if there are any temp diferences when using the other encoders/transcoders?

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so u guys are saying that its my CPU's problem and the PSU...but i asked the computer guys he said that 350w is good enough to power the card...

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I know that procoder2 is more cpu intensive because on my old P4 when I was trying to find my stable OC limit, it would run stable with cce at one setting but not be stable with procoder2 at that same setting.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

My OC is stable and I've used most of the encoders supported by RB. I'm running CCE SP 2.70.2.12 with the current batch. I've used the New CCE SP2 and I can't see any difference between those 2. I've got ProCoder2 and even used it in the dual setup. I didn't see any noticable difference in system temps. Same for the free Hank's encoder. I've got plenty of system resources, so doing encoding isn't getting near maxing my system. To do that I have to use test programs like Orthos or OCCT where I put a heavy load on both cores. Even then the temps will only vary by a couple of degrees. I've still got overhead to OC, so I'm running rock solid at 2.8GHz. Things don't start getting flaky till I start getting near 3GHz.

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

thnx everyone...i fixed my GPU problem...

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Has anyone got around the pop ups when using dvdrb with either procoder or cce, its a pain in the backside every time the encoder kicks in every few seconds and interupts what I'm doing in another window.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan777,
    Thanks for the information!
    I know that feeling well. I could get my P4 3.0/800 to 3.94GHz stable but it would fail as soon as I tried to get to 4GHz. Temps were a little high at (58C while encoding) 3.94 but as long as I kept the room reasonably cool, no problems.

BigDK,
    I've been using RB/CCE for about a year and have never seen a pop-up! What do they say?

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: Unfortunately the Freezer 7 uses a 4 pin PWM based connector. I don't have any means of attaching that connector to my fan controller (which i want to do because it's not very quiet at all until I run speedfan to drop the rpm) other than literally sawing off the fourth pin. I prefer fans that don't change speed by themselves.

Mort: I will have to RMA them together, I know you have to do it that way, but I'm going to order 2x1GB of CAS4 and then return the 512s and try and get a refund. If I'm not successful, I know someone who will want more DDR2 so I'll happily sell it to him.

Pacman: My mobo is currently running at about 40C idle once it's finally stopped increasing (it takes about half an hour to get to that temperature), not really gamed much with so little RAM, but I'll see how far it gets. Didn't do anything about its thermal compound but then it's a huge heatsink.

Mort: I would be without a PC, because my other case hasn't arrived yet.
    GTR: a decent 350W should be good enough to run the card really, glad you fixed the issue.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Its the window used by either CCE or Procoder.
    When DVDRB utilizes either app its opens a window for the application.
    There is a tab in DVDRB which says run encoders minimized but even when its checked, the main CCE window is closed but it still opens the encoders sub windows.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Playing Half Life 2 for an hour, CPU 43C, Mobo 46C. Doesn't seem too bad since the CPU has only been running for about 7 hours.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    I got that one time and couldn't figure out why. I un-installed it and installed it again and it's never done it since. It runs minumized all the time since. I have no idea why. It was only a few months ago though. You are right, it is annoying!

sammorris,
    You must want it dead silent as I don't even notice the small amount of noise it does make, especially compared to the 9500. The PS fan is the loudest and it's not bad. The automatic speed control is not at all like the old case fans ie:Dell and others. It changes speeds slowly so that the only time you notice it at all is when it's running full speed. The one in my Dell Precision was annoying as it would start to scream as soon as you loaded it down.

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it may be because my PC's on my desk and right close to me, but seriously at idle, the Freezer drowns out all other noise in the PC if it's at 100% speed. at minimum speed it's quiet enough but noticeable. The real problems I have at the moment at idle are the Graphics card fan (even reduced to 22% speed in Atitool, which is lower than it normally runs at idle, it's still too noisy) and my hard disks. Raptors are never quiet let's face it, and the Barracuda is still in the very vibration-sensitive slot that the case comes with. The Barracuda will hopefully move to my file PC, and the Raptor will probably be replaced with a 500GB Caviar SE16, and the Nexus disktwin bracket I use will eventually be replaced by a more substantial drive-a-way enclosure.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When I minimize RB to the taskbar the CCE continues to open on the desktopo, but it stays behind any windows or programs I open. So it isn't an annoyance that way. In settings I have run encoders minimized.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. Darkmat

Darkmat Member

I know that this is an age old question but i have to ask anyway. What processor Amd or Intel would be best to build a killer gaming system, and not break the bank? My current system.

Amd Athlon xp 64 3200+
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe MB
    2 Gig DDR Ram
    ATI 800 Pro video card

I was thinking about replacing those items any suggestions would be greatly very helpful thanks.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Trouble is if you change the setup, you'll need to get all new parts you've listed.
    But at the moment the best gaming performance is coming from Intel CPUs.
    The best CPU for performance without going too expensive is the E6600.
    I've just bought an E4300 which is the entry level core 2, compared to the E6600 it is slow to respond and no where near as smooth on gaming.
    Best value good GPU would be something like the X1959XTX 512 card which for about £200 is a serious performer, otherwise your looking over £300 for something more powerful.
    memory will now be DDR2 which has higher latencies but runs far quicker.
    Corsair is generally considered the best in terms of compatibility and reliability as well as high performance.
    Look at getting DDR800 memory with either cas 5 or cas 4 the latter being the better.
    As for boards, its noramlly asus that have the best range backed up by great build quality and high end tweaking capacity.
    The better the board the more options you'll get.
    Chipsets worth looking at Intel 975, 965 or Nvidia 680.
    Boards worth the money are P5WDH, DS3 etc...
    If you get something along thoise lines your looking at about £700 depending on Ram amount.
    What you have already will sell quite well on ebay.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

or just keep what you have as is still good. the only area to update maybe is the videocard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.