1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

depending whether the missing character is a 9 or an X...
    The E4300 is in my PC now, overclocked to a reasonable extent. It doesn't perform that well yet, but as I say I only have 512MB of RAM at the moment, when I have 2GB i can compare it to my X2. It wasn't intended to supercede my desktop CPU anyway, it was just an experiment, a proper CPU upgrade will be on the cards in the latter half of this year I expect.

2. crowy

crowy Guest

3. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Crowey, If you find anything for the e6300 for the asus p5w dh deluxe let me know as far oc.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    When you are ready let me know if you want to sell the 4300, then let me know and you can consider it sold! That is unless you have other plans for it!

Happy computering,
    theone

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I found the conclusion to the E4300 article interesting. It's not worth the price. It was also interesting to hear that C2Ds OCed to 3.5 may as well be at 3.2GHz with a good GPU like the X1950. So, get a good GPU over a high OC, and forget the E4300 till the price drops drastically.

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Anything less then the e-6300 is junk. Pay the lil bit more for the better chip. Or just get a AMD.

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think its worth every penny of its £105 price tag, when the e6300 is £10 more with only 60mhz more clock speed.

add to that it will be able over clock as high as the e6300 and wont need ram that is able to hit dizzying speed (and equally high prices) when you look at the bigger picture i think its the way to go for a low cost overclocking pc.

edit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    imgs from another forum, nice oc ZoLKoRn.
    not bad results for a peice of junk, eh?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks like a bench racer setting. What can it do at that OC? Can it encode and how long will it run with OCCT?

LOL Go kill the messenger. LOL Crowey is the one who gave us the legionhardware article. They thought the E4300 was overpriced for what the buyer got. I'll go along with BigDK's comparison of the E4300 and E6600.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The thing to remember is the cache difference, in real world use it does make a difference to the performance, and as this E4300 has only half the E6600 cache it will never perform as good.

As far as how far the E4300 will overclock, I've had mine to 3.6 stable passing Orthos for 30 mins, however it's now set to just 280x8 at 1.4V, as on air I'm not happy running it those settings, with the E6600 air cooler, I'd need to get something better.
    The overclock I currently have is very small, but it gives the system a boost for playing games, and at £105 I still think the CPU is a steal.
    I'll only push it again when I get a better cooler.

Having said that my E4300 will be sold before too long anyway when a replacement comes out for my E6600 at a reasonable price, I'll post when it's being sold here in case anyone wants it, otherwise it'll go onto eBay.

Like all CPUs there are good ones for OC'ing a dud ones, you never know what you'll get until you fire it up, luckily both my Intels have been very good, whereas I had some dud AMDs compared to what others were achieving.

The E6300 has been recorded as fully stable on the P5WDH at just over 3GHz, but both were on air and the latest BIOS was 1101 both have been posted for many months, so not sure what the later BIOS's can achieve.

Sam: what overclock have you got so far, and have to done any benchtesting/stability testing?
    Did you manage to get the FSB raised?

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've got and used both.
    I didn't see any difference in them in load.
    I use Orthos because i can't be arsed to wait the idle minute before OCCT starts testing (that shows how impatient I am).

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

your right it is (look at the rest of his desk top) he is part of an overclocking group, another member got one above 4.1ghz on single stage phase change (love to see what triple stage can do) but thats another story.

im sure it would run 24/7 at around 3.2/3.4ghz and give the around the same performance as a £700 (stock)cpu with out the need for ram that costs £150+ a gb.

i am not saying that its a better chip than the e6600 (also thats a bit like comparing apples and pears) but for half the price you are getting alot more than half the chip/performance and as such it should not just be wrote of as a cheap wannabe.

edit

i hope so anyway as i will be ordering one at the end of the month.

@sam
    what temps are you getting with you freezer pro now its bedded in a bit and where would it sit on this chart?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It being my first Core 2 Duo, I'm impressed with the E4300 regardless. Being able to overclock 45% without touching any settings but the FSB using single channel RAM is mind-boggling. I think it's well worth the £100, and I've only just started.

15. gina4xoxo

gina4xoxo Guest

Yup, I agree with you on the NOD32 by Eset! I love it and would call it one of the higher-end AV progs out there now. I especially like it because it's low on the resources and is constantly being updated! I used to be an avid NAV user, but now I'm NOD32! Geez, sounds like I'm talking drugs here.... lol

16. gina4xoxo

gina4xoxo Guest

Hi, Sammo! Just saw your post about the 4300. I'm looking for the price to come down a little and am actually having Theonejrs build it for me! Excited about that! Looks like it's going to be pretty close to what you have, except I was going to get the g.skill DDR2 RAM CAS 4 (1GIG). How is that P5N-E mobo working for you? How high did you get the OC up to? May I ask what case you're using?

Thanks!!

"G"

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The NZXT Lexa's my gaming case, also recently bought the Antec Nine Hundred for a storage PC. I get about 2.6-2.7Ghz out of it, regardless of voltage settings or memory timings, I'm thinking the limitation is the initial BIOS revision right now, rather than any of the other components.

18. crowy

crowy Guest

Baltekmi,
    not sure how far you want to go with your o/clock but here are some simple pencil mods to give you extra memory voltage,Northbridge chipset voltage,cpu voltage and fsb voltage:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3876

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

What BIOS R U Running?

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I wouldn't suggest doing any of those pencil mods unless you really know what you're doing.
    2.4V on memory is far more than most will ever need, it only really comes into play if you're OCing much slower memory.
    1.65V on the NB is enough to easily get to over 400FSB, and anyone getting the newer release board gets extra voltage options over than anyway, as they increased it in the rev 2 board.
    Even my rev1.0 board got to 433FSB stable before I needed to start using the voltage mod I fitted, even then I preferred the hard fitted resistor over graphite method.
    1.7V on the CPU is already dangerous without adequate cooling, such as peltier or phase change; even water will not cope with that amount of voltage and the heat it will produce, let alone increasing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.