1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

louded? I've no idea what you mean by that. If the question is are all S-ATA hard disks loud, the answer's no.
    Samsung spinpoint drives are relatively quiet, and the Western Digital SE16 500GB is very quiet, but the vibrate a lot, so their noise greatly depends on where you put them. If it's in a cheap case's standard metal bracket, the vibrations will cause a lot of noise, if they are in sound-proof foam or suspended on elastic, there will be no vibration at all.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Never had an artic freezer hsf so can't personally compare them to a zalman. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I didn't mean to. Must be my case (reason it's so quiet). The zalman 9500 is the quietest fan in my rig and none of the fans are loud, with maybe the exception of the fan on my X850XT. I'm not a gammer so I keep it at about 9%. Anything over 35% it screams. Probably because it vents out the back of the case.

I've had a couple WD 80gb sata hdds and a WD 160gb hdd. The 80gb hdds were virtually silent regardless of the case or position. My 160gb is also virtually silent. My maxtor 300gb sata hdd is noisy. No more maxtors for me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9% fan speed? That causes my GPU fan to stop. Don't know what software you're using...

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ATITool. It's definately turning. I can see it and feel the air coming out the back.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How bizarre. At 35% it's not much louder than normal (which I've worked out to be 25%). 9% and it stops completely. In games it gets up to 50-55%... (when I'm not using ATiTool)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I can even slow it more. I've got it set dynamically according to it's temperature. As the temp rises so does the fan speed. Must be something wrong with your gpu fan or software.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No it works, but with higher numbers.

8. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks sammorris but it seems like evry review i read about s-ata harddrives says that they are loud.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're very little louder than IDE hard disks. Quieter in many cases since IDE drives are older. The only difference is that the quietest drives ever made have all been IDE, with one exception, the 500GB WD.

10. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks sammorris and i will look into the wd 500gb

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's excessive storage for most, but I like it. Unfortunately the one I got is faulty, but then it happens...

12. samosaki

samosaki Member

hey anyone withrespect to amd vs intel could i get a link to this..
    and does anyone have links that compares amd atlon , duron, sempron and the other 2
    and intels celeron, xeon ,pentium

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

For a straight up ranking sheet I'll give it.

Well the AMD Athlon XP was good but it's been long dead and gone. Same with the AMD Duron which competed with the sucky original Intel Celeron.

The Sempron and Sempron 64 are both fairly good budget processors with a very good performance/price ratio. They compete with the painfully weak Celeron D.

The Single Core AMD Athlon 64 is aging but still strong. It competes with the also aging Intel Pentium 4 5xx and 6xx series.

The Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 is aging but still good. It competes with the fairly good (but aging as well) Intel Pentium D.

The Core 2 Duo is brand spanking new and a successor to the Pentium 4 and Pentium D. It will compete with the AM3 when it comes out.

The Opteron and Xeon are AMD's and Intel's respective server processors. They come in both Dual Core and Single Core They are very similar to their mainstream counterparts except they are made for 24/7 use.

AMD <-> Intel

For Single Core:

Athlon 64 <-> Pentium 4 5xx/6xx series

Sempron/Sempron 64 <-> Celeron D(Original Celeron sucked badly)

Opteron <-> Xeon

Dual Core

Athlon 64 X2 <-> Pentium D

Opteron Dual Core <-> Xeon Dual Core

AM3 <-> Conroe(Core 2 Duo)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    I have a Seagate 160GB S-ata 3.0 and it's the quietest drive I have ever seen and not heard. It's absolutely silent. You have to put your ear up against the case when the drive light is on to hear anything. The quietest drive I ever had before that was the first Samsung IDE drive, back in the 90's! I think the 10,000 RPM of the Raptors is the reason for a lot of the noise, although I had a 10,000 RPM SCSI drive on my Dell workstation and it wasn't too noisey. Still isn't, for that matter! WD has had a few very noisey drives over the years. When they were the first to come out with a 340MB IDE, it had a sound like a cat scratching in a litter box!

You want a Quiet S-ata drive, buy a Seagate Barracuda!

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

sammorris,

what would you recommend instead of the nvidia geforce 7300??

that's the one i was planning to use (actually reusing from my ol'machine). i'm now thinking about geforce 7600gs

thanks

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

wel, it all depends how fast you want the PC to be. An X1600 Pro is often a good deal in that price bracket.

19. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

well, i'm not too much into gamming but if upgrading i would go along the middle. so you think the ati would do??

thank you again.

20. redice

redice Regular member

@theone

ok thanks for you viws on the seagate drives and i will look into them as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.