1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan777,
    I never took it that way, I took everything as constructive! I've learned that what was true a few years ago may not be true today because of advancements in the technology. I've discoverd articles on the net titled "The Myth of 512MBx4 vs 1GBx2" and read them. Hey! Time marches on! I appreciate your pointing this out to me as I now know that this is no longer valid information!

Thanks again,
    theone

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. I think too many people have seen the arguments and when there's a topical disagreement on content they fear the discussion could get personal. That's juvenile behavior in which I won't participate. It also leads to people not pointing out facts they're aware of. The first thing I always ask if I'm in a disagreement is where the source of the info originated. If from texts, forums, individuals, or trade publications I like to get it straight up front. As you said, it was just an advancement in technology that you missed. You're not the only one because the discussion still crops up on a fairly regular basis. I may have been guilty of spreading the same misinformation at one point. It's just a matter of what we've learned and when we get updated. That's why it's good to discuss such things in an open forum.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Sub zero cooling for $200.
    Hope this makes it onto the shelves!!!

OCZ's sub-zero cooling chills X2 at 3.5GHz

If this baby ships at $199, it will be the ultimate cooling system for enthusiasts. If the system does not show up in retail, it was a great concept anyway. OCZ still has some quirks to fix on the system, and if they manage to ship it, it will be great. If those problems persist, company will continue to develop it until it's market-worthy. We can't wait to see it in our Croatian INQLab dungeon.

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37443

4. crowy

crowy Guest

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

hummmm whats your guess crowy 1200.00 dollars

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey crowy,

There's a lot of good reading and information in the related news as well! Thanks very much for the link! I would guess what with giving the A64 info to someone else to build, that AMD is about to start thier engine and put it in gear! Go AMD!!! We all benefit!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. crowy

crowy Guest

That's probably a fair guess for a top of the line processor"IF" the 40% improvement over intel's core 2's is correct.Remember,any of the performance enthusiasts holding off on upgrading their pc until these new processors have been trialled,tested and tortured will be using the c2d's as their measuring stick.

theone,
    They have too!!
    I'm sure in the not to distant future,the wars will be hotter than ever.There should also be some bargains to be had from the current FX lineup too!!!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And it's about time...

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well thanks to Russ i got this Opteron 185 for 349.00. i bet there hard to even find now

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. crowy

crowy Guest

You got that right!!
    An AM2 FX62 here in Australia retails for $1000+.
    An E6300 retails for $259.
    For the same price as the FX62 cpu you could build a complete c2d system.

Remember though,whatever you bought yesterday will always be cheaper tommorrow!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

cool 15 dollars less and its still around for now anyway

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol crowy think i might put that in my sig

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Well I have the e-6300 at 2.90 stable and it runs circles around the am2 fx62 or any other amd cpu.. and I only paid 180.00 US. Care to post some comparisions? use the sissoft x1 lite.

15. crowy

crowy Guest

Baltekmi,

That's my point!!
    A complete system that's faster than the price of just a cpu.

Switching over to the AMD versus Intel comparisons, the E6300 and E6400 already compete very well, and once we throw in overclocking they are basically out of reach of any of the AM2 processors -- with or without overclocking. In overall score, the overclocked E6300 is almost 20% faster than the FX-62. A 20% overclock of the FX-62 (3.33 GHz) might close the gap, but it would certainly require more than stock air cooling, and it doesn't change the fact that we are able to get extremely good performance out of Intel's $180-$220 parts.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=4

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

From what Crowy says it's not the price of the current AMD processors but the Australian vendors doing some gouging on AMD processors. Guess they got left holding some high priced inventory. The FX 62 in the US market is about 1/2 the Australian cost.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103861&ATT=19-103-861&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r
    Not long ago the FX 60 was selling for about $300 for an OEM. I noticed TigerDirect had them on sale packaged with a $400 barebones kit (sold out now). Anyone looking for a low priced, highend AMD, that was it.

As for the K8L, I doubt AMD will have an easy battle of it this time around. AMD caught Intel napping and later didn't realize Intel was busy in the skunkworks with the C2D. Intel repaid AMD in kind, last year no one thought the C2D would dethrone the King of the Hill. Intel has already moved past the C2D and is making improvements. Theres already the quad cores and the new build technology. 8 times the performance of a C2D might win AMD the crown, we'll just have to wait and see. Seems like that's the game; we had to wait a couple of years on an Intel comeback and now we've waited nearly a year for AMD. It appears AMD didn't have a secret weapon on hand after all and had to build one. I'm anxiously awaiting what they have to offer. AMD's latest releases haven't beer very competitive.

I'll still recommend users get PCs when they need them unless a well tested technology is coming online. Anyone waiting on Intel a few years ago would have had a long wait and the AMD fans would have been waiting the past year for a breakthrough product to rival Intel's new processors.

It's interesting to go back in the forum archives to last year's posts and read comments and then note what some people are using today. "Love them AMDs and Intel is just trying to perpetrate a hoax to damage AMD sales..." "They couldn't be that good..." "They could only make a few and they're not selling them to the public..." I think most of us remember the comments. Even AMD management made light of Intel in the media. I doubt either company will be caught napping again any time soon.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

Pacman777,
    You got it in one!!!

(Just checking the red text thing:])

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The article was from January and there's still no sightings or independent testing of a K8L chip or news of AMD switching to a new fabrication process. Intel has been strutting their stuff. Intel is already ahead with a new process and showing working samples of the newer process CPUs to come.

As I mentioned before, it will be about a year following Conroe that we "may" see a competitive effort from AMD. AMD has been working on the Barcelona for release this summer at 65nm (currently building 90nm).

Intel is working with a 45nm process using hafnium-based high-k dielectric and metal gates to decrease current leakage. The process is supposed to yield faster and more energy efficient chips. Penryn adds to C2D with additional cache memory and new SSE4 instructions. Samples are being demonstrated and word has it the new chips may ship sometime in the 2nd half of the year.

Intel isn't napping and K8L will have competition. Intel is proving and showing it's stuff while we're still getting rumors from AMD management.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Yeah well, in a couple of years you will find them at swap meets for $20. I'm really surprised they continued making them for so long! If they stick around long enough (or I win the Lotery) I may even buy one to fool around with!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

20. crowy

crowy Guest

PacMan777,
    Not so long ago it was the other way around!!!
    There were engineering samples on mainboards provided by Intel being shown to review sites by Intel engineers to show the power of their new processors.Many people questioned the integrity of Intel and were these Intel prototypes tweaked above what Joe Public would be able to buy off the shelf.It turns out C2D exceeded everyones expectations.
    If AMD are giving predictions of 40 % improvement over C2D I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see more like a 50% improvement.(Just my thoughts)If I'm wrong....so be it.If I'm right we all have something to look forward too!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.