1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@crowy
    im not sure whats going on with those pics, both the and the links work fine for me.

@sam
    i had what sounds like the same issue with my first mobo and scan swapped it for me. mine worked fine for a day then just refused to connect to my modem. i plugged my old pc into it and i could connect to the internet but that one wouldn't. after some saerching on the asus forums i found no-one else who had had the same, (might of changed since) untill i read your post just i had figured that mine was a one off.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, which board? this is the A8N-SLi SE.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

no my p5nesli, i didnt realise you was talking about your a8.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the P5 is fine so far, touch wood, Although the fact that my Freezer 7 Pro fell off in transit when it was properly secured concerns me a bit. One thing I've noticed though, the chipset heatsink gets really hot. It's good that the heatsink gets hot rather than just the chip, but nonetheless for such a big heatsink, to not be able to hold my finger on it seems a bit excessive!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

mine was the same it even idled around 40c, i refitted it with some cheap ceramique paste (have to say it was quite a mess under the hs before) and it dropped to 36c ish and i have since ghetto engineered it so it now has a 60mm fan (old p3 cpu hsf) blowwing down onto it which has dropped it to around 32c idle and 40c under prolonged heavy load (add 2 or 3c for when i drop the fans speed to 45% with speedfan).

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting. Although until that temp becomes a problem, I'm happy with it being silently cooled :)

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Is that the one you were bragging about running without the cooling fan operating?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep. Your point? If it's "well the chipset might have overheated" I've never seen it above 40C. It's been Arctic Silvered, and so survives fanless.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

One pays for those big overweight coolers sometimes. It's mass and inertia with connectors not built to withstand the load. I've got a big Zalman 9700. No problems, but I don't move it around much. Were there many holes and stops on the way back to the university? ;) I'd take the cooler off my PC if I was going to transport it very far.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Point being ASUS put it there for a reason. It would be interesting to see what is actually wrong with your board instead of exchanging it. But I can see your point of not wanting to get into the downtime and expense of shipping it off to ASUS.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But the freezer 7's a light cooler, so I don't see why that'd happen.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

520g isn't exactly light in comparison to the stock cooler. The big Zalmans don't weigh much more and they come with a weight warning, or used to. What's the allowable weight for your board before the cooler is considered overweight?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I'm unclear if your cooler fell off while you were transporting it or in shipping. My personal rule of thumb for transporting mine is to lay it on it's side with the CPU cooler up. That way up and down movement doesn't shake it loose. There's a fair amount of weight sticking out so that if your computer was moved standing upright I can understand why it happened.

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm perhaps, but it never happened with my Zalman. Besides, I thought being Aluminium, the Freezer 7 would be light in comparison to the copper Zalmans, perhaps not.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The Freezer is 520g and the Zalman 9700 is about 760. If I remember right, both are over the weight limit and require care in handling. The Zalman you had uses a screw down mounting system. The Freezer doesn't and is more prone to coming loose due to vibration. Plus, as theonejrs mentioned, the design has the weight is well above the board causing inertial forces to exert more strain on the mount. Theonejrs is right about the preferred position to transport, case on it's side with the cooler up.

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

is it possible that the press down locking clip things weren't twisted fully away from the open position? as i noticed last time i refitted mine that they came away very easily when only half twisted, never mind fully twisted to open?

i toaly agree with russ about moving the tower, even if im just moving it to the table for a bit of cleaning i hold it on the side so the mobo is at the bottom. i wouldnt like to conceive the inertial forces on the mobo/hsf in play during a car or van journy.

pacmans right to about the fitting, its probably not the most secure in the world, but it is very easy to fit, which in comparison to some others (which have made me bleed before now) is a bonus in my book.

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The other thing you could do is cut a piece of foam/polystyrene to the correct size to fit inside the case so it sits under the heatsink and takes all the weight when its moved.

The idea of removing the heatsink would soon p me off when reapplying heatsink compound, and lying it on its side although ideal, can sometimes be awkward with other stuff in the car.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

To each his own BigDK. I've not even moved my system out of the house since I built it. Many people don't. I've got plenty of room in my vehicles, so I can lay a PC on its side if I want or need to for a short move. With something like a Mini Cooper there might be room constraints. ;) No more than I move my PC and with the cooler a snap off item, all I need to worry about is the compound. That is a quick cleanup with alcohol and a clean install. I've got it down and it only takes a few minutes. It's not like it's some big deal. Then I can stand the case any way I want it and go cross country without fear of damaging anything, hitting holes and slamming on my brakes along the way.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Well its only an idea.

I have a large people carrier, so room isn't an issue for me either.

As I'm using a water cooling setup, moving it about isn't something I'd do anyway, too many pipes, fans and a bloody great radiator, along with my external res isn't something I would want getting knocked about.

I already have a wonderful invention that solves my PC portability problems, it's called a laptop!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    BTW! Regarding that picture of the big radiator. You didn't "borrow" it from PackMan777's Mini Cooper did you? ROFL That thing looks huge!
    I considered doing that when I ship this next customer build to Chicago, but I'm going to let them install the Arctic 7 Pro. I'll borrow mine from my computer and use it for set-up. Everything else should ship well in the Cooler Master box as it's exceptionally sturdy and well made!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.