1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Packman777,
    I think Soph assumed that's what I had to do to achieve that high an OC. I've never run my voltage on this machine over 1.375! Right now it's at 1.325 at 3.71GHz. I may have typed in the wrong number but I don't remember saying that I had raised it too high! The big problem was heat in the VRMs caused by a less than Sterling power supply that just couldn't deliver enough watts coupled with some sub 100v line voltage. Add my 3.81 overclock and there's just too much load. I've since added a boost transformer to pick up the line to about 110V or better. This way the load is on the transformer instead of the PS. I've also installed a much better quality 500W PS with dual 12v rails. Haven't had any problems since! I will be adding a line conditiong transformer down the road which I will custom build. I'm designing it now with a little help from some friends at Siemens and when I have the money for all the parts needed, I'll build it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Like I said, I was just going by what was said in the previous posts, and you weren't denying it. That's really irrelevant. Even if you didn't fry it with settings, you had a poor PSU that did the job for you. Don't you monitor your system? As for a PSU, if you have serious problems with low voltage and fluctuations I'd go with a UPS or a variable voltage PSU like the Corsair.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There seems to be a lot going for these Corsair power supplies, SilentPCReview also rates them as the quietest power supply, with the fans staying at minimum speed until above 300W load, and still being the quietest PSU at 400W at only 29dB. At higher loads it gets noisy but I can't see me using that much power even with an R600.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Quiet, powerful, stable, triple 12V rails, 90~264V automatic voltage control, modular cables, and industrial grade capacitors. I'm sure I left some relevant items out. What more could a person ask for other than more power?

Sammorriss,
    I think with all the features and the rave reviews on this one, I'd overlook a few extra watts. LOL They're always there if you need them later for an upgrade.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan77,
    Mostly just dumbness on my part! I'll never buy a cheap PS again! Wrong place to go cheap! The voltage here in SoCal is terrible, especially in the summer when I've seen it as low as 97v, no load!!

Best Regards,
    theone

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm. My Hiper 580W provided ample power, but got very noisy (at least for me) at the sort of loads I play games at. My Thermaltake Toughpower 750W is currently not a great deal better in that respect, but that's due to the oversized heatsink on the P5N-E, it can't be mounted so it blows air out via the case fan, it blows the hot air from the CPU into the power supply, which probably emulates another 3 or 4 hundred watts in the extra heat the PSU has to exhaust. That aside, however, the fan makes an annoying noise at idle, so I may end up getting a Corsair unit at some point in the future. Considering how good Yate Loon 12cm fans are, I'm highly disappointed in the 14cm model.

7. REAM

REAM Guest

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They don't mention the manufacturer of the RAM. Being that they don't, and it's a UK site, it could be elixir, in which case don't buy it. You'd be better off buying decent RAM separately, those bundles don't typically save you much anyway.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As I pointed out in the post to Sammorriss the Corsair has automatic control 90~264V and is very stable on power delivery. Sounds like it's tailor made for your environment. If things were that bad, I'd use a UPS and the variable PSU.

REAM
    I usually dislike packages because they end up with things I don't need or don't want. This pack contains a fan heatsink and RAM I wouldn't want to use. I would have to find some way to move them and replace with components of my choice. I prefer better cooling and performance RAM that can be OCed. If you're not going to tweak the settings, it probably doesn't matter.

Asus board, C2D processor, XMS Corsair DDR2 RAM (2x1GB depending on OS), Zalman 9700 cooler, and a Corsair or OCZ PSU. That's the heart of a top rate system.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Silly thing to point out, but there's only one s at the end of my sn, Pacman. I'm not annoyed, it's just obviously I'd prefer it right ;-)

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Right, sort of silly with all the typos going on around here. You can tell theonejr he can try getting my name right and PacMan has 777 following it for your own enlightenment. LOL You've not been getting my avatar right either. Not that I care. I only put the 777 on because there's so many using the PacMan name and it's easy to remember. I didn't realize we were getting so formal.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, apologies, I'm not trying to be overly formal, in fact the opposite as you pointed out. It seemed natural to refer to you as Pacman and Russ as 'theone' but I don't see how it's natural to add an extra letter to my name. Anyway, I'll say no more about it.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Well to make things less formal and help my typing, is it okay to call you Sam? If theonejrs doesn't mind, I'll call him theone or Russ, whichever he prefers. PacMan is fine for me and I don't mind if theonejrs slanders it with Packman (though I'm not a beast of burden). No need to apologize. The way the extra s got in there is because Morriss can be spelled with one s or 2 at the end. I guess I'm more used to using 2.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan777,
    I was listening to Brazil 66 at the time! LOL!!! I usually do get it right though! LOL Sorry!!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, I've never seen it written with the extra S. oh well, the more you know! Yeah sam is fine, and easier still! :)

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

fyi, Mort81 is the only nick acceptable for me :) only jking of course. Mort is fine.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Mort
    You wouldn't prefer Sir Mort? LOL But then the initials are those for S&M. ;) Looks like slander a name evening.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hehe. hey PacMan777, how bout we use your capitalized initials and add an S. PMS777 :) :) only funnin wit ya buddy.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

PMS777 would be worse than a day after hell, 666. LOL Maybe PMS666 would be better. Problem is I'm not equipped with an open faucet.

S&M does conjure some interesting images. LOL Something about women in black leather. ;) I'm not into letting one use a whip or tie me up though. LOL This has really gotten me distracted now, thoughts of Halle Berry in her Cat Woman suit.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

since we're so far of topic anyway, i'm contemplating getting a sound card. my klipsch desktop speakers are only 2.1 so i don't need anything too fancy. would a SB audigy SE do the trick? any suggestions welcome but i don't need or want to spend the money on a X-Fi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.