1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

with one motherboard under RMA, I don't really dare play with another.

2. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    that's fair enough!!!

Maybe marsey99 can give it a shot and see if there is any benefit.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorris (with one s)
    Unless you have a bad board a BIOS revision is routine maintenance as far as I'm concerned. Sort of like updating the firmware for an optical drive. I've never had a problem updating or reverting to an older version if I needed to. Often the updates are for a reason and I like to keep things up to date. I usually check to see if the update is somethin I need though.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't know why theonejrs addressed that post to me. I haven't complained about my pc being noisy and don't even have an artic 7 pro.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah. First of all, does Marsey experience the same issues?
    Mort: hmm, me neither. Ah well, gotta love Russ' little quirks.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

I still think you will be pleasently suprised if you relink your fsb:drm ratio, keep it at 1:1 as you raise the fsb, set the timings at 4-4-4-12, and up the vcore to around 1.38 but I won't make any more suggestions and butt out. good luck.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My only query is "is 1.56V safe for the northbridge"

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

I never had to up my nb voltage on my mobo. it's still set on auto. then again my OC is not as much as yours. 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz verses 1.8ghz to 3.0ghz or higher.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy
    That bios revision was a nightmare and has been pulled from the list of available bioses by Asus. If someone has downloaded it before Asus killed it, don't use it as it has a whole bunch of problems! Doing so may cause you to have to replace the bios chip or even the MB. I'll see if I can find the link for it as I only read about it a couple of days ago. Problem is I don't remember where. It was a link I got from Gina so I'll ask ger to either post it or give me the link and I'll post it.

Not Joking,
    theone

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

where to start hhmm?

yea russ sent me a pm the other day and it was addressed to mort, i think that post above was aimed to me and i think he may have us mixxed up.

bios 0505....i posted about it the other day, it seems that from what i have read on the asus forums its not worth flashing to it. it updates so it will recognise the new 4mb conroes and fixxes some vista issues but nothing else. add to this it dissables the ability to drop the cpu multi, so i aint going to using that one. 0404 is on mine and it seems great to me but some people are still having some major issues with ram (thats why i got corsair).

the board does have some quirks tho i do have to say that, my biggest issue has been with the bios save feature. find a setting that works, so you think great save that so i can try somthing else, continue testing other settings but when you reload the save file that worked fine befere and it laughs at you and fails to post. change any setting one way or the other and it will work. so i dont use that feature now.

sometimes it will fail to post, well i get the single bleep like its posted but thats it os doesnt load. hold the power down for 4 seconds(thats another feature i have enabled in the bios, forgot about that one) to turn it off and next time it boots up with out missing a beat. it doesnt seem to like running t1 at or above 400 (ddr800) on the ram but below it has no trouble. last one isn't realy relivent but anyhoo, i have 2 temp sensor on this board that i have no idea in the world what they are. speed fan reports my temps as temps 1,2 and 3 with cores 0 and 1 my hard drives and another temp 1. now from using other temp software i have found the first 1 is the cpu 2 is the mobo 3 is a unknown that is always reporting 40c and the second temp 1 is another unknown that is always reporting 25c(everest mixes up my cpu and my unknown temp 1 and says that the cpu is an aux temp?

fsb black holes, i had a few of them too, some aroun 15 to 25 others more than 50. mainly in the high 1200s and most of the 1400s.

nb volts. i cant tell you as i aint touched it tbh, before i changed anything i found out what it was on at auto. i couldnt find out what my nd was running and so i left it as it was and its not failed me so far(i thnk). i think if you watch your temps you will be able to judge when you give it too much but im guessing that if you are at 1333 it will most likly be on one of the top 2 volt settings in the bios. what does yours idle at? mine is now about 36c if i remove the fan but i reseated the hs on it. i have to say im glad i did, it was a mess underneath. i also stuck some 4mm rubber feet on the corners where the pushpins are not to give it a bit of support as just the push pins are a bit wobbly.

edit

russ from what i have seen its been pulled twice and put back up again. what this means i have no idea, hopfully its been tweaked and fixxed, but untill i read that its an improvement over 04 im not changing.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    Asus warns of CPR failure when OCing too far with the older BIOS. What is too far is the question. Now that it's fixed in 0505 how far can one go? ;) This is along the lines of what marsey99 was complaining about with losing preferred settings. For some systems the update may add little or nothing, but for those with the CPUs in question, it might be handy.

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

I thought the 9800 werent very good cards arent they a bit faster then the 9600 and the 9600 were good cards a while back but they are still alright at games that ive seen but 300 for a 9800 isnt that a bit too much? LOL!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Where to start with a reply? lol
    on the BIOS revs, I haven't seen a single one that hasn't caused any issues yet, so I'll hold fire on that, especially if

you've got an updated one and you still get similar problems.
    Heh, you're lucky to get a beep, All I have to go on is that the POST screen doesn't appear because most modern PC cases it

seems don't come with PC speakers any more. What gives with that?
    As for speedfan, I get the random temp1 that always shows 40C as well, it's presumably a bug with our mobo, it comes up as

"Aux" in Everest as well.
    My NB gets pretty hot, 40-45C load, but the so does the heatsink, so it must be doing its job. I'm contemplating refitting that with some Arctic silver though, especially since the voltage is higher. If I set NB voltage to Auto, I could only get 2.25Ghz, when I set the voltage at 1.56V, I was allowed up to 2.62Ghz, and when I tried the same again, 3.00Ghz, even though it's not completely stable.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,

Sorry I missed your previous post on this one....
    I'll have to read a bit closer next time!!!

15. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    40-45 degrees doesn't sound to bad.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37916

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

when you compare it to that it doesnt look that hot does it.

have to say i was concerned about mine at first as it was idling 38/40c ish. i think that asus expected most of the people who buy this board to oc will remove the fitted cooling and add there own.

im more than happy after just refitting mine and screwing a 60mm fan onto the stock hs mine idles at 32c and hits 36c after a good gaming session only stress testing has took it above that.

i couldnt tell you where i posted about that bios, i just thought i would let sam and russ know what i had read about it as they both have it too.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Some people worry too much. They should get the tweaks to the OC in limits the system can support without being over stressed. All new BIOSs couldn't be bad or there would be no need for them. Granted some are bug ridden, but a lot of those are betas. Not all updates are meant for all systems built on the board. If it's just a matter of supporting a new CPU, why would you need it and yours already booting. Some settings come and go. I see how that can be annoying. But that is usually for the more extreme OCers.

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have to agree and disagree with you here pacman. i think alot of people dont worry enough about temps. look thru the general threads and alot of the problems people have are caused by insuficent cooling.

bios well yes and no again, if you need to for cpu support, of course but if your system is working fine and the contents of the new bios will add little or no benefit to you, or even worse remove features you use (down changable multi) its a nobrainer in my mind.

now the latset released bios on my board doesnt realy address the issues that the user base are looking for. they want more ram compatability and issues with 4x1gb sticks. for me i want my saved profiles to work after i save them because i know they worked before i did.

just my 2 pennies worth.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd like a BIOS that doesn't have huge blackspots, but we don't all get what we want!

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

lol i think ocers everywhere would love that bios.

i think that they might be linked to the ram and ratios, but i have nothing to back this up other than a gut feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.