1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For lower load PCs, they're one of the best PSUs you can buy, quiet, reliable, relatively efficient, good looking and modular. It's just a shame they're noisy at high loads, but hey, I can live with that.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

I really havent noticed any trouble with any of my PSU all of them (3 of them) are company stock 2 of which are micro ATx the other one a Full ATX sized one and ive never had trouble with any.
    one is 7 years old the other 6 and the last one is 2.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Stock power supplies for manufactured PCs are usually decent items. They have to be good enough to get past the warranty period. If they're good enough to do that most will make the long haul. I've got some old P2s in storage I've not had the heart to throw away and the PSUs are still good. Many of the factory PSUs are low output and not anything an enthusiast would be wanting. Dell is putting more powerful units in some of their PCs, but a common sight is a PSU 300W or below.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yeah I know what you mean LOL!.
    YOu just dont feel like doing it because a few year ago you did alot one way or the other to get it this is my main reason for not thowing my old consoles and Pc's away.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 250W stock power supply that came in my old PC weighed an absolute tonne. Comparing it to the cheap-ass unit that replaced it, it's half the power, and yet 2 or possibly 3 times the weight.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Speaking of power supplies, I took a chance on a newer name brand XClio about a year ago, and the cooling fan stopped even though it was still powering the machine.
    It happened roughly the same time I swapped in a new processor (maxing out my 939 board with Opteron 185 up from 175), and I really thought I recieved a bad one since temperatures shot up. I will install the new power supply (one of Sammorris favorites Hiper 580) tomorrow. Hopefully that will help my problems. If it doesnt, I'll be back trying to sort bigger problems...

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

For about the same price you could have had the Corsair 520 and for about $35 more you could have had the 620w version. All you need to do is check around a bit to see which has gotten the best reviews and check the Corsair site for the full specs. Not many power supplies compare. I mentioned the Corsair because it has modular cables. Also, I prefer the connectors over the radio type used on the Hiper.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, they're hardly a specific favourite of mine, my main PC uses a Thermaltake PSU at the moment, with the regular modular connectors. They are pretty quiet at idle, but had I known how good the Corsair units were when I bought my PC< I probably would have got one of those and stuck with it.

9. redice

redice Regular member

PacMan777

do you have links to the psu which you speak of?

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I have a lot of respect for the Hiper 580W. It will power a very powerful system with an 8800GTX even though that's a bit of a high load for it. But it'll take the punishment and keep going for several years on that setup.

But as an overclocker with a need for a high power PSU to power my OC and a power-hungry video card I used the Enermax Liberty 620W. Super high quality, low noise, and a kickass warranty. It'll power even the next gen of video cards effortlessly. But then again I wouldn't SLi an 8xxx series card on it. I would, however SLi and Crossfire the GeForce 7 series and the Radeon X1000 series respectively.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How many PSUs come with 8-pin PCI express connectors these days?

13. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks aabbccdd

well it looks like toss up between the Corsair psus and the Hiper psus

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

redice
    After a $20 rebate the 620 is only $124.90 (with free shipping) at ZipZoomFly.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110&prodlist=pricegrabber
    Newegg's sale price is still high.

Estuansis
    The Corsair isn't the only PSU I like, but here is why it's in the running. Not many PSU brands have the features or gained such a good rep so fast. http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html It's relatively quiet, powerful, and feature loaded, making it a favorite for custom builders. Plus the Corsairs come with a 5 year warranty (Enermax is 3 years). I just wish Corsair had a more powerful one. The OCZ is another favorite of mine. The RAM companies appear to know how to make a good PSU.

But if one person says white, there will usually be someone there to say black. We have our favorites and they're not always the same. That's what user preference and market competition is all about. I stated my favorites and the product and stats support my decision along with the PSUs delivering as advertised. There's other good brands. I just suggest a builder get a good one. Besides power, power stability is an issue and the architecture of the unit. That's back to product specs again. A company might sell me one unit, but I'd never buy more if it didn't deliver. The Corsair delivered and then some. The only flaw I find in Corsair's offerings is there are only the 520w and 620w units to choose from. But when they fill the need, that's what I get.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Definitely not putting down Corsair. They rule lol.

I'm waiting on a Liberty series Enermax to go to 750W or 800W. That's my next PSU purchase.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I by no means ever said the hiper type r was one of the best psu's you can buy but for the money mine has performed excellent. there are many out there quit a bit better but then again they also cost more. I really like the gold plated aeronautical modular connectors and that the rear fan stays on for about 5 min after shutting down the pc.

sam said his was noisy (could be because his cpu hsf was blowing directly onto the bottom psu fan), but mine on the other hand is quiet.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Estuansis
    LOL I'm not trying to sell Corsair either. There's others I'll use. They need a smaller unit as well as a larger one. The 520 is overkill for a little work puter and the 620 is a little low for some of the performance builds with power hungry dual GPU setups.

Mort81
    The type connectors they use are one of the turnoffs for me. I remember them from radios and they were a lot of trouble. With less flexing they wouldn't be as much trouble with a PC, but I still don't care for them.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PacMan,

do you have one or have you used one? they have caused me absolutely no problems and stay secure better than other modular push in connectors. those reviews where ppl were complaining about the connectors on the hiper not staying on or crossthreading, well you know what I think about reviews, the psu is smarter than the installer lol.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Mort
    I've had my hands on them and I don't currently own a sytem with a Hiper. Those connectors are the same type found on radios. As I mentioned, in the PC applications they won't make as much difference because they're not stressed as much. However, from experiences with those type connectors, I don't like them. They use male~female connectors that tend to spread when flexed. I'll repeat it again, probably not as much trouble in a PC application. However, I think the plugin and snap connectors used on most modular PSU cables do a better job. There's more to it than just the connectors. I'm willing to spend a few dollars more for a good PSU. Plus the PSUs I mentioned don't cost much more than the Hiper.

Here's a note for Hiper users from the website.
    http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html
    I'm not using an Extreme, but someone might. I won't compare Hiper's specs to Corsair or the warranty periods. Anyone think it's necessary, the links for the home websites are listed. As I mentioned, I'm not trying to sell Corsairs, I'm just not enthusiastic about what I've seen from Hiper.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PackMan777,
    Add my vote to that as well! Add heating and cooling by being used and the connectors start arcing inside. I've seen the plastic on the plugs actually melt to the PS.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.