1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pacman777: What we're looking at is the GOOD memory companies manufacturing PSUs. People who overclock or who want high performance rigs use Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, G-Skill and the like. You don't see people like Elixir making Power supplies, and it's just as well! I suppose the quality of those product lines is transferred to the PSU business. However, a Mushkin PSU received pretty bad press at Silentpcreview, not just for loud fans (and god, they were!) but a fault that caused a quiet, but noticeable high pitch noise even when the PC is turned off...

Estuansis: Heh yeah, and hope it's cooled like the rest of them. The Enermax Galaxy is one of the loudest PSUs on the market. 50dB at 500W and above. Compare that to 29dB (and eventually 43dB at max) for the Corsair units.

Mort81: it's only with my Core 2 system that the CPU blows into the power supply, and that makes the Thermaltake Toughpower noisy, not that the fan was that great to start with. The Hiper's fan just ran fast on its own. I'm relatively confident the 120mm fan wasn't at fault, but the 80mm at the back, as I could only ever hear one particular tone from it (and I doubt both the fans run at the same speed). The Hiper's not the only PSU to run the fans after shutdown, my Thermaltake does it as well, but just makes a lot more noise in doing so, I'd say maybe 25dB vs 18dB, something like that. Difference is, the Hiper seemed to always run the fan for about 5 minutes, my Thermaltake only runs the fan until the temperature has dropped below a certain point, so if you only word process, it might not stay on at all, but if you shut down just after playing a game, it stays on for a minute or so.

Pacman777: It's interesting, people's opinions on the Hiper connectors, anybody I've seen in person says how good quality they look, and yet a lot of people on forums say they could end up being trouble prone. Personally I think the plastic clip system used on the Thermaltake and many other PSUs looks a bit cheap, but then I suppose so do Molex connectors, and how long have we used those?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. dazila

dazila Regular member

I have a few Pentium 3's lying around about 3 the best one is.
    1ghz Pentium 3 Coppermine 370FG-PGA.
    512mb Pc133.
    120gb IDE HDD.
    256mb Radeon 9600Pro.
    Intel D815EFV chipset.
    Well what do you guys think Is hould do with it what ios the top game I could get running with it?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pff, I couldn't say, I don't usually work things out like that, it's usually 'can I play x game with y PC specs' -have a little experiment. Technically that PC should be able to play Unreal Tournament 2004.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

LOL!
    Ive managed to run Underground 1 on high graphic settings just now LOL!.
    but I doubt I can push it futher then Underground 2 on high time for the dumpster or hand it down to someone not a heavy user but still runs smooth hasnt been booted since the end of last year.
    I'd keep the 9600pro though still alright for most games but its AGP,
    and I paid about 155au for it another reason to keep it LOL!.
    Im immpressed though a Pentium 3 can run undergorund at this level.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I don't think underground is too CPU intensive, so it's just down to the graphics card, and a 9600 Pro is still better than the integrated graphics in some new PCs today!

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yeah I thought so it only needs 700+mhz Underground 2 needs 933mhz so i could give it a go.
    Yeah the 9600 runs well in most apps ive tried but that Pentium 3 is noisy I dont know why its not borken noise just teh dam fans zzzzzzzzzzzzzz n there is only 1 on teh CPu one one the PSU and one on the 9600 and it sound louder then my Pentium 4 with 6 fans.
    Maybe it's just wear on the bearings when you use stuff alot and it deteriates you dont really notice cause it goes so slow but once you compare its a big difference to what it used to be.
    By the way what is the max you can overclock an Intel Pentium 3 1ghz 256kb High speed L2 FLip Chip Pin Grid Array...?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dazila,
    I'm not sure which chip you mean? I thought all they made was a socket 340 and a slot 1. I have a Dell 420 Workstation with Dual 1GHz/512s in it and they are slot 1 Coppermines. Fastest P III I ever saw. Faster than a 2.8/800 Prescott! I know because I had both and the Dell 3000 I had came with the 2.8/800. It ran about 10% slower than the Workstation with it's Dual CPUs.

Happy computering,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My old P3 was very noisy but it had a loud PSU fan, and additionally the bearing was going on the CPU fan, and the same washappening to one of the case fans in my Athlon XP system, when you first turned it on, one of the fans span round but made a loud grinding noise that gradually got slower and quieter until it disappeared altogether, yet the fan was still running at full speed. As for overclocking a P3, don't know, never did it. The first PC I tried to overclock was my X2.

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its a Coppermine "EB".
    340pin one not Slot 1.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dazila,
    Sorry I should have asked before, but I'm tired! What make and model is the motherboard? What type, speed and size of the memory. And what speed is the FSB 100 or 133MHz. Many of the faster P IIIs were Rambus memory and most of those ran on the higher 133MHz bus. Let me know!

Regards,
    theone

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The FSB was only 133mhz? perhaps that's why RDRAM never really caught on.. :p

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorris
    I think look is the operative word. Hiper said they designed them. There's nothing new in the design, it's been around longer than PCs. With the colors and the screw on rings the Hiper connectors look good to some people. Those who have had experience with that type connector are usually leery of them.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, I wonder why Hiper chose to use them then?

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks and to have something different. It appears to be a sales feature for Hiper.

15. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its 133mhz and runs on 512mb PC133 SDRAM and the MB is an Intel D815EFV AGP.

16. gina4xoxo

gina4xoxo Guest

Hey, everyone! Remember me? Just stopping by to say hello! As you all know, I finally decided on the E4300 and P5N-e and am having theonejrs build it for me. Can't wait to get it back!! Very excited!
    I had stopped reading and posting for a while while I was getting everything ordered and doing research, etc., but now I'm back reading and hoping to learn even more! Now at least I'll have a system to ask specific questions about if I have to and not have to be so general in my questions.
    Hope everyone is doing well and having fun with their toys! Can't wait to get my hands on mine!!! Wooooo hoooooo.......LOL
    Gina

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The Hiper twist rings can be a bit fiddly, and if your not careful they could get cross threaded, but I've never had any issues with either the build quality and how they mate and lock, or how they perform electrically or lastly how easily they come off if taking things apart.

Its by no mans the best PSU out there, a long way from it, but for the money they are very good quality and are built pretty good, this is backed by a 3 year warranty which isn't available on all PSU's.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dazila,
    Here's a link to the MB manual. The only thing I see that is adjustable is the memory timings. It's in .pdf format so you need Adobe Reader to view it. If you have the manual then you don't need it. The AGP on those is unfortunately to old x4 standard and is not compatable with the current 8x.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815EEA2/EA2FV_English.pdf

I will look around and see if I still have any of the old standard 4x video cards left around. I know I had a Matrox and an Asus at one time that did pretty good with games. If I can find anything I'll let you know as you are more than welcome to them. Whether they would be any better than what you are using right now, I don't know.

Sincerely,
    theone

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Enermax! Enermax! w00t!

lol, just being a fanboy I guess. But the Liberty comes with modular cabling and does not look nor does it feel cheap. My 620W shut down at 635W! The 500W shut down at 510W! I think they will definitely get the job done well even with modular cables.

I also have a 3-year warranty on both my PSUs that I don't think I'll ever use. I still would recommend the 620W Enermax or Corsair for Dual 7900s or X1900s. They'll handle it without even breaking a sweat.

Even the 400W Enermax Liberty is SLi certified. But no doubt only useful for a GeForce 6600GT build.

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I would agree that Enermax probably make the best PSU's

Now I have my Mountain Mod case, a Galaxy PSU is on my shopping list.

Like I said the Hipers are good for the money, but are no where near the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.