1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't fit, not unless I start cutting the fan surround up, anyway, and I'm just a wee bit nervous of doing that. :p I was going to consider getting the Notua NH-U12F heatsink or Scythe Ninja to use a quiet 120mm fan for my CPU, but then that is a monumental amount of weight, and if my Freezer 7 Pro managed to fall off my CPU, do I trust anything heavier? Of course, there's also no guarantee that they'll fit the right way round either, due to the vast chipset heatsink on the P5N-E. Can't help but wonder if it's worth replacing that with something a little smaller, and leaving the CPU heatsink alone, since the Arctic is very quiet at minimum (PWM) speed, and I don't have any heat issues at that level.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I have a feeling that something may get a little hot at that point and might eventually melt or at least warp the fan blade. I noticed that it appears to be Lexan Plastic, not the cheap kind. Lexan handles heat very well but is much more expensive than just regular clear plastic. The give away is how clear and distortion free the plastic used is. in fact all the Dentist's lights these days have thier lenses shielded by Lexan as they get very hot. If the Halogen bulb bursts because of a stray drop of water from the mouth or air/water syringe getting past the gap of the lens cover the broken glass will melt the lenscover but it won't melt through and fall on the patient or into the patients mouth. I can't see any other reason to use that type of material other than to shield something from heat. Just a guess, mind you but it makes sense to me!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fair enough I suppose, but it's the first I've seen of it, and I wonder why other PSUs don't seem to use it.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Maybe this one had problems with a hot spot from the begining. Lexan is designed to handle very high temperatures without distortion or yellowing. The Pelton & Crane Company was the first to use Lexan shields maybe 30 years ago or more. Thier light uses a 150 Watt Halogen bulb, so it gets quite hot. In fact the lens coatings are designed to draw heat away from the bulb and radiate that heat through one of the coatings on the back of the glass lens. Did you ever notice the little glass tit on a halogen bulb like in one of those torche lights. That's the heat exhause that draws the heat away from the bulbs filament, and even if it's aimed right at the lens cover, it usually won't melt it. I've seen it yellow and bubble it a bit but it won't melt from the heat. Believe me, if I didn't know about the covers on the dental lights and recognized the material as some form of Lexan, I would be as much in the dark about it as you are.

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

Is the X800GTO alot better then the 9600Xt?
    And how is it comparing to a 6600?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Didn't know there was an X800GTO for AGP, but yes the X800GTO is just a litrle bit slower than the 6800GT and easily bests the 6600 and 9600.

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yeah I know its PCI-E (The X800GTO) just cant remember if teh shop had it or a X850 is the X850 better or about the same? its PCI-E

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An X850XT is significantly better than an X800GTO. The model range of the X800s went (from worst to best)
    X800GT
    X800GTO / X800 Pro
    X800XL
    X800XT
    X800XT Platinum
    And the X850XT beats all of them.
    The X850XT is about 60% faster than the X800GTO.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the 850xt spanks more modern cards like the 7600gt and 1650xt too.

sam as luck my have it, i have just taken a pic of my fan mounting and when i have got it out my phone and hosted it i will post a link to it to show how small the notch needs to be.

i say as luck my have it but im not sure wether its good or not, my pc crashed last night for no apparent reason and then refused to load xp. every time it got to the blue bar it would pause. any way i tried everything it would let me (safe modes) with out any success so i pulled the cmos bat out and left it over night and it is now working. i took the pic as i had it open and did some other small bits while it was open. i gave i quick clean and modded my 60mm fan on the nb, more ghetto engineering, this time i cut off a corner of the fan housing so i could get the fan more central on the heatsink. its not made any change to the idle temps but it must be better than it was as it was only blowwing over about 3 quarters of it before now the fan blades are centeral on the heatsink.

what has me scratching my head is why clearing the bios has made it boot, or if it was conected to my oc why it didnt boot last night when i set it to stock clocks(its back on stock clocks again for now).

psu topic

anyone read the last 2 issues of custompc? last month was an in depth test of many psu's this month editorial was all about companys reactions to bad reviews (legal action/withdrawing all adds) and how some would like the fact as it made then look to improve there products. amongst the later were antec, enermax, seasonic and tagen, not sure who was the former tho.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can't say I did, I'd be interested to hear who the former were though!

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my mate has nicked last months but when i get it back i will have a look thru who they slated and see if they are in that list and if they have any adds in this months mag.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4628/image055yv9.jpg

this pic is from my phone so its not the best (far from it) but you can see how small the notch is i needed to remove. infact i removed alot more in height than i needed. i removed about 5mm by 5mm and i only need to do it about 2mm up and 5m in.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ooh it's tiny. I may well do that then.

13. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Could be your psu is starting to fail?

Or the room you have your pc is warmer than usual and somethings getting a bit too hot?Have you checked the temps in your bios to see if they are all ok?
    Also check the voltages in your bios to make sure they are within specs.

Try reloading your o/c settings and then check the bios readings.

If it locks up again slow your pc down a tad but leave the voltages as they would be for your current o/c.

If it still locks up drop the voltages a whisker and see if that fixes it.If it does,your psu may be getting weaker.Did you get a new psu when you upgraded or use the old one from your AMD system?

14. crowy

crowy Guest

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahh right, I get it now. Interesting approach. I have to say though, there's not exactly a torrent of air running out the back when the fan's at full speed, and it is supposed to be a 90CFM fan.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I have an X800GTO AGP 8x in my D-940. It's suposed to be as good as the GT at standard speeds, but it doesn't OC very well like the X800GT does. Still, it has 16 active pipes and does everything well. I don't OC my video anyway so no problem for me. The temps get a bit frightening when you do. Don't much like seeing the GPU temps above 90C. Add to that the fan noise at those temps and I'll leave it alone!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry it double posted. Oh well last night there was 2 page 142s. You could only get the first from the link and if you posted, it would return to the second! Maybe it was programed by the invisible man! LOL!!!

Russ

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  18. dazila

dazila Regular member

What is comparing a X850XT to a 7800GT is it big difference,
    like is it as much as comparing a Daewoo to a Mercedes-Benz or just eqaul?

19. crowy

crowy Guest

Dazila,
    There's no comparison there!!!!LOL!!!!

Not sure about the vid cards though.
    I'm sure sam or theone or someone!!! will be able to answer that.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    I'm guessing it doesn't feel like much because the air your feeling is about the same as your body temp (around 37 degrees).
    If the air coming out was 2 degrees or 100 degrees you would think its coming out a lot faster.
    I bet if you light a match and place it behind the exhaust grill on your psu it will extinguish the match!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.