1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

TO be fair Russ, I don't think all X800GTOs have the 16 unlocked pipes like yours, you can probably flash them out, but in your case you didn't have to!
    As for the X850XT vs 7800GT:

HL2 Episode 1: 7800GT 25% faster
    Hard truck apocalypse: X850XT 3% faster
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion Indoor: X850XT 5% faster
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion Outdoor: X850XT 31-120% faster
    Prey: 7800GT 29% faster
    Rise of Legends: 7800GT 42% faster
    Titan Quest: 7800GT 40% faster

Overall, the 7800GT wins. In some games, the cards will be evenly matched, and the X850 wins hands down at Oblivion, but in general the 7800GT will seem faster. After all, they are a generation apart.

Lighting a match by the back of my PSU? Call me a sissy but I don't much fancy that, especially since my PC's on a carpeted floor. The air that comes out of my PSU is hot, I'd guess around 50 Celsius, but there just doesn't seem to be enough of it, comparing it to the 73CFM max Antec fans in my PC case, maybe because the air coming out of them is 20ÂșC... Bear in mind of course, my PSU is my processor's exhaust, not my case fan.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    Your a sissy!!!!!!!

Only joking sam..LOL!!!

Buy or borrow a cheap thermometer and place it at the back of your psu for 5 mins.See what the temp is.

I'll do the same and let you know what mine reads.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's an interesting idea, I'll do that. I'm wondering what the stand-by fan-shutdown point is, because if all I do with the PC is browse the net and word process, the fan turns off at the same time as the PC. If I'm playing games it stays on for a minute and a half until it reaches whatever the cut-off point is.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

Just tried with mine.
    After about 1 min the temp peaked at just over 32 degrees c.
    The room temp here is 29.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, sounds alright. Currently my case fans are exhausting air that's cool to the touch, so is the PSU, only the graphics card is exhausting hot air.
    Ambient of 29? Yikes.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    OK, your a sissy!!! ROFL!

Just funnin with you!
    Some you can and some have been permanently crippled and roached with a laser. It's the luck of the draw. Of course a 12 pipe 800 can't run with a 16 pipe 850. I think the X850 is the better all around card. If you remember we have a mutual friend on another forum that feels that way too!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah the things I bring on myself.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Here's my setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a 40cm fan blowing air into the side of the case and a recirculating loop of coolant(the temp of the coolant varies with room temp.
    Iv'e been stable all summer @2700mhz(orthos stable for 5.5hrs,) with temps ~40 degrees in the afternoon.When winter arrives I will go back to my max stable setting of 2880(9x320).I still want to get a secondhand bar fridge so I can put the coolant reservoir in the freezer and try for 3ghz stable:)

I noticed in the photo's it looks like the fans aren't moving but they are.The flash makes it look like they aren't rotating.
    Now I can see how dusty they are!!!!

Nearly forgot,I'm going to trim those cable ties one day!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, I wondered what you meant when you said "40cm fan" - of course! I'm a bit perplexed by your WC setup, you have a waterblock with a heatsink?

This is my setup, the bottom's very messy at the moment - what with the failure of my server's motherboard, I've transplanted some of the hard disks into my PC temporarily. It used to be neat and tidy down there, honest!
    I can't believe how much those nicks and scratches show up with camera flash, they're normally almost invisible!
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, all fans except the bottom one (which is switchable) were on, as was my UV light at the time the photo was taken. Not that you'd notice!

10. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    No,that's the original x2 3800 heatsink with 4x4mm holes drilled through the base and some garden reticulation and some common air fittings with 5mm and 10mm id plastic tubing for the plumbing(Have a look at your x2 4200's hsf.)you will get the idea.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting idea I suppose. I got my X2 with a Zalman heatsink, so I can't say I know what the X2 heatsink looks like.

12. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    Damn that looks cramped!!!
    Do you run it with the side off or did you take it off for the photo?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The side's not off. The case is closed, and remains closed. You're looking at a case window. :)

14. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    Double rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you just clean that window?????LOL!!!!!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, I haven't cleaned it for ages! Out of interest, where did you think the side case fan was attached?

16. crowy

crowy Guest

When are AMD going to give us a 4ghz 8meg L1,L2,L3,L4 cache processor with integrated 1ghz graphics processor that can complete super pi 1m iterations in 4 secs so we can get back on topic....LOL!!!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When hell freezes over. And with global warming, that's not going to be any time soon! :p

18. crowy

crowy Guest

sam
    I thought it was fixed to the bottom of the case somehow!!!
    Looking at it a second time,it all makes sense!!!!!

P.S. Iv'e had a few drinks and a wee little smoke tonight so excuse me if I miss something!!!!

19. crowy

crowy Guest

Let's hope it's in our lifetime!!!

In 2002 (I think)Intel were promising a 10ghz cpu by now and no one has yet released a 4ghz processor.

A totally new architecture is whats needed to get things moving.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think Intel expected Netburst to make 10Ghz, and then "hmmm, fiddlesticks" would probably be a polite version of what they thought when they realised. Credit to Intel though, never thought I'd upgrade to a CPU clocked 400mhz lower than my last, especially when it wasn't an AMD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.