1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    I agree 100%.
    Intel certainly made a huge leap with C2D.
    Now it's AMD'S turn!

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well now im certian the 7800 isnt wirth the 220au more then the X850XT.
    Why does it have to be so hard to choose LOL!.
    it wasnt this hard when i was buying a Radeon 9700 in 2002 LOL! maybe cause it was the only card that would absolutely smash all of the other cards so it was an easy choice and I still say it is teh most impressive card of all time it made a huge leap.
    Now there is about 50 high end cards and you have to go through every single one to find which one.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

dazila,
    My point exactly!!

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

I miss that 9700pro it let me play every game until the cheapo ATi fan failed and me the idiot esspecially back then LOL! kept pushing it into games warning after warning onscreen zzzzzzzzzzzz 5 sec later no more picture LOL!.
    I paid about 620au for it then it was a pretty good card I think it might have or is faster then a 9600XT?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It wouldn't surprise me, the 9600 was made after the 9700, but was meant to be a midrange model, the 9700 was high end. As for "the only card that would kick all the others" that's still true, it's currently the 8800GTX, and is miles ahead in a league of its own. it's just that graphics cards are expensive!

With regard to the 9700 Pro vs 9600XT, the answer is pretty conclusive!

Unreal Tournament 2004: 9700 Pro 51% faster
    Call of Duty: 9700 Pro 30% faster
    Doom 3: 9700 Pro 62% faster
    Farcry: 9700 Pro 37% faster
    Flight Simulator 2004: 9700 Pro 32% faster
    Joint Operations: 9700 Pro 40% faster
    Battlefield Vietnam: 9700 Pro 51% faster
    TOCA Race Driver 2: 9700 Pro 42% faster

You played games on a graphics card without a fan??? If the fan isn't running on an X1900XT, after half an hour it reaches 130ºC and shuts down, and that's at idle!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

im not sure what caused the pause with the xp load up, i restarted it before to put it back to 3ghz and it loaded as fast as ever.

the temps were low when it happened as it was just after 1am. the funny thing is my temps arent any higher running at 3ghz than they are at default, its getting the same volts (1.35) at both speeds, although i can get it to run stable with alot less volts at 1.8ghz than it defaults to. its only when i go above 1.4v that my temps increase and i only need that much to get 3.2ghz or above.

conclusion

i will never turn my pc off again just incase :)

@sam

i did say it was only a small peice you needed to remove.

have you considered putting the 4300 setup in your 900 case? im sure the extra cooling it would provide would stop some of the issues you have had. plus you could leave the 7 pro as is, blowing out the 200mm fan in that case.

just a thought anyway.

take it easy y'all.

be back after easter

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would, but I place quietness above maximum overclock, and at idle my PC is particularly quiet at the moment, the only really audible noise is the GPU cooler and the current 4 hard disks, when the other 3 are put back in the server, and I change my Raptor for something more subtle, that just leaves the GPU cooler, which I aim to eventually cure with a Thermalright HR-03. The 900 is far more suited to having loads of hard disks, with it's dual-fan cooled front bays, and is also a lot noisier, given the amount of cooling. My CPU maxes at 47 Celsius, and my chipset at about 42 (although to the touch, I'd put the heatsink at about 60, so I'm not sure what's going on there).
    I'm going away to Cornwall for a week as of tomorrow, so I'll catch up with you guys later, am I going to have a lot of posts to read through!

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

Dam that must be the longest useful card i've seen then I know a 9600 is from 2003 and can still run new games at alright quality but that card is from Mid 2002 and smashes then 9600.
    I wonder if any other card has stayed usefull as much as the 9700.
    Yes the game it died on was Need For Speed Underground 1 at the start of 04 so it only lasted me 1 1/2 years from when i bought it I still would have had it if i'd changed the fan it only ran the games for about 1-1 1/2 hours before dying pretty long last since it was running on Maxumin graphics in every area with full filtering and aliasing well i could go into the guinnes book of records LOL!
    Has anyone achived what I have?
    ANyways how much is a 9700XT these days?

9. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Ok Guys im building a desktop. With an AMD CPU which are the top three best. I was Thinking These, AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Windsor / Socket F (4 x 4) Or, AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core (Windsor) / Processor or the AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Hyper-Transport / Dual-Core . If you know a better amd to get do tell. I do alot of video ,audio editing. And i also use intense programs like lightwave, little gaming here and there i mostly play on my playstation though,anyways off topic. Please i dont care if its too powerful for what i do i want a strong pc that i can abuse. thank you in advance.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

all are good just depends on what you want to spend . i got the Opteron 185 for 349.00 a couple months ago. thats IMO the AMD chip to get

keep in mind the new Intel Conroe Cores will out perform any of the top end AMDs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

chop2113,
    Considering that you want to be able to "abuse" it in your words. I would consider looking into an Opteron 185.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103002
    First off, this is a chip designed for the server platform and is designed to run 24/7 for years on end. At Newegg's price of $329 (USD) it's quite a bargain. It has better binning than the A64x2s and there are still a lot of excellent socket 939 motherboards available from Asus, BioStar and GigaByte, just to name a few.

If money is no object then by all means get the FX-74, but at $190 less for the Opteron 185 and not having to buy a more expensive socket F motherboard, It would be the direction I would choose at this point in time. I know a lot of folks are going to jump in here and tell you to buy a Conroe instead but, I'm not going to do that because you seem to have your mind made up to build an AMD. In all fairness to your available choices the 185 gives you quite a bit for your money and is reasonably bulletproof.

Sincerely,
    theone

12. crowy

crowy Guest

chop2113,
    Rumour has it there is going to be some serious price cuts from AMD right across the range mid April....
    Might pay to wait a few weeks:)

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  14. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Good stuff stuff guys. Thanks i was definately leaning towards the quad core. Now i can go there with confidence. And yes i know that intel has good products. I believe though they got there through advertising. AMd i have yet to see them do a commercial. Before Intel amd was the top choice for gamers. I believe gameing puts the most stress on a system. So with that in mind it should be able to handle basic programs with ease. And im that type that always roots for the underdog. AMD is still able to hold its ground without advertising and that means alot to me. Im not one to "Follow the crowd" so to say. Once again thanks for Your advice. Since ive come on this site maybe a year now or less i have definatley gotten better at everything new that ive tried on my pc. I like the advice and the way its given here mature at times but all good.Congrats for running a good informative and helpful site. Thats hard to find nowadays. Keep up the good work...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

chop2113,
    Well, I built a Pentium D when everyone else was building AMDs, so it sounds like you're my kind of person. Very happy with it too I might add!LOL!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Best Regards,
    theone

16. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

ok one more question. i was putting together all the parts i need to build this pc so far im at about $2,000. One thing i cant find is a cpu cooler. do they not make on for the AMD FX-74? And will this be a problem with heat?Thanks In Advance.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

chop2113,
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think the FX-74 comes with a very good Heat Pipe cooler like some of the Opterons. I'll see what I can find out about it!
    EDIT:
    I did some hunting around and the FX-64 does come with it's own heatpipe cooler. Here's a little something that I came across on the net about the Dual FX-74s and the new nVidia chipset for it. Interesting reading!
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=911&cid=1

I keep hearing remarks of how the Quad-Core Intels blow this into the weeds, but when you get up to speeds like this, how fast can you blink!LOL!! I mean just how much difference is there going to be in encode times when processing files with DVDRB/CCE? This thing is not slow by any means!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  18. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Its because Intel is doing their price cuts around the same time

19. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

aabbccdd
    how does the Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Pentium D processor 930 featuring two processing cores; 3.0GHz compare to core duo.
    is it older than it? if so how old. thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Think cave man and round rock as compared to a Ferrari. Well, maybe not that drastic, but close. LOL The earlier dual core Intels couldn't compare to AMD's dual cores and now AMD isn't doing a good job competing with the current Core 2 Duo technology. So, though not very old in years, the older Intel dual cores are looked on as old tech.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.