1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I play Quake 1, 2, and Arena on occasion. I play some older games as well like Blake Stone and Delta Fource Extreme as well as Delta Fource 2. I also play some real old games like Donkey Kong Jr. and Centipede! I have about 50 Roms for my Colecovision emulator. Years ago I was a serious gamer but I've just lost interest. I can sit and watch other's play and enjoy and appreciate the talent it takes, but I just can't get into it anymore. Who knows, maybe I'll get the bug someday again. LOL!! Hey, I'm and old guy! I'de rather go Hang Gliding! LOL!!

I also do some pretty Heavy duty stuff with AutoCad 2004 that has custom software from the makers for my air turbine work. I do test simulations in real time to determine the limits of what I design and at what point they blow apart. Most are in the 400,000+ rpm range, so I still need a decent video card!

Happy computering,
    theone

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Is it 1.5volts slot?
    If it is Im running the Radeon 9600XT in my 4x 1.5volt slot cause the 9600XT runs at 0.8v and 1.5v which means it works in 8x and 4x slots.
    My motherboard is an IntelD815EFV Look it up and see if the slot is the same as urs if it is it will run a 9600 gurantee it.
    Well u may remember a few months back I tried using a 9200SE and it wouldnt work because it was only 8x as i got told by you guys and i went to crucial and told me a 9600SE would work so i figured se works so will the XT because they onjly stocked SE which the dont stock at all now.
    SO i took the PC to the store so if anything fries he pays LOL!, and he put a 400W micro ATX PSU,160gb 7200rpm Segate UDMA HDD,and the radeon 9600XT.
    I still have the 9200SE in the box wonder how much ebay would give me for it its perfectly like new in the box wraper and i put teh seals back on it has the manual,driver cd,Svideo-Composite. its the newer 9200SE 128mb AGP 8x.
    Im really supries that the frame rate stays that steady the lowest its gotten to is 26fps on the full 22 car grid each car on high detail after you start going it stays on 24-26 and then once you spread it just goes to the mid 40's around 42-51fps and sticks there. it drops to 36in the pits cause of the pit crew and around turns it stays 37-41fps all by far playable smoothly.
    Im suprised heaps that it could run it i thought it would just crash when I strated it.
    If i can run that game at that level what are spme otehr good looking games I could try?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dazila,
    Yes! It seems that all 4xs are not created equal! LOL! I bought one from Newegg about 3 years ago and was assured it would work. It didn't. They insisted that it would and sent me another and it wouldn't work either. I did find out that there are a couple of AGP 4x8x that will work that run both voltages. Unfortunately some of the 9600s don't work either. I had one and it doesn't. Don't remember which one though but I finally sold it in an AMD build a couple of years ago!

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

theonejrs
    Now who went and made that rule? Depending on fan configurations a hole in a case can be an intake or exhaust (as you found out).

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    Because of the difference in cfm between the 80mm in the front and the higher cfm 120mm in the back coupled with the PS exhaust, assures that there will always be airflow coming into the case because there will always be negative pressure inside the case which will draw air in. Here's a pic that will explain it! The air duct which has an adjustable cuff allows air to drawn in over a stock CPU cooler which is much lower than a 9500 or a Freezer 7.

[​IMG]

The rear fan and power supply fan pull more air out of the case than the 80mm front fan can push into into it so normally the air duct, the side vents and the rear vents will all draw air in to equalize the difference in pressure. By replacing the air duct with an exhaust fan, the rear, ps and side fans blowing out insure a decent air flow into the case through the vents. I'm sure that the reason for the different size and cfm fans to begin with. By turning the air duct into an exhaust, It increases the cool air flow in through the vents and exhausts more warm air from inside the case. It does seem to work very well. I may even send an e-mail to Cooler Master and see what they think!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

Unlucky.
    Ive seen another exact PC like this same specs at my cousins run a Radeon 9600Pro 128mb and works fine.
    I think a Radeon 9550 would work in a 1.5v slot also.
    Ive heard a Geforce 6600 runs fine in a 4x slot a Geforce 6800 is said to run but under a heavy load seems to have random crashes but mostly runs.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I think that duct on the side panel must be a cooler master exclusive. my CM mystique case had the same duct even though both my front and rear case fans are 120mm. I cut mine off flush with the mounting flange so I wouldn't have screw holes with no screws in them and to allow clearance for my cnps9500led.

like theonejrs, I could install an 80mm fan there if I so desired, mounting pattern is the same, but it isn't necessary on my rig. besides I don't want the extra fan noise or have to unhook the fan wires everytime I take the side panel off.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dazila,
    I even tried an nVidia XFX 5200 but it was the newer standard and didn't work either! The Dell Precision 420 was and still is a great computer with lots of features like a Raid card for both SCSI and the IDE drives, a full server MB and external SCSI. It was built like a tank and weighed in at over 55 lbs! The matching 19" Flatscreen (so called at the time) CRT was one of the best Dell ever made, and will support up to 1600x1200 resolution. If it ever breaks, I will get it repaired as the picture quality is outstanding, even by todays standards, with a .024 dot pitch. It also weighed in at over 50 lbs! I found the original invoice inside it and as configured it was close to 5 Grand! I don't remember exactly, but it was purchased new in December of 2002. I bought it a year and a half later for $165 and another $50 for the monitor. Best buy in a computer I ever made. I won't ever sell it and I'll never loan it out again. It could handle 4 IDEs and 4 10,000 rpm SCSI drives internally. 4 in an easily removable cage and 4 in the 3.5 internal bays. No one in their right mind would do a "snatch and run" with this thing as it is just too damn heavy! At 19"x17"x8" it's large too! Still has the original mouse and keyboard as well. That's Quality!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That's the strange thing, it's actually quieter with the extra fan because the CPU fan runs slower at about 200 rpm less than without it. Even when I'm encoding. The newer Arctic Freezer 7 Pros have an electronic speed control built in and it now never hits max speed! The added Thermaltake fan is only 27 cfm!

Even though both your fans are the same, it still has some negative pressure inside the case because of the added exhaust from the PS. Are there any holes in the side or the back of the case aside from the air duct?

Happy Computering,
    theone

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

I thought i was unlucky when the 9200 didnt work but you must be even more LOL!.
    I will find out what 9600 XT i have i think it might be powercolour but not sure I'm also thinking Saphire its one of them two I know but dont know which and where the box is LOL!.
    But i will find out.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I just leave my cnps9500led on high all the time so it would be noiser in my case. yes there is another vent below the duct opening.

[​IMG]

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

And the "screwing" continues!

Check out the price in this one. I think someone is trying to take advantage of the current popularity of socket 775 builds!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

That's outrageous as the Freezer 64 is the exact same cooler (I know, I have both) except for the mount, and it's only half the price at $29.95! To think I paid $17 for mine only about 5 months ago, and that included free shipping! And the screwing goes on! LOL!! Talk about price gouging! AMD better get their butts in gear and put an end to this madness! LOL! Maybe Intel gets a cut! LOL!!

The one

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what's up with neweggs website? I can't access their website half the time here lately. everythings else loads great.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Mort it always loads fine for me , check your Virse Scan program and see if its blocking it

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

theonejrs
    You guys wrote a chapter since I checked in yesterday.

I wish people would be more careful using the term negative pressure. No such beast unless you have a vacuum pump running and you get below atmospheric pressure. If you've got more fans exhausting than fans for intake flow, any openings will be intake unless you create a turbulence zone where one area is slightly higher, such as a fan on the CPU. That cone you removed is made to adjust down to the level of the HSF. If the opening is directly over the CPU, then the HSF is going to draw air in. It's not negative pressure, you just have another intake fan with a duct to the outside of the case. When you removed the horn the opening was then farther away from the HSF and effected more by case air flow than just the HSF flow. Like I said, any time you mess with openings and fans, see which way the air is flowing. ;) If you really wanted that vent to aid CPU cooling, you should have left the duct to the CPU and added the fan inline instead of removing it. The way it sounds, all you did with the fan before was manage to create some flow turbulence.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    You are correct. It's just easier for most people to understand because they can relate it to suction, rather than air flow caused by the fans exhausting more air than the input fan delivers which is what makes the static vents draw air in the first place. Airflow's version of the path of least resistance. I guess you would call that a pressure differential!
    That would also be correct. It messed with the airflow enough that it was actually not flowing air as efficiently through the CPU cooler. I didn't snap to the possible benefits of turning it into an exhaust fan at the time (isn't hindsight great). The duct was actually interfering because air was trying to escape at the same time the duct was trying to draw air into it. All making the fan exhaust did was smooth out the air flow and channel the trapped air out of the case while adding more airflow into the case through the static case vents which helps cool other things as well. one thing that's a fact is that everything runs much cooler and quieter than it did before, so I'm happy.

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

Anti VIrus aye...
    ANybody tried Norton 360 would love to know how it is, main reason to find out is it as resource gulging as its pre descesors?

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I can access it, but it moves slower than molasses on a cold mornin. Seems something is up with the egg site because others open a lot faster.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

maybe something to do with their new "eggspert" forums, I'm sure they had a flood of traffic since its start the last few days.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah the egg must have been having a traffic jam or server problems. it was p'ing me off yesterday. I could usually load the opening page but it stalled out when I tried to narrow my search. it's much better today. I don't have the fastest DSL or cable but mine is just a little over 2.5 mbps down. I even checked it yesterday to make sure it wasn't me. like I said everything else was loading great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.