1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    When I went to Newegg yesterday it was running like it was wading in fudge. The screen fills were taking forever. Looked like there was a little guy in there painting them, the screen writes were so slow.

dazila,
    I've been using CA Anti Virus for 3 years now and I've been very happy with it. Doesn't use a lot of resources. I renew it every 2 years for $29.95. Depending on where you look, it's one of the top selling ones and we've never had a virus. They've tried to get in but CAAV has caught it every time! Very easy to use too!

Happy computering,
    theone

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theonejrs,

I also use computer associates anti-virus. Mine is included free of charge through my ISP, AT&T Yahoo DSL. ;) I really like it. no virus problems yet (almost 3 years) period. I had mcafee before and this blows it away imo.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I have major problems with McAfee. Resource hog, impossible to get rid of, poor protection, have to pay... the list goes on.

I use AVG free and Zone Alarm Free and I've never had a virus. Very good IMO.

Back to hardware.

Did some fan adjustments and lost 4*C and I'm now running around 33-36*C idle and 44-48*C load in my Intel build. It helps that the Cooler Master Centurion is a fairly well ventilated case.

Now that I've gotten my cooling adjusted I'm going to push my P4 640 to 3.8GHz and see if it'll run stable. Maybe in the next few days...

BTW, that Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is what I have in my Intel build. Good cooling and fairly silent.

I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 in my AM2.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Wrll Folks,
    I'm batting 2 for 2 in the case fan mod department. Gina's new MB came today and I've presently got it running at 2.43GHz. With just the air duct in place, running at 1.80GHz The CPU temp was 36-38C with a stock Intel cooler. The MB was 38-39C. I did the fan mod, same as mine and am now encoding a DVD with DVDRB/CCE. CPU is at 42C, MB is at 34C at 2.43GHz. I have the memory running at 900MHz at 5-4-4-4 2T. Very dramatic decrease in temps all around. It's already more than 25% faster than my D-940.

Unfortunately the unlocked CPU was a phony deal. It seems you can raise the multiplier to whatever you want and confirm it. When it boots it sets it back to 9! Damn!!! Oh well we will just have to see what we can do with it! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

So you're not going to count the strike out when your first attempt added to the heating? ;)

What were the temps encoding before the added fan with the duct adjusted properly over the CPU?

What this tells me is there appears to be a serious flaw with air flow in your case of choice, if a reversed fan is causing such improvements in cooling. Instead of mods, I'd be looking for a case with better flow. Fortunately I've found what I'm looking for and don't have to play around with adding fans and trying to improve design flaws.

Can you post a picture of the inside of your PC so we can see what you're talking about?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    Opps! Forgot about that! LOL! Well then I'm only batting .666 then. LOL!

My roomie has a digital camera and I'll get him to take some and get them posted in a few days. No fair picking on me for the flat cables though. Gina knows she has to get some round ones.

I have a feeling that this model case has been around for a bit. Cooler master needs to upgrade their thinking. I sent them an e-mail about the mod! This case may have been great for the P3 days but this particular MB has hot chipset issues and now at least this one dosn't. I didn't encode anything before because I wasn't happy with the temps. It wasn't until I added the fan exhausting out of the case that the difference was apparent. That's what made me try the encode. The rock solid 34C for the MB to me, is outstanding while using RB/CCE.. CPU went up to 42C and never went over it. Cut 23 minutes off the same encode with my D-940. I like it!

Happy Computering,
    Theone

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Can someone explain to me what a CPU card is ive seen some a card with a cpu slot on it but how does it work out does it plug into your pci slot and use it in conjunction with your current cpu or?

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

WOOHOO some amd/ati newsquad fire possibly 32xfire hhmm.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

theonejrs
    Why not? When discussing flow in a case they're an important part of the discussion. Flat cables often act like a dam blocking good crossflow in a case. Who knows, round cables might cancel your claimed improvements with the fan mod.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

Anyone know what a cpu card is and how it is used?

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

WTF is a backplane board?
    LOL!
    Stuff it its more then likely something that was hyped and never took off.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Check the link. LOL

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

I did but first impression of teh site made me think CHEAP!.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

16. dazila

dazila Regular member

Dam that junk...
    1,350$...
    But whats the use you still need a full motherboard to use it dont you?
    to plug it in?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    Hey, when someone else is supplying the parts you have to work with you don't get to choose. She's going to replace them asap! I think that the MB is running so cool because of the very large NB heatsink. The fins are very thin!

It's currently doing a short prime run to check the temps at 3.06GHz and the CPU is 46C with a MB temp of 34C using a stock Intel cooler. Next up is a short OCCT run to see if it crashes. If it doesn't, I'll run Occt for 12 hours and see what it does. She has a Freezer 7 Pro to install when she gets it back! so the CPU temp should come down a bit more! I'll keep everyone posted and send some pics before the end of the week!

Beast Regards,
    Russ

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

orthos' small ftt test is much tougher and will realy test the cpu to its limits. i know i have said in the past that occt is as good as any but after testing this setup my opinion has changed. prime and occt both only just touched 40c on my setup at 3.3ghz(on 1.44v) orthos got it slightly higher hitting 44c after just under an hour then it spent the rest of the time going between 42 and 43c.

just my 2 cents but if it gets hotter it must be working it harder.

(room was always 21c)

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

what are they doing 2 peices of amd news in one day?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Room temp is presently 26C. CPU is 49C. MB is 35C! 16 min through a 30 min OCCT run!

P5N-E/E4300. I'm happy as I had no intention at leaving it any higher than this! not for someone who hasn't a clue when it comes to overclocking. When the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is installed the temps will come down a good 5-6C, I'm sure! I'm just not going to pull mine to find out. My temps are right on a par with Anandtech's results with the same MB and CPU with the stock Intel cooler! My MB temps are better though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.