1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

2. REAM

REAM Guest

its the proccessor, is it not?

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Here's the change. I've used Orthos, Prime, and OCCT. Orthos uses Prime code, and is more dual core oriented. OCCT does as well or better. I like the way it interfaces with Everest. It kicks both cores to max and holds them there. I've monitored systems and from start OCCT climbs quickly at full load. If the vCore settings are too high it heads to the danger zone without slowing down. So I don't see how another program could load the CPU more. Would you care to explain how Orthos could?

Don't get me wrong. Orthos is a good program. I haven't seen it outperforming OCCT though.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm a bit tired as it's been a long day. I've posted the benches in the Overclocking thread. Any comments will be welcomed. It's running OCCT at 100% CPU usage on both cores. If it survives the night I'll feel even better about it. I did a few things in my usual "Marches to a different Drummer" unconventional manner and I am quite pleased with the results. Hey, you don't know if you don't try!LOL!! My goal for Gina's computer was 3.00GHz and that's what it's running at! It is very fast! the OC is 66.67% which should be good for someone who knows nothing about overclocking and doesn't want any problems. I could have gone further but like I said I wanted 3.00GHz!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Forum Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

It appears to break one of the guidelines. 640 pixels is broader than "at most 500 pixels wide". Too bad it's an image of text and not text, 5 lines of text are allowed.

It's a good thing the sig police aren't on patrol. There's still a few infractions floating around, just ask theonejrs.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i can only base my opinion on my findings, orthos made my cpu get hotter which in my opinion makes it the better torture test. both it and occt showed up as running both cores at 100% yet occt didnt get it as hot.

i dont understand why this was the case, its just what i found with my setup.

the arctic freezer 7 pro should knock about 8c off the stock cooler and after 200+ hours it should drop another couple of c too when the paste has cured. its a shame that you havent put a 7 pro on it as i would of liked to know what the max you could get with it was as myself and sam have had such a different experiance with our setups.

you are right about your mobo, it is cooler than most unmoddified ones i have seen too. infact mine is only slightly cooler and it has a 60mm fan screwed on top of it now. mine tops out at 36/38c(deppending on room temp) after prolonged heavy load and idles at 32/34c.

can i ask which version of everest you are running as even the beta i tried couldn't correctly show my cpu temp. it reported it as 25c all the time. now on mine i have 2 mystry temps, 1 at 25c all the time and 1 at 40c all the time. both speedfan and everest show them only pc probe gets it right.

im running mine at 3ghz now as my 24/7 speed and only of i need to do some thing a bit quicker will i knock it up to 3.3ghz as the extra volts needed to gain that 300mhz isnt worth the heat it generates in my opinion.

anyway im wandering into another thread here so i will sign off for now.

take it easy.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PacMan777,
    Lost in Space, the one between my ears! LOL!!

Best,
    theonejrs

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    Can someone please explain to me how to validate Super Pi. I went to the listed URL and got an Apple OS site!

Thanking you in advance,
    theone

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/

thats the right url for that russ, can you have a look at my previous post as most of it was aimed at yourself as your playing with a setup much like my own, thanks.

edit

@pacman

which mobo and cpu do you have your zalman running on? i only ask as if its not a p5nesli with a e4300 then the comparisons are going to be quite usless. this will also be the case with the everest readings unless, of course, yours is another nf65i chipset.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Different board and processor. The discussion on software is relevant if your system doesn't have a flaw. The only thing we can't do is compare temps and then that's hard to do anyway. A system would have to be built with the same exact components and use the same BIOS settings and be kept at the same room temps. Too many variables except in a controlled situation. If someone wanted to give me a freezer I might compare it, but I'll stick with Zalman otherwise.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

not realy as my everest does not fully support my mobo chipset as it is still quite new, hence it not knowing that my cpu temp is not the one it reports. it also keeps asking me to send reports back to lavasoft about the c55 somthing or other.

as for it relevance of it im not sure, as different chipsets use different amounts of power which in turn creates different amounts of heat. nvidias corelogic has always been more power hungry and ran hotter than ati/intel/sis counterparts.

apples and apples yes, but its still like a washington red and a granny smith.

the biggest flaw in my system is the lack of software to fully utilise it :)

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Haven't heard from bigdk in a while..............must be playing wth his new fridge!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  14. crowy

crowy Guest

Phil,
    Prefer pink lady's!!................Apples are nice to though!!!ROFL!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  15. dazila

dazila Regular member

I need an oppinion would it be possible 4 me to play Sims 2 on my old Pentium III at a descent level?
    I posted 2 pages or 1 page backl images of it running Grand Prix 4 at a good rate and great graphics, anyways the specs are once again:
    -Intel Pentium III 933mhz Coppermine "EB" 256kb High Speed "L2" cache
    -512mb Pc133 SDRAM "50ns"
    -ATi Radeon 9600XT 256mb 128bit "DDR SDRAM"
    -160gb IDE ULTRA ATA 100 7200RPM HDD Segate Baracuda
    -20gb IDE ULTRA ATA 100 5400RPM HDD Segate St32001
    -Intel D815EFV Desktop Board
    -Samsung TS-H552B DVD Combo Drive

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/

they have a link that tests your pc to see if a game will run on it. you just need to find the game to see if it will run.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

A friend of a friend gave me an old p3 system to fix a few weeks ago with a blown psu.

They gave me $100 to replace the psu.They said they didn't care if the psu was new or secondhand as long as I fixed the pc.

I put a 300w psu in the comp that I had laying around and it worked perfectly.[​IMG]

So 14 days later I let them know the pc is fixed and they ask me to put some software on it for them.They say they will give me a block of beer for doing that.

Replug in the pc,turn on the switch at the psu and F*****G......BOOMBA!!!!!!!!![​IMG] Flash,bang,smoke,burning smell,dead pc!!!!![​IMG]

Now I don't want to buy a psu and put in,incase that does the same thing??What I can't work out is it blew one psu,then I put in another one and it works fine,then disconnect it then reconnect it and F*****G.......BOOMBA!!!WTF???[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the psu out of the case than start looking at the motherboard to see if it looks right. also do the sniff test to see if can smell burnt components on the motherboard.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ddp is right, a close visual inspection will show a lot when you know what you're looking for. To add to his suggestions, use a DVOM to check for a grounded circuit. Either you had a bad PSU, the system is grounded, or something caused a serious overload. I suspect something grounded the system, either a faulty PCB or something touching where it shouldn't.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

Been thinking about this so i went and took the 9600 out of the agp slot funny thing this slot dosent seem to have any keys at all its just a straight thorugh slot just like a Universal AGP but the PDF's on this motherboard say its AGP 4X 1.5V so WTF dosent it have keys in it.
    or is it a Universal slot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.