1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi Doc,

I see you're moving up the ranks again.

Well done on becoming a Junior member :)

2. docTY

docTY Regular member

LOL, why thank you BigDK~ :) it will take me a very long time to attain Addict status again, but, when i need that "fix"..i simply sign onto my other account and BAM, there is that addict status again~ hehe

hope all is well with you and your *cough cough PHASE cough cough* i envy you for that...however, to stay on topic, i will let everyone know right now that i MIGHT forsake my Phase change cooler and just use the money on Intel's new upcoming cpu, the Penryn 45nm process chip, 1333mhz bus, stock speeds tentatively being @ 3.33ghz Quad-core is the one i'm interested in, but there is a dual-core variant as well~ :)

i was just googling around last nite to stumble upon the specs for my newest "toy" once it's released. it is as follows:

Intel Yorkfield @ 3.33GHz/1333MHz FSB/12MB L2 cache - quad-core, 45nm (i believe it is still in pre-production phase at this point), along with the dual-core Intel offering based on this new production procedure it's very similar with the exception of 2 less cores and naturally 1/2 the L2 cache.

i'm really hoping my Evga mobo will be "up to date" in terms of BIOS revisions (compatibility) by the time the new cpu's are released; i'm planning on just swapping out my current E6600 cpu and putting a new one in and redoing my water cooling :)

have a good one

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL! I had no idea!

4. docTY

docTY Regular member

it's very easy to overlook/mistaken the two companies as being one and the same~ :) i think most people think that "AS" and "AC" are, attention to detail is where one would find the background~

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

docTY
    If you're going to toss that in the trash, point me to the dumpster so I can practice my diving. LOL If you want to sell it at an exceptional loss, let me know. ;)

6. crowy

crowy Guest

BigDK,
    How's that fridge going?

7. docTY

docTY Regular member

@PacMan777

i've never in my life ever "thrown away a cpu" for the sake of getting rid of it :) it's not so much a "one's man's treasure is another man's trash" analogy, but rather, i know exactly what i have put my components through and how they fare in terms of being pushed close or near the limit of them...

i happened to get an AWESOME binned E6600 (i bought it right when Core 2 duos were introduced last year)...so my particular chip, has not been "nerfed" at all like the newer batches that Intel are selling nowadays. i could more than likely sell it at a PREMIUM on ebay given that a potential enthusiast/buyer will know the stepping from the get go, no hidden tricks, but receive a very good overclocking chip that they can search the web to verify it's potential (aside from the proof i could provide them as to how far I personally took it if they have any doubts about it's OC'in prowess). :)

i think it's safe to assume that the newer batches by Intel these days are less overclocking-friendly compared to the past batches, it's been reported everywhere around the forums. i do know from personal experience that the 2nd E6600 i purchased for my father's build that went into my old Asus P5W-DH Deluxe i had was still fairly decent (bought early in 2007 from my supplier, but he had "older stock" that i chose to receive and have him ship to me, rather than the newer stock) i got lucky there~ :) my main intention was stability, rather than to see how far i could push it on air, but it's currently running @ 3.4ghz on Zalman 9700 cooling for 24/7 use...my dad almost NEVER turns off his computer LOL.

i'm looking forward to trying out the new cpu when it's available for purchase, i can't wait until the lower/cheaper models are introduced, i will just have to "settle" for the 3.33ghz model~ LOL

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Woh! Crack a joke and get a dissertation on the quality of early binned C2Ds over current models. Thanks, but as you said, that's well known around the forums. You could have just said you wanted a premium for your "used" CPU. LOL

9. docTY

docTY Regular member

i suppose MY idea of a "joke" isn't very funny on here~ LOL

i think my own sense of humor has been nerfed and i come across all wrong hehe.

can't win em' all :)

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL If that was a joke, you called that right. For morons like myself, the jokes have to be simple and have a punchline that a 5 year old can understand.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

see now that is what i was saying about you making this a much richer place with your knowledge.

i was under the impression that they were both made by arctic who in turn had different divsions for the different products.

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi Crowy.

Well its not quite as far as hoped.
    The water cooling parts have only just turned up, so will start to put them in over the weekend.
    The phase cooler is still not here.
    I had some changes made to the spec, I had the cooling arm made an extra 3" long and the LCD display cable had to be increased in length.
    Hopefully it will be here in a week or so.
    I'm also still awaiting the fan grills I want to come into stock, they are imported from the USA so could be a while for stockist to get them back in.
    Main system is configured and tested.
    Here is the case as is, but this also has another smaller case which it sits on (not in picture) this will hold the phase cooler.

[​IMG]

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I bet that puppy will be a big hit at the lan parties. ;)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I want one of those cases! LOL, where do you get them from? The only ones I can find or hand-made, or is yours?

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sammorrissss
    I've got an aluminium fuel tank that looks about that size. A few holes here and there, cut out the slots for the drives, use a HD drive cage or 2 (extras I've not used from other cases), I've got an extra window air conditioner I can bolt onto it for extra cooling. I can mount it permanently to the bed of a lorry and all I need are some long cables and I'll be the hit of all the lan parties.

Seriously though, that is a good looking case and definitely appears to be a good home for a performance system.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It's a Mountain Mods case.
    I got it on eBay for £80 loaded with fans and lights, those have been stripped down ready for future projects.
    I got my mate to spray it for me :)

This was what it was like when I got it :(
    [​IMG]

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch. £200 that's a lot for a case, I thought my £87 NZXT was a lot. Well, I may eventually end up getting one. I love how many 120mm fans you can have in it.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks large enough to install a small refrigeration unit inside. Compute and keep your drinks cold at the same time.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or large enough to provide awesome silent ventilation...
    Or large enough to use two motherboards...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.