1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    The answer to that is quite simple! Poverty!!! ROFL!! Going from a high 5 figure income to zilch pretty much overnight has that affect on people! LOL!

Seriously, I've always been a bit frugal. I grew up poor through no fault of my own and vowed to myself that life wouldn't always be that way. I saved my money and bought my first new car, a 66 Caddy Coupe Deville for cash! I lucked out completely by accident getting into the Medical/Dental Repair field back in 1968. I took to it and it took to me. I've been places that I had never dreamed of and visited 3 continents, all with someone else footing the bill! Nice work if you can get it! LOL!!

BTW! New GA-965P-DS3 Rev 1.33 showed up today. Many improvements including 6 stage power regulation and 1333 Quad core support. It has both optical and Coaxial SPDIF on the 1.33 The 1.33 doesn't even show on the GigaByte web site yet, it's so new. It's pretty much like the version 3.3 but with a few minor features missing like ALC888 audio. Don't let the specs on Newegg fool you as they have them reversed between the 2 revisions. If you look in the regular GA-965P-DS3 they are the ones for Ver. 1.33! All I need is the memory and the Video card and I'm ready to build! Another week or so!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well they are from dailytech so id guess so. they are in line with the first lot i posted the links to a while back so it seems the second lot were the bs ones.

i still want to see what the 2600 as i don't need to worry about powering a 30 inch screen (see what father chrismas brings me eh? :)) so the midrange cards will do me fine, for now.

im also guessing here but i think we must but close to release as it was only a week before the 86 came out that the same came kind of test were shown for them so fingers crossed people.

edit
    @sam mine hits 2.7k now too.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But didn't before? That's a weird issue. Can you see what effect running Speedfan and setting the speed to 0% has on your temperatures? It's not actually 0% of course, it ends up being 950rpm or so, but for me, that only increases the temps by a few degrees, and yet is much quieter.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

when i first put it on it was in and around 2400 but about a week or 2 later it started hitting 2700. i think 2742 is as fast as pc probe has said its got, but speedfan always gets the speed wrong at 100% it says 0rpm and it only says a speed at 50% but then it says 1350000rpm. its the same for my other fan on my nb acording to pc probe they hit 2700 and 4500 at full but i normally have them both at 45% which is around the level were the noise of my psu and gpu drown them out, although during the day you cant hear them at full speed over my kids.

at 100% i idle at 32c (30c if room is cool) at 45% its about 2c higher, i am now on 0% and will leave it for a bit and let you know how much higher (if any?) it gets.

edit

i have wondered before now if this hsf would cool a cpu without a fan mounted as others can, but never got around to testing it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I expect it would, the frameless 92mm fan can't push much air at 900rpm, so it not being there wouldn't be of much consequence. However, now that I have a fanless graphics card beneath it, playing games causes the CPU to get past 56-57C, and when that occurs, the screen keeps flashing bright white for a moment. Up the CPU fan speed and that's resolved. I was initially wary of my high graphics Voltage reg temperature, but I reckon the CPU doesn't like being that hot when overclocked.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    What's strange to me is my cooler fan never ran this slow until I installed the Thermaltake PS, yet the temps are a bit higher. If I shut it off for a few minutes the fan roars at 3000 RPM for about 45 seconds or so when I start it up again and then gradually settles in around 2600!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It just has some odd traits in that respect, the Freezer 7 Pro. I'm trying to think of ways that will provide suitable cooling and allow me to run my fans at low speed. One of them would be to move my PC into my other case. That case makes so much more sense from a silencing perspective, as it has the PSU at the bottom, away from the heat of the other components, a rear fan to remove heat from the GPU, and a massive top fan to remove heat from the CPU all separately. I figure I can set it up this way without causing too much trouble. Additionally, it means I can leave my cooler the current way round!

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well its nearly 3 hours later and it is still sat at 34c no change at all when compared to the 45% i normally run it at. im not sure how much higher it will go if i started playing stalker or encoding a vid but it made no change to my idle temp.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well play some STALKER then! Hehe, you don't need any excuses!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The only problem I could imagine would depend on the type of PSU you have. I don't know that I would want to put my Thermaltake on the bottom as it puts heat out the sides and into the case. That's what the clear plastic thing does, it directs some of the fan air out the sides of the PSU case. Extremely Quiet though! I put a Thermaltake Thunderblade 74 CFM fan in the old case so it should stay pretty cool with the D-940 in it. Looks pretty cool with the blue and red lights!

I put my CPU and Freezer 7 Pro on the new MB. Now I have to wait!!! Very nice MB by the way. Same exact pc board as the ver. 3.3. Same part #! has all the bells and whistles except the VRMs arent quite as heavy and no 8 channel sound. I think I'll die! ROFL!!! Case is all ready for the transplant too. Installed the stock Intel cooler and it's ready to have it's motherboard yanked and the new one installed at a moments notice! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's quiet from a general perspective, because the fan stays on low most of the time (it did with my X2, so thats 300W load it dealt with fine), but when all the heat from my CPU and to an extent my graphics card goes up into it, the fan spools very quickly, and then it gets very noisy. Additionally, I may have a slightly duff fan in this one, it just sounds too bad at idle for them all to be like that!

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Pushed my E6600 to 3.2GHz. I'm gonna leave it and see what temps I get. If it stays stable I might just leave it there. I OC for the performance boost, not the benchmark scores :)

I'm at about 35-40*C idle and about 45-50*C full load. Thinking that's a nice temp range?

EDIT: Got a 3D Mark 03 of 35485 with my 8800GTX vs approx.15000 with my X850XT and about 20000 with my X1800XT. I've seen it at about 30000 with an FX-62 so I reckon that sounds about right :p

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

your cpu has very little impact on a 3dmark score. from using a 3400+ oced to 2.4ghz to a core2duo at 3.3ghz only improved my scores by about 350 points in 3dmark 06 but the cpu score itself was more than three times higher.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

What's a decent score with 3D Mark 06. I ran it on Gina's and got 4267. I have no idea what that translates out to. I tried 06 on mine one time but the sundial quit working first and it looked like everything was wading in Fudge! I tried lighting a candle but that even made it harder to read what with all the flickering!! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I got an extra 120 marks from going from 2.6ghz to 3ghz. Overclocking my GPU however earned me an extra 900!

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Suprisingly Futuremark list the top scores etc... on their site:

[​IMG]

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

24,000! How on earth did they get that score?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    I could buy about 6 or 7 7600GTs for the price of the vid cards used in the top scores! LOL!

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But what would be the point? :p
    I was initially planning on getting an HD2900 card, but having seen the expected benchmarks, I'm not so interested any more. I can only hope the card is significantly better in a DirectX10 environment. Having finally silenced my X1900XT with a Thermalright heatsink, I now have a quiet PC, barring my Thermaltake Power supply. Granted, that problem is as much to do with how my PC's currently laid out as it is to do with the noise of the unit itself, but even at idle, the fan noise is distinctly audible over everything else. The HDDs in my PC are configured to auto-shutdown after 3 minutes. It's now such that when they spin back up again, the process is clearly audible from start to finish.

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you dig through the site you'll find the scores for the cards your looking at, you just need to look :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.