1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bad news for ati

drivers can take some of the blame but it should still out perform the xt :/

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad news or not, it's old news... The 2900 series has been a complete flop, and unless the performance is vastly improved in DirectX10, ATi had best design something else quickly, or they will rapidly be relegated to budget equipment only. I'm two-thirds sold on buying the next nVidia card, only half sold before seeing this article. When the 8900 gets released, I'll see what the scores are. If things look good, that's what I'll be buying.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well now the nda is lifted and we can see unbiased tests, i cant see nvidia being in a rush to superseed there top of the line cards as it would make little sense. they would only be making a small profit on the new cards and those already out would cost less making them less profit per unit.

the high end is only for bragging rights, i think its some of the other 10 cards ati are about to release that nvidia will be watching for.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I am honestly disappointed in AMD/ATi. I'm really glad I chose the nVidia/Intel route. I know I'm outperforming the top ATi/AMD systems for sure now :)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And it'll be that way for a while. Looks like it's time to go nVidia again.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam put your credit card back in your wallet.

after reading the link i posted above alot of other people who are still under a nda have said that those results a quite far of what they have seen. now i would guess this is down to the card that was tested being a model earlier in the production and as such it does not represent the perforance of the final product.

the main thing i see here is that the r600 and the 88gtx are being compared in what it can do with dx9 which is not the big selling point of these cards. im not looking for one that does great in dx9 i want some future proofing against dx10 and as such wont rush into buy one till they have been compaired againts each other in a dx10 title(s).

anyway i have read romurs we could hear somthing tomorrow and others saying the 26th, either way we still have no dx10 games to play.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If Directx10 performance is significantly better, I'll get one, but without a big DX10 increase, the weedy DX9 performance just doesn't sell it to me.

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

my score was only 22231 now i feel gutted thought it would be at the top :)

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Now it may just be my luck, but I've never received a DOA or defective part in my life. Either I've picked the right brands or I've just had some extreme luck.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unbelievable, I'm heading towards the 40 mark.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'd go with luck because if all the products were good, there'd be no need for a warranty. I've gotten a few name brand items that need a RMA.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

id go with luck too, out of the last dozen or so things i have bought for mine i have had to return 2 of them due to manufactoring faults

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Western Digital, Asus, Corsair, just to name a few brands I've had faulty components from.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,
    don't forget Benq!!
    Remember we both had issues with there dw1640 dvd burner.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never owned a Benq DVD burner, I bought the 40x20x10 CD writer a few years back, and had it fail both times. I don't class Benq as a reputable enough company to be surprised about something breaking. the others I do, however.

16. crowy

crowy Guest

I was half right!!

Some people swear by Benq!!I swear at them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well yeah. To be absolutely frank though, I had an Acer, and the replacement (that then failed) was a Benq. That's when I first realised they were the same company. The only companies I know that trade under two names with different named products are those that make cheap-ass stuff that goes wrong a lot.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Can one of you guys help me in my thread?
    Its called ATi Driver Problems!

19. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I could use a lil bit o help myself "motherboard fried??" is the thread! and intel RULES! heh

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I had a brand spankin new intel P4 northwood 3.4ghz 800fsb w/ ht cpu defective right out of the box. starmicro rma'd it no questions asked. it was on a brand new build and I went ahead and sent the asus P4P800SE into asus just to be on the safe side. they checked it over and updated the bios.

I've had excellent performance and dependability from benq dvdrw drives. I use my DW1650 almost every day and my DW1620 was still going strong when I sold it with my old pc and it still is. from my personal experience with benq dvdrw's I consider them one of the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.