1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You know, I'm beginning to wonder about Asus! I just put my new build together today and at the same speed 3.0GHz it's a good bit faster than I was able get out of the P5N-E, and I'm running my memory at 667MHz, with timings of 5-5-5-15 and 2t. The benchmarks are on the overclocking thread and all I can say, is this MB rocks! 32,431 MIPS, Memory Bandwidth of 6142 MB/s and a Multi Media of almost 185 thousand!

SuperPi 1M is 18.843s, Validation is 7EF9AB88. 32M is 17m 48s 547ms, Validation is F360EFAA. I did my very first sub 45 minute DVDRB/CCE today. 43 minutes to prepare, encode and re-build. Amazing. Do I recommend this motherboard? Dose a cat have an A$$? It only lacks firewire. If I need it, I'll buy a card! I have to see if there's a way to run it at 1t and I'm only using 2 sticks of 1GB cas4 G.Skill, DDR2/6400! Tomorrow's another day. I'm going to bed happy!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, good as the OC I achieved on my E4300 is, I really wish I had got the DS3 now for a number of reasons, but there you go!

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I wouldn't be a bit suprised if you were able to push that baby up to 3.4ghz or higher with that intel 965 chipset.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I know exactly what you mean. When I built the other one and I had all the problems, but still got it working nicely at 3.0GHz with around 28000 or so MIPS, I thought it was pretty good. My new one also runs at 3.0GHz and the memory is slower as I have it set 1:1 so the memory runs at 667MHz. 32,000+ MIPS!

A funny thing is that some of my unconventional thinking gave me about 2000 of those MIPS! Who in their right mind would go and tweak it all out and then add adjustments to the bios that are for some mild overclocking. It's called CIA-2 and it has 5 settings. Mine runs at the second setting perfectly. It will run at the third setting but it won't pass OCCT or Prime 95! 2000 MIPS is a lot to gain just by using a bios utility that wasn't meant for that purpose. Guess that makes me a "Why Not" person!

If you are thinking about a MB for a C2D. Look no farther! This baby smokes! And I don't even have all of it figured out yet. If I can figure out how to unlink the memory, I'll take it up to 800MHz and 1T and see what it can really do! Most enjoyable build I've had in years!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think its Ctrl and F1 in your bios to get your mem settings up.

hope it helps :)

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The P5N-E Sli is decent enough. But I was warned against the P5N-E I had picked out because of the onboard video limiting my overclocking.

I love my DS3 alot and it has really impressed me at how well it takes my overclock. Not too late to plunk down the money for one :)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    It took a bit of figuring on how to get Ctrl.F1 to work as it only works in the opening setup screen. So far I haven't determined a way to set the memory speed. Right now it's set at 2.50 and is running at 837MHz! That's as close as I can get it to 800MHz without lowering the FSB. no setting for 1T/2T either. I'm still happy as it runs great and it's fast!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Just a personal preference, but I like the 32 series boards from Asus. The P5N32(s) would be more to my liking than the P5N or the DS3. I've not used either but I've seen the specs. I've used the A8N32 SLI for a few AMD builds and it's a good board. Any one that's like minded and wants to try one, the Egg has some open boxes that make them more affordable. As for myself, I don't mind paying a little extra if I think the board is worth it. If you're going to do some serious OCing, the 32(s) are a good choice.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I'd bet you would have had just as good of results with an asus mobo with 965, 975, or even 680i chipset. from what I've read, I'm just not sold on the 650i chipset. that's just my opinion of course since I haven't had any hands on experience with one.

I'll bet you'll find your memory will perform better at 837mhz running 4:5 than it will at 667mhz running 1:1. it did on my buddys pc when we OC'ed it to 3.0ghz. he has a little different set up though. he has an E6600, asus P5W DH Deluxe, and corsair XMS2 PC2 6400C4 memory.

is your memory cas5 and the reason you are running the looser timings? I don't believe there is a 1T/2T setting with the intel chipsets.

PS: time to update your sig!

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Much to my surprise, the memory performs best at 667. The looser timings are for a fatter bandwidth as the memory is cas4. I'm going to leave it as is for a while and live with it for a few days at 667MHz and see how it goes. I'm pretty happy with it right now. It did SuperPi 1.5 in 17m 48s 547ms for 32M. Validation # F360EFAA, so it shows.

Yes, I do have to change my sig! LOL!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually as far as I know, the P5N-E doesn't have onboard video, so that shouldn't be an issue.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    After I got everything working properly, I went and set the memory timings the 4-4-4-12. Not a huge difference in benchmarks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still it does improve in some areas and drops off a bit in others. Still happy though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, I've got stable temps. So I'm leaving it at 3.2GHz.

I don't think I'm going to regret jumping on the 8800GTX even if the benchmarks are vastly improved on the 8900GTX.

It was the same way with my X1800XT. I could have easily gotten the X1900XTX but I didn't really see the need. I'm out for good performance but not bleeding-edge benchmarks.

Nice OC theone :p

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

which sandra are you using?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    I've been thinking about this since your post! Why don't they just document it in the manual? Although in my case I don't even have the correct manual for the v.1.33. At present there is none, although GigaByte has promised me one when they are available.

You are correct, it is Ctrl+F1. There is a bit of a disclaimer though. It only works at the setup opening screen so it's best if you do a Ctrl+F1 as soon as you enter the setup.

There are several major differences between the different revisions of this motherboard. Version 1.2 added Raid support and 6 phase power regulation. Version 1.3 adds a GigaByte sata controller to replace the troublesome JMicron one. It also adds video acceration with 3 settings in the setup. I'm sure that there are other differences as well that I haven't discovered yet. I won't hold my breath on getting the correct manual though! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've had 3 Gigabyte boards, none have listed the ctrl + F1 function.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I dunno either. I've never had the need to go directly in and adjust my memory. I don't intend to either. My memory runs some loose timings that allow for fluctuations. I just let it go on it's own.

Getting a 5-6-6-17 at stock specs so I dunno. Memory timings escape me.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Estuansis
    If you're not OCing and bench racing I wouldn't worry about it.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Would you post a few Sandra benches if you wouldn't mind. If you don't have 2007, I'll be happy to send it to you! I just want to compare since we are using the same MB but are running 2 different processors. I migh even learn something! LOL!!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'd be more than happy to.

Give me a little bit. I'm cleaning up my room lol...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.