1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

try using the newer sissoft xi

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sorry Double Post

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't know why we ever bothered to try and get on the same page with Sandra 2007. I thought the reason we were all going to use the same version was so we could all be compatible with each other! At least the version I use is compatible with the 2007 pay versions! XI has been a nightmare because it doesn't work on all platforms. It won't even install on this one. Twice it wouldn't even unpack itself and the one time it was successful at unpacking itself, it wouldn't install!

Estuansis,
    Don't worry about the "Decimation"! You'll come floating back to earth when you get your benchmark software straightened out! LOL!! If you check the voltage on your CPUZ you will see it's.080v and that won't run any processor I ever heard of, so something is messed up! My superPi is less than a second longer than yours at 17s 953ms, so I know they're reasonably close, performance wise. I would bet that at the same clock speed of 3.375 they would be extremely close! The difference would be your larger cache. I'm already over the Intel recommended voltage of 1.3525v at 1.40 and I'm not happy with what happens to the core temps if I go just one step higher! That's all right, I'll take the 87.5% overclock and consider it a success. It's still more than I expected or set as my original goal. It's been running all day in a 31 to 32C room and the temps stay reasonable. even when running OCCT.

Happy Computering
    theone

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Now that I look I see that the voltage on my CPU-Z is WAY too low.

Screw benchmarks for now. I'm going to clock it back down and re-assemble my system. I hope to god that my motherboard isn't funked up.

I might give it an Orthos torture test and see what's up. I haven't had any apparent stability issues so a faulty motherboard or CPU might be to blame.

I'll keep in touch with my AMD machine for now... *sigh*

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've tried several versions of Sisandra, and it keep saying I have a single core CPU not multi-core.
    Anyone seen this issue and know a way around it?
    If I run the test it only does a 50% test.

I don't normally use SiSoft but thought I'd give it a go.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if everyone uses different versions all comparisons are usless.

russ it sounds like the version of xi you downloaded was currupted durring the download.

the latest stable release worked fine on mine?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    This has been an ongoing problem for a couple of months now. I've downloaded it on all 4 computers in the house. It works on the 2 Dells (420WS and the laptop), but not on the 4000+ or my C2D. It doesn't find temperature sensors on either Dell (no environmental variables)!

On the other hand, Everest Ultimate Edition 2007 finds them all, and is very accurate and shows the same temps as the PC Health in the setup.

BTW! How do you like my new Avatar? Had to put the SpaceShip in the shop for it's light year overhaul! LOL!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a sweet logo, and is what prompted me to put an image in my signature, this reflects my current favourite PC company with its silent PC ethic - their website is http://www.stopthenoise.com - need I say more?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The Nexus logo is very classy. Simple, yet ellegent!

I found the limit of mu CPU! 3.393GHz with a 377x9fsb=1508. Anything from 378MHz up just gets you a black screen and no Post! I've settled on 3.275 as my everyday running speed. It seems to run the best there and survives long OCCT and Prime95 runs. I've tried all different kinds of multipliers but 9x works the best on this MB. Maybe future bios revisions will eliminate the "Black Holes"! I have to say that I am very impressed with this motherboard although I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get into the 4GHz club like I did with the D-940.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

So it looks as though SiSandra is basically a pile of crap that give a hit or miss chance of working then?

Time to remove it.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I think so.
    Lol@Russ, 4Ghz? Not forgetting this CPU started at barely more than half the clock speed of your last one, so to reach 80% of where you got to is quite some achievement. Amazing thing is, 4Ghz probably is possible with the E4300, you just need some insane cooling.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I happen to really like Sandra. then again I've got sandra pro business. the free versions aren't that great compared to pro. kinda like comparing the free versions of everest to everest ultimate edition.

13. docTY

docTY Regular member

that's quite a good analogy Mort81 :) it seems with MOST software programs, the "pro" versions offer a bit more for the users that choose to use them...ie. dvd-rb pro is another example where the cost justifies the program and feature set.

sandra works well for you and i (i wonder why? hehe), but seemingly she's a bi7ch for others; can't win em' all, oh well~ LOL :)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

how right you are doc. that's true with all software I suppose. more examples I personally have besides rebuilder pro and sandra pro are XP pro and dvdremake pro. I'm sure you have even more.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Checked it out on my motherboard. Something I guess was a voltage regulator(capacitor?... dunno) was smoking. It was delivering the right voltage when I checked it with my probe, but it was smoking. The faulty part must be to blame for my bad voltage read in CPU-Z.

Thank god someone pointed it out before it lead to trouble. I'd much rather replace a $130 motherboard than a $250 CPU. Know what I mean? I'm ordering the same board. The GA-965P-DS3 is a kickin' piece of hardware and I won't let one bad board turn me off to the product.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Holy crap, well spotted mate!

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

CPU checks out all right in my friends build so I'm good on that.

Looks like my perfect product streak died at 30+ parts :)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry to hear that Estuansis, I would say unlucky, but then again you really weren't up until now!

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I was always told smoke is the most important part of any component. Once the smoke escapes, the part never seems to work right again. ;)

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Better yet, thank God you posted the CPUZ. It wasn't on either of the benchmarks! I almost missed it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.