1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You mean you're holding off on getting a Core 2 because DFI don't make a board for it that's up to scratch? That's absurd!
    If this ever comes out it may be worth looking into:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136035
    DFI do make 975X and 965P boards, but the reviews don't look too favourable!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Got 11006.

You could be getting score higher than that methinks. I've seen 'em hit 7500 in some systems.

I think the 8800GTX wins though lol.

I was using the nVidia temp monitor.

http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=2325

And I wish I had seen the AC3 edition. I would gladly trade the one I have now for the better cooling. Though I have no plans to OC.

Once again software fails me and hardware gets me back in line. lol Used my LED probe and indeed I found it to hit 78*C when I ran 3DMark06.(now I'm disappointed)

I can't really explain the low idle temps. I can only guess I found a good cooling median and I can also thank my chilly basement room.

I only recently had a temp spike in 90*F mweather with the heat on and my room at 80*

Hopefully the Ceramique will cure soon and bring it down to 75*C. But I've seen them operate normally at 90*C so I guess I won't worry unless it spikes.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

my 3Dmark06
    sm2 4800
    sm3 4845
    cpu 2161

just basic settings lol no overclocking

there may be something to overclocking after all
    but i think i'll just keep updating as the new stuff comes out
    I wonder what score docty would have got with just one 8800 so as to have something to compare the bonus of having two cards in sli

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

10,000-11,000 seems to be about the going rate for 8800GTX cards so when i saw 16,000 I was taken aback.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I think docTY is running 2 of them in SLI, not a single 8800GTX.

Clock On,
    Russ

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,
    thanks for that link.
    I'll wait to see some reviews but you got me a bit interested again.

I've had so much fun with this lanparty board.

It's been solid since day 1

If a product gives me good service, I'll buy again.

I'd buy an ecs board tommorrow with the run I've had from my K7S5A.

Benq never again.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    Sounds like me when it comes to Chevys. Most I've ever had were crap. I'm a Ford man all the way! They handle better and are good for 300,000 miles if you take care of them. I did a lot of driving in the boondocks of Texas at 100+MPH. The Chevys couldn't take it while the Fords just kept on running.

I had a "situation" one time where a cam lobe wore off a Malibu Classic Wagon (company Car) and Chevrolet didn't want to repair it under warranty because they said I abused it. I had to get pretty loud and say things like "it's funny I never had any problems with my Fords under the same conditions"! Loud enough that they fixed it just to get me out of the showroom! LOL!!!

Guess that makes me a Ford fanboy!

Clock On,
    theone

8. crowy

crowy Guest

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

And I thought it was a Mercedes cause of the way it bends! It does look decidedly second handed though! Glad the Wife was OK!

Clock On,
    Russ

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Not doing too bad here. I got my idle to even out at 48*C on my video card now that I've had it running 24/7.

I love my fast computer! I refuse to use another a slow computer for as long as I live!

On another note. I had to do a bunch of parts replacements since my idiot friend didn't ask my advice. He overclocked his 2GHz Northwood to 3.2GHz and burnt it up along with his PSU, motherboard, and RAM lol!

I made a pretty penny off him :p

EDIT: He's one of those less informed(tech retarded) people who still looks at clock speeds for processor speed. He's still convinced that his 3.46GHz Celeron D is way faster than my Core 2 Duo. LMAO!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    He's right! His is so fast it went up in smoke! ROFLMAO

Clock On,
    theone

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I told him a thousand times to ask me first before he did ANYTHING to his computer. Then I got dumb and told him how to access his BIOS and OC. I even warned him beforehand not to do it with his Pentium 4 because he had no real experience or any idea what he was actually changing.

He assumed that proper cooling was just cautionary rubbish and overheating happened only very rarely in worst case scenarios.

Same night he calls me up saying his computer stopped working. So I head over and pull it apart. ZIF socket, RAM slots, PSU. All literally MELTED! I couldn't even remove the CPU or RAM. The plastic parts welded right to them. RAM chips melted, PCBs absolutely WARPED.

I'm honestly surprised that it didn't shut down right away. But it's too late to find out what happened.

His parents forked up $600 for a new rig and offered me $150 to build it(hell yeah!) I ripped them off big time but he's gonna end up paying it off. That'll show him to ignore me!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You opportunistic so and so. That'll teach him though, and you probably charged no more than a proper establishment would, so are you technically ripping him off? Ask him, if his Celeron is so much faster, why did it cost so much less?

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Estuansis,

what are you going to put in his new rig? C2D?

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, I don't know if I can build a decent Core 2 Duo on that budget.

Maybe an A64 4000+ with an X1950GT. A nice quick rig just inside the price range(full system for appx. $575 with tax.)

I know I'm looking forward to DDR3 RAM(keep saving up.) I heard there was a possibility of 2GHz on some of the faster stuff:)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol I've just noticed Estuansis, do you run your 8800gtx with a 17" monitor? that's criminal!

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

well lets see:

AMD X2 4000+ 2.1ghz $100.00

intel E4400 2.0ghz $140.00

2 x 512gb corsair XMS DDR 400C2 $121.00

2 x 512gb corsair XMS2 DDR2 800C4 $69.00

OR

2 x 1gb corsair XMS DDR 400C2 $156.00 after $40 mir

2 x 1gb corsair XMS2 DDR2 800C4 $97.00 after $40 mir

comparable prices for either on a mobo.

you'll need a new PSU either way.

you'll need 1 or 2 new hdd's either way.

you'll need a GPU either way.

you can use his old optical drives and case or if he wants a new case that cost will be there with either build.

if you plan to OC you'll need an aftermarket CPU HSF either way.

the way I see it since the DDR2 memory is cheaper now than the DDR memory it will cancel out the additional cost of the intel C2D CPU. we both know the Intel E4400 will outperform the AMD X2 4000+.

if you were planning on using DDR2 memory for the AMD build then it would only cost $40 more to go with the intel E4400 unless of course you're talking about an AMD 4000+ single core which is only about $10 cheaper. regardless I would convince his parents of the benefits to spending $40 or $50 more.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis said:
    sammorris said:
    You guys are selling yourselves real short! I make between $300 and $500 on every customer build I do, depending on what they want and what their needs are. I don't even advertise, just word of mouth and I'm up to about 6 a month now. They all know the systems I build are good and contain good components and everyone I build gets me more work in the future. I still do systems for free for friends and such but my customers are all happy and I've had several customers I've build more than 1 for. I get all their upgrade business as well. Raid1 mirror is a hot item right now. I make $50 to $75 on each one I do. No business should be without it

They have all learned the hard way that the cheap bargain computers they sell at Fry's, Wal Mart and $499 Dells aren't the answer to their needs. Making $150 on a build is not a lot of money for all the work involved!

Clock On,
    Russ

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys i have been out of the game for a bit with work and all. but i have been looking at parts again for my soon to be first build. ive noticed the C2D now has a E4300.. is this a smaller version of the E6000 series? just curious here

20. redice

redice Regular member

does anybody know where i can find a amd socket 939 retail processor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.