1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cincyrob,

the E4300 and E4400 have been out for some time. the main differences are that they are 800 fsb as opposed 1066 fsb with E6300 and E6400. these all only have 2M L2 cache as opposed to 4M L2 cache with the E6600 and up. the 4000 series are good OC'ers due to their lower fsb. intel now offers the E6320 and E6420 which also have 4M L2 cache.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@mort81

so than for someone like me that isnt really gonna do much with it other than burn movies and make cd's and such simple stuff like that the E4300/4400 is all i really need. i know i dont need the 1066fsbso the 4300 is cheaper.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I use my E4300 for the same things as you. My DVD Rebuilder/CCE times are usually under 45 minutes. Here's my set up.

GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 v1.33
    Intel E4300 1.8GHz @3.275GHz (82% OC)
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skil PC26400 Cas4 2x1GB
    Thermaltake TR-2 500 Watt PS
    Seagate Sata 3.0 160GB
    XFX 7600GT 256 DDR3
    Asus 16x DVD-Rom
    NEC OPtiarc 16x DVDRW
    Cooler Master Cavalier case - Silver

I was very careful in my selection of components and asked around to folks with more experience than me with C2Ds. Everything I listed above is good high quality, better than average components. It was the easiest build of my life. No problems and it's fast. A good deal faster than the D-940 it replaced. Not the fastest, but I don't game much so it's more than fast enough for me.

The motherboard comes with HD Audio which has to be heard to be believed. I retired my Sound Blaster Live! Plugged the Coax into the SPDIF out on the MB and the SPDIF in on my Sony and it's awsome sounding. I use Power DVD 7 and you truely get the theater sound experience.

If you have any questions about my choices or tweaks, just drop me a PM and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

EDIT TO ALL:
    Anyone with a Silver case that wants to go through the trouble of having a Silver floppy drive, since no one seems to make one, (I did) Get Dupli-Color #8800910 Arctic Silver(M) Part #26916 80910. What can I say, I'm fussy!

Just carefully remove the 3 plastic parts being careful not to lose the spring for the door flap. Wash carefully and paint. The push-button can be mounted on a bent paper clip to paint. Be sure to shake the can vigorously for about 2 minutes and keep shaking it between sprays. About 4 light coats does a fine job. I'll send some pics when my roomie gets back from out of town! Looks nice and very professional!

Clock On,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's an interesting one, Silver floppy drives were available when I bought my PC last year (because I remember accidentally selecting one).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    All you can find these days is "Generic" Silver plastic parts kits for ridiculous prices that may or may not fit. That's all I've been able to find on the net! I'll post a pic when Russell gets back. It really looks nice. I guess since floppies are long dead, it isn't worth the bother and expense. I'm just a fussy SOB. I like for things to be just so! I still need one because I do several transfers of data to CD every year for customers and it's good money, so I need it. I even have a Teac Dual drive with both 5.25 and 3.50 on it but it's just too ugly and old fashioned looking for my tastes! Damn things cost about $45 these days, So I'm not about to throw it away. I still come across data that needs to be transfered from 5.25s to CD. maybe once or twice a year so it's not worth selling and it's paid for itself many times over.

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My floppy drive is installed in my case but hasn't been connected for months, I've enough cabling issues as it is lol.

7. mualpha

mualpha Member

I don't know much about computers, but when I bought a new computer recently I was told (by a someone who builds computers) that Intel was the way to go. So far I have not had any trouble with my P4 and am very impressed with its functionality.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

it was good advice. both are good but Intel is king for the time being. AMD will be back in the ballgame soon though

good to see you guys haven't posted much in here as of late so HI everyone!

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

About my 17inch screen... I love my Sceptre Naga and I'll thank you not to put it down :p

I've already talked to my friend's parents and from what they told me the $600 was the budget they set up with him. So unless he can do some sweet-talking that's the budget I'm looking at.

And for the $150 build price... I'm getting paid to have fun. I won't complain :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well kiddies,
    Here's my silver drive project. Turned out pretty good. Considering the drive is about 5 years old, I think it looks very nice indeed!

[​IMG]

One of the blanks above the drives is where I'm going to drill a hole for the Potentiometer for the Silverstone Fan Control.

Clock On,
    theone

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Plus there is no cost for the os as the old coa can be transfered to the new computer!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,
    Hey Dude,
    How the heck are you!
    I have the Student Edition of XP Pro which is legal to copy. I could send it through MegaUpload. It's the full XP-Pro and it authenticates itself automaticly when it does the Windows Genuine bit. Comes with special Serial # for this addition and all! You can even give him a legal copy!

Clock On,
    theone

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My uncle got me a copy of XP Pro Corporate SP2(what I'm using) and it has unlimited uses and auto authentication. I'm not worried there :)

That Pentium D barebones looks nice but I'd rather hunt down a better deal. If I'm not mistaken, the A64 3800+ and 4000+ will kick it's butt. No advice needed guys, I'm a bargain hunter by nature. And newegg has always had the best deals :p

I'm looking at a Core 2 Duo build. Maybe the e6300.

E4300
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    2x1GB Kingston Value DDR2 667($64.00/Customer Choice)
    Radeon X1900GT 256MB
    Old Sony DVD-RW drive I have laying around
    Seagate Barracuda 120 or 160GB
    Coolermaster Centurion(maybe)
    Hiper 580W(awesome PSU)

I'ma check prices and get back to you guys.

EDIT:

Went through and comes out to almost exactly $600 with tax.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Per core, a 3800+ and 4000+ may be somewhat faster, but if I had those two options only I'd go with the Pentium D, simply because I know what a differene a dual core makes.
    That build looks very good for the money, I say go with it.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Nope! I have both right here and the D-940 will stomp all over the 4000+, both stock and OC'd! That's the main reason I posted the tigerdirect link! Use the money dif to put a better video card and PS and he's got a good machine. Sell the pieces you don't use and increase your profits! LOL!! My roomie loves my old D-940 which replaced the 4000+. both are in very good MBs, BioStar TForce 939 for the 4000+ and Asus P5P800 SE for the D-940 w/1GB memory. The 4000+ while a great performer for a single core, doesn't come close to the performance of the D-940!

UPDATE! I just ran Sandra 2007 Pro on both computers which are stock. The D-940 does 14,400 MIPS @3.2GHz while the 4000+ does 8,770 @2.4GHz!
    News Bulliten: Dual Cores always win! LOL!! (Just funnin)

Clock On,
    theone

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,
    No grasshoppers or masters here! Just old friends, new friends and folks willing to give their time and experience to better the cause of top notch computing and lots of fun for all! I for one am proud to be a part of it all!

Hey! Watch that "Clock On"! I stole that fair and square from marsey99! ROFL!! Have a good day both AMD and Intel fans and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just have fun and remember always:

Clock On,
    theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We're all entitled to our support of a product, but the subjective opinion here is that a D940 will be a better PC than a 4000+. In single threaded apps, a D940 can probably only compete with a 3000+, but given that it's a dual core, no compromise. Comparing my 4200+ and my significantly faster 3Ghz E4300, the numbers go up, and it's slightly more responsive, but they're both equally satisfying to use. I couldn't really say the same of a single core even if it was an FX-57.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.