1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sam

i agree with russ, i would return it too. of all the issues other have had and reported the only thing with mine has been the oc profile thing where it wont boot with settings i know work if its saved to the profile. its worth a shot in my mind, just tell them that you need to keep setting the bios back every few days so it will boot.

2. docTY

docTY Regular member

@theone

i've run my own G.Skill set @ 2.4v MAX, but what it boils down to is what model sticks you have...my own F2-8500PHU2-2GBHZ (1GB x 2) is rated @ 2.4v at aggressive PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) 4-4-4-5 timings.

many of the DDR2 pc-6400 series, G.Skill recommends only 2.0-2.1volts, which is true with their "HK" series as well as their "HU" series which is what i assume you have? can you confirm which model set you actually have? i'm guessing it's the F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (1GB x 2) with the black heatspreaders?

the G.Skill with either the blue or the orange heatspreaders (models: "PQ" or "MQ" respectively) USUALLY require less voltage to run @ specs, 1.8v-1.9v for the majority of them. or the exception of the F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK (1GB x 2) model which has a light blue heatspreader, these are rated to be 1.9v-2.0v @ 4-4-4-12 :)

a lot of G.Skill's memory use the highly favored Micron chips, but it depends from series to series and from which batch they were produced in and when...

on my own high end memory kits, i've personally found at least with my various rigs. that running at tigher timings (ie. CAS3) at a slower speed results in faster response/quicker application loading compared to high bandwidth @ CAS5 timings, it might vary from one person to the next, but for ME, i prefer to run @800mhz with 3-4-3-9 compared to @1150mhz-1200mhz with 5-5-5-15. sandra benchmarks usually show the ultra high bandwidth "winning" over that of the lesser bandwidth at tighter timings because the sheer speed and bandwidth triumphs over that of very tight timings.

i use mainly the Corsair Dominators at this point (ie. the PC2-9136 kit) and i have a TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF kit coming next week, it's a shame that memory prices have dropped SOOOOOO significantly lately and i do regret paying a premium less than a year ago (almost double in price) just to try them out. oh well, i'm not going to be buying ANY more memory until DDR3 comes out and then a diff. platform altogether will be in the works...

bottom line, find the speed and ratings that work BEST FOR YOU and your use of the computer, given the components you have to work with...tweaking RAM and finding that "sweet spot" is much more time consuming for me than just overclocking my cpu, gpu(s); and with so many more "numbers" to deal with, it can get confusing real fast sorting out the CAS, TRDC, TRP, TRAS, TRRD, etc. :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

docTY,
    I have the F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK (1GB x 2). Very good memory by the way and thank you for the advice on it.

In addition to the afore-mentioned 5-5-5-15, the other settings are:
    tRRD=3
    Rank Write to Read Delay=3
    Write to Precharge Delay=Auto
    Refresh to ACT Delay=0
    Read to Precharge Delay=3
    Memory Performance Enhance=Turbo (Normal - Fast - Turbo)

I'm a bit unsure about these so I'll see what you think.

My XFX 7600GT is set to 653 core and 1600 memory. Everything seems to be running good and as you can see my memory bandwidth widened a good bit.

BTW! Your DDR3 is out!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145182

Thanking you in Advance,
    theone

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. docTY

docTY Regular member

@theone

LOL

with those CAS9 specs, no thanks! hahahha

Tech Spec
    Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    Cas Latency 9
    Timing 9-9-9-24

i figure when a DDR3 compatible mobo that is tested and receives positive feedback across the board is out for awhile, i might consider it later :)

as to your set of G.Skills, you got the "better" kit out of the various series for PC2-6400, when overclocking RAM, usually by loosening the CAS by "1" some of the memory modules can maintain the other timings from the rated spec, sometimes not, it all depends on the binning.

but as to what you should run them at, i think your settings right now are just fine, since you stated it's stable with these timings, will your system boot @ 5-4-4-12 with your 2.50 multi setting? or you may want to try 5-4-5-(12/15/18)...the Gigabyte mobo you have i have no personal experience with, so i'm not sure how it reacts to memory timing specifics using that particular kit of G.Skills...

when i overclock or underclock my own RAM, it's a true test of patience as you can imagine how many reboots or BSOD's i go thru to find the right balance with the timings...i no longer spend too much time fine tuning my memory because it's such a laborious and painstaking process, but you can try some of the timings i mentioned above if you have time or feel up to the task :) good luck

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

docTY,
    One of the "Perks" with the GA-965P-DS3 v1.33 is that it won't allow BSODs caused by incorrect settings. It will cycle off the PS and come back on again rapidly beeping the case speaker. Used to be a pain as I had been shutting down the PS and pulling the plug as someone suggested to me to do. I've since found out that all it takes is to press the reset button while it's beeping and it will re-set the bios to stock CPU speed as detected. Very nice feature indeed!

Still, I don't think I could gain enough with it at this point to make it worth the time and effort as you are right, it is painstaking and sometimes frustrating work. I think I've gotten just about all I can get out of my particular set-up. Thanks to you, Mort81, BigDK, marsey99, sammorris and a few others I have a very nice machine that has met and exceeded my goals and expectations. I guess, the best thing about the way it runs is it's consistency. Turn it on, do whatever work, play games or whatever and there's no surprises. It's fast and quiet and has a great feel to it, if you know what I mean! In many ways a lot like my old D-940 but twice as fast. A very comfortable computer to work with.

If I forgot to thank someone, it was not intentional. I do forget things from time to time. Either old age or my long hair, I'm not sure! LOL!! Anyway, I thank you all for your help and advice.

Clock On,
    theone

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Another thing I have to return? If only you knew how much has gone wrong in the past few months. My Spec is where I currently am, here's where I want to be:

E6600/Q6600/K8L (If they turn out to be any good)
    8800GTX/8900 series (as above)
    GA-965P-DS3
    Thermalright Ultra 120
    500GB Samsung as OS drive

The WD5000s seemed good at first, but after having had one RMA'ed, and then reading a review of them suggesting the firmware was glitched, I'm not quite so sure. They're quiet and quite fast, but the Samsungs seem to go from strength to strength.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    With me, it was the self doubt that I might just well be past it after the second MB went south! When I finally got things to run right with the third P5N-E I felt a little better, But my present machine was my vindication of that self doubt. It does, however make you start talking to yourself! LOL!! If you start answering yourself.....Well....... Straight Jacket Time!! ROFL!! Sometimes changing directions in mid-stream helps! Did wonders for me!

Clock On,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Until I replace my current set, I do all my computer work with non-magnetised screwdrivers, do you know how much that makes me shout to myself? lol

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

docTY,
    I said what the hey, and tried 5-4-4-12. Works fine! Ran Prime95 all night with no errors. The memory bandwidth goes up a little bit so now it's 6747MB/s. Seems a tad more snappy. The other benches are marginally faster as well. Not enough change to bother posting them. I think at this point it's as good as it can be. After all the "adventures" with the P5N-E and three motherboards, it's a pleasant reward! Thanks again!

sammorris,
    I had a guy yell at me for using magnetized screwdrivers near his computer years ago. He was afraid I would harm his hard drive. I took out a blank floppy and formated it and then dragged the screwdriver tip all over it. Then I copied some files to it. Talk about someone wanting to kick himself! He looked like I'd punched him in the stomach! Someone had told him that if he used magnetized screwdrivers near it would ruin his computer! LOL!! Then again, he also had been told that they would ruin a CD too! ROFLMAO!!

Clock On,
    theone

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ROFLMAO indeed, can you say 'scare story'? :)
    Grats on the new & improved overclock. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, and once my exams are over get a GA-965P-DS3.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Thanks! Just be sure if you do get the GA-965P-DS3, you get v1.33. Right now it's cheaper than the older version and has considerable improvements over it. The HD audio is awesome!

I may be getting a break real soon as I have a customer that wants my computer. Not one just like it, but mine! If the deal goes through. I gave him a price of $1000 (USD), but minus the silver Floppy drive. If he buys it, I'll use the 4000+ until I can build another the same as this one only with an E4400. Should be able to hit 3.0GHz with it at a slightly lower fsb of 1440 vs 1456. Who knows, it may well run a 1456 fsb like the 4300 does, and that would be 3.64GHz.

He brought over some games and played them for about an hour. I just left him alone to play. When he was done, he simply said, "I want it"! I started asking him about various components and he said "No, I want this one"! He comes up with the Grand, it's his! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone

12. REAM

REAM Guest

how much does it actaully cost?

and does that come with all the keyboard and mouse and montior, or just the tower?

casu £500 for your spec seems brillaint.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't forget PCs don't quite work like that in the US. A PC worth $1000 in the US is actually worth £700+ in our country because the tech is so overpriced. Unfortunately you can't internationally ship much these days, or else I would have!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

REAM,
    Console, keyboard and mouse only! Monitor is on him!
    I can replace everything as is with a 4400 for under $800 Including Tax and shipping from Newegg!

sammorris,
    Believe me I looked into it and you can't even send it as a Birthday Present or I would have sent you some "things" for your Birthday! LOL!! You can't even send old used parts without having to pay! That totally sucks!

Clock On,
    theone

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm glad you see my point :) It's not going to outstrip a dual core but it is the faster clock for clock performer in some cases. If I had to rate the D940 it would match an X2 3800+/4200+ or a 3200+/3500+.

Looking at that DDR3 1333 CL9... Kind if a far cry from the DDR2 1066 with a CL of 4 isn't it? The benches better prove its usefulness or I'm saving my money.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes indeed. Russ, only the second quote was mine btw.

17. docTY

docTY Regular member

@theone

no worries, i've spent SOOOO much time messing with at least a DOZEN different sets of DDR2 (ranging from pc2-6400 all the way up to pc2-9600 kits and everything in between with CAS3, CAS4, and CAS5 timings LOL) to have timings down pretty well, it's obviously different from batch to batch and depending on the mobo used, it can vary...but the basic principle remains the same...G.Skill memory kits are made well enough that i've found MOST OF THE TIME, they have more agressive timings than the Corsair/OCZ/Mushkin/Kingston equivalents that i've tried...that was the reason i recommended the G.Skill brand to you, based on my testing/experiences with a few of their kits :) they can stand to overclock just as high as the more popular Corsair XMS2/Dominator kits that most people opt for, and for LESS too! which is a reward in and of itself.

congrats on the possible sale of your current rig., never hurts to make a lil money and build yourself a FASTER machine in the near future.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yeah, I changed it! Sorry bout that! My apologies to REAM as well!

docTY,
    That's why when you don't know, ask! Saves both money and a red face! LOL!! I asked for your opinion because I had seen so many people using G.Skill in all the DS3s with success. I figured with all your testing, somewheres along the way you just might have tried G.Skill. The Micron chips make it a big plus as well.
    I look at it this way, if it sells, it sells! If it doesn't, I'll still eventually put an E4400 in it. At 3.6, It makes less heat than the 6300, because of the 4300's higher multiplier. I should still be right around the current fsb and be a faster machine to boot! I'll have no trouble selling the 4300 anyway as it's proven it can do better than most running reliably at 3.276! Even if I sell it for $100 and lose $29, it's still been worth it, just for the experience gained! Thanks again my friend!

Clock On,
    theone

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@theonejrs

I can see the want to sell that machine if the price be right :)

But for God's sake stick with the DS3! lol

The 680i is undoubtedly the king of chipsets right now. But the GA-965P-DS3 is a very solid mid-range powerhouse.

I'm glad you warned me away from the Asus P5W I was gonna order and recommended the DS3. I'm even happier with it than my already excellent(and way more expensive) M2N-SLi Deluxe.

The M2N SLi has 4 customer choice awards on newegg... but the GA-965P-DS3 has none. I expect that to change as it matures and gains renown.

-------------------

Nobody has even mentioned Patriot Signature!!!

The first RAM I have ever used and a wicked solid overclocker for the bargain basement price I paid.

DDR400 and the first memory kit I ever bought. I still consider the PC3200 version to be their best:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220037

And the very kit I own:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220071

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what is wrong with the P5W. I have absolutely no complaints. no disrespect to theone but he has never owned a P5W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.