1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've used bill me later at newegg. 90 days same as cash. only thing is it can only be used for purchases of $250 or more. you can check into newegg prefered account also. 6 months same as cash on purchases of $500 or more.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

So let me get this right.

You HAVE six months to fully pay?

Can you pay it off over a length of time or is the six months the limit?

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

same as above

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, here, PM'd aabbccdd

5. REAM

REAM Guest

OMG, i wish i could do that.

is there anyone in the UK that does that?

or do newegg ship to the uk?

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

No, newegg is a US only company.

*to all uk users here* HA! HA! HA!

I love teh newegg.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. REAM

REAM Guest

thanks. even then we get shunted on prices :(

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed we do. That's something I've had to put up with for a while. Wasn't long ago I paid £327 for a $399 Graphics card.

10. REAM

REAM Guest

OHHHHHHH

this nearly 1.5x the original price....

but then again, we earn more. (well in london where i live, anyways)

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris & REAM,
    I checked the price of my G.Skill and it's $89.99 USD at Newegg.:) At the current exchange rate, that should be about 45 Pounds. In reality the best UK price I could find was 66 Pounds including VAT. That kind of sucks!:(

Clock On,
    theone

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I be ordering my parts today. Nobody had an objection so here goes :)

I'm excited about the 680i board. They're arguably the best for Core 2 Duo. And the Mushkin Extreme Performance should give me a nice stable OC at higher speeds than my Patriot could safely hit.

And the Armor Series Case will be a godsend. The 8800GTX has about a half inch of clearance from the drive cages. So the Armor should be considerably roomier.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

Good luck with your new build!

Clock On,
    Russ

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thank you!

But I see it as the same build in spirit as long as I have the same CPU. So I'll still call it my EhFrau(german for wife) lol.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

spiritually I still think my PC the same as it was new, yet the CPU & motherboard havechanged. Numerous parts including the case are still the same. However it probably won't be too long before I change the board again. It's unstable stock! Running at 3Ghz is ok, but if I set it back to 1.8Ghz linked, it will occasionally BSOD and restart when I play a file in mediaplayer classic.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I changed everything but the case and one case fan. I bought new MB, memory, CPU, CPU cooler, 40mm NB cooler, PS, video card, 120mm Silverstone case fan, hard drive, DVD-Rom and DVDRW. For all intents and purposes, what with considering it's a higher class of computer compared to the D-940, so it's a new build!

Clock On,
    theone

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I also see my AMD in the same spirit as my oldest dual core. My grandpa gave the X2 3800+ to me as a gift and it's what really started me on the path to faster and better things. Almost everything but the case has changed but I still see it as the PC my grandpa gave me.

And the intel has REALLY changed from when I built it. I started with a P4 540(still gonna keep it) I got for $30, then a 640 shortly thereafter. But when I saw the amazing performance of Conroe I bit the bullet and got my e6600. I did kinda throw my money away on the 640 but it ended up being part of a customer gamer build for my friend's cousin.

So in a few months I jumped 3 CPUs until I found my favorite so far. I kinda jumped the gun several times but now I have a keeper. And soon I'll have even better parts for it.

I hope that'll stay as my final build as long as Core 2 Duo stays popular. Which I suspect it will for at least as long as the Pentium 4 did. I mean, It's just under a year old so far, right?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the only hardware I caried over from my old P4 rig is a 300gb hdd, a lite-on 165H6S dvdrw, and a benq DW1650 dvdrw. everything else was completely new. I still managed to build it for under $1,300. I put a benq DW1620 in my old pc and it already had a 80gb hdd so it was still fully functional.

my P4 rig is long gone as I sold it to my brother and used the money from it to put a big down payment on my Dell E1505 C2D 1.66ghz laptop pc. funny thing is my laptop with only a C2D 1.66ghz cpu is about the same speed as the P4 northwood 3.4ghz OC'ed to 3.6ghz was.

I've been considering getting an expresscard sound blaster X-Fi extreme audio notebook sound card that just came out.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Funny about that most apps in a laptop are single threaded. My boss has one and it's not as fast as my 3.0 Prescot OC'd to 3.71! Single threaded apps are a great equalizer! LOL!! The 1505 is also a different core. Mermon, I think and they don't have the speed of the E series. The E4300 at 1.8GHz would be a great deal faster than either your old northwood or the 1505!

Clock On,
    theone

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theone,

very true but my T5500 C2D at 1.66ghz will tear up an intel pentium M at 1.73ghz. I was comparing speeds of the T5500 @ 1.66ghz and the P4 3.4 @ 3.6ghz when using rb/cce to encode the same folder. the times were almost identical. neither are even in the same ballpark as my E6600 @ 3.6ghz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.