1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    if it wasn't for 2 car registrations due and water and land rates due next month I'd be there!!...:(

Maybe later this year(fingers crossed...)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Jesus, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and I can clearly hear the tone you speak of. The vibration is pretty awful too! Remind me never to get an aluminum case! LOL!!

What did you record that with. I think there's some kind if recorder in windows but I haven't even looked at it in about 3 years. I have a microphone so tell me what to do and I'll give it a shot!

Clock On,
    theone :}

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes, stock 3.4GHz overclocked and air cooled. I'm not sure which motherboard or cooler he has though. I suspect he is using something in the P4P800 series.

And you don't need a blazingly fast video card for FPS/RTS games. He plays FEAR, Half-Life 2, Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40k. And they all run at nice frames per second. The X1950Pro isn't top-end as far as video cards go, but it is no slouch even on AGP.

He has 2GB dual channel DDR400 and it's for sure enough for photo work. His X1950 and 3.8GHz Northwood zip along fine in anything he does.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sorry for the double but my new case arrived yesterday and I'm expecting my mobo and RAM to arrive later today. *wiggly puppy dance*

I love new parts :)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Me too! Lol it's that childish excitement that makes it like christmas.
    Russ, start-run, type sndrec32
    It's a basic sound recorder program, but it's what I used. The recording methods I used are in the email. I used the microphone that came with a Zalman headset (detachable) it doesn't have a furry bobble on the end, it's just a small plastic casing with a mic in it, and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Parts got here yesterday(early morning now.) I plan to be building tomorrow.

I like the RAM a lot... it looks cool.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Sleep well,
    Have fun tommorrow!!

8. REAM

REAM Guest

i dont think anyone can sleep if thier parts are ready to build in their room. id be up thinking baout them all night.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Likewise, but I have managed it before.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm freaking out now lol. It's together and I got a flawless boot on the first try. *thank god*

I really forgot how utterly annoying my Arctic Freezer 7 is to install(or remove, for that matter). You have to make sure all the pins are locked in right or you have slipping around in the mount. *ugh*

I installed windows and all drivers went in pretty painlessly. I like the BIOS of the 680i a lot :) They have my old favorite RAM/FSB ratios. A nice return from the slightly wonky(but still great) DS3.

Pics of the mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...Force+680i+SLI+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail

I have to say that it looks absolutely wicked cool. I love it already :)

A burn-in be running now. I'm on my AMD. It stays mainly as a storage machine but comes in handy for LANs with my buddies and whatnot. Still kicks the pants off most other machines out there.

The Thermaltake Armor case is HUGE! I have at least 4-6 inches of clearance for my video card. And the cooler just kinda hangs out in space. I put in a purple cathode by the side window.

Noise is considerably less with this case(not that it was an issue before). I've got a 120mm in the front and one in the back. They move A LOT of air.

The RAM is pretty weighty and oozes quality. I hope that shows when I start to really push it.

I'm hopeful on this build. I finally have some wicked parts to back my already aggressive thirst for gaming goodness.

EDIT:

Only got 4 hours of sleep then woke up and started building shirtless lol. I was way too excited.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  11. REAM

REAM Guest

that how its meant to be built!

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I must have said this a dozen times but here goes again. The foolproof method of locking the pins on any socket 775 CPU Cooler with a spring mount like the Freezer 7 is to simply remove the fan, hold down one corner of the spring mount with your thumb just behind the push pin so the mount is flush with the motherboard and press the pin in. Then go cross corner and do the same thing with the remaining 3 pins. It's foolproof. I've had mine off and on at least 6 times without removing the MB and never once had a problem. If you just try to push the pins down without getting the mount flat with the MB, you can and will have problems!

Clock On,

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes, But I have unusually shaky hands and it was a bit of a pain. I use the same method you said as I figured that to be the best way when I first installed it.

Still a pain though.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    No! A pain would be trying to remove and replace a Zalman 9500 on any socket 478 while it's in the case! Can you say Pain-in the-a$$! LOL!!

Good luck with your new build. isn't that a great feeling when you boot it up for the first time and it actually works? That's how it was with my v1.33 DS3! A far cry from the numerous BSODs I got with the three P5N-Es!

Clock On,

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, a pain is trying to install a Zalman CNPS7000, and then realise that the screws you're using are for a fan controller!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    ROFLMAO!!!

I don't know though! You have to remove the PS to get enough of an angle to turn the allen screw on the 9500 with the long allen wrench provided. And that's just to get it out! Getting it back in again is an adventure as you can strip the provided screws in a heartbeat because the screws need to go at a 90 degree angle to the MB, but the cooler itself physically gets in the way and doesn't allow straight access so you are forced to work at about a 65 degree angle! It's about as easy as trying to turn a glass doorknob that's been greased! LOL!!

Clock On,

17. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

I've never had to remove my PS, and removing mine takes about 1 minute, on the other had putting it back in takes a bit longer, but not more than 3-5 minutes.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ok, me been running it on burn-in for roughly eight hours. Solid with no failures so far. I'm going it to run until tomorrow whenever I wake up then I'm going to jump right to the overclocking *evil smiley*.

I want to say 3.4GHz is my goal. Any more and I need monster cooling... any less and I might as well stayed with the GA-965P-DS3.

Happy Yappin' - Estuansis

19. docTY

docTY Regular member

congrats on getting all your parts and a successful build Estuansis, your new rig. is becoming MORE and MORE like mine! :)

at this point i can say we have very similar components in our respective E6600 builds, hope you enjoy the "bump" you get w/ those Mushkin sticks, i was actually running those same identical sticks almost a year ago when they were insanely expensive, i've NEVER had a problem in dealing with Mushkin...they were my very FIRST "high-end" memory company of choice and their aggressive timings on their "extreme performance" and "redline" kits is amazing. :)

enjoy...3.4ghz should be NO problem to attain, should you need some "tricks of the trade" on the 680i mobo, all you need to do is ask~

docTY

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

*shudders* Don't say that lol.

But seriously, If I need help you're gonna get pointed at first. I'm not fully sure now on what I wanna do... I have the CL3 sticks in my AMD but at PC2 5300. Then I've got these CL4 PC2 6400 sticks that are every bit their equals... what do I do???

I'm thinking on keeping the mushkin in this build only for the sake of stock DDR2 800.

I don't think I wanna re-tweak everything in my AMD just for some memory... hmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.