1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    About the same price I paid for my AGP 8x and there wasn't a nickels worth of difference between it and the PCIe 16x in 3DMark. My only problem with the X800GTO was heat related. If you played games it got hot and the fan would scream! It also had a connection problem with the power plug as it drew enough power so it got the molex plug on the back very hot. Shut it down and the next day it would give a video card power error on screen. Clean and tighten the connections and it would work fine for a couple of months again. It also didn't OC worth a damn, which was very surprising because the GTO was a known good overclocker!

sammorris,
    The last one on my list is passively cooled:
    XFX PVT71JUHE4 GeForce 7950GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail Core Clock 480MHz Memory Clock 1400MHz
    So is the Fatal1ty but it runs at 650/1600 and costs about $80 more than mine did!

I would like to take issue with the noise complaints regarding the 7600GT and say that as far as the XFX goes, that problem doesn't exist as mine runs at full chat all the time because of the OC and it's way quieter than the Sapphire X800GTO ever was! When you played games with the X800 it would wind up like a damn jet engine and was very annoying. I wouldn't even want to think of what it would be like in an aluminum case! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :}

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My X850XT was the same. It ran fine but when I played games it sounded just like a Boeing 747 jet engine.

My X1800XT is about the same but a bit quieter. Pretty bothersome still, but bearable.

My 8800GTX is a bit loud. Sounds kinda like a weed whacker on a TV with the volume turned down. Pretty noisy with the case open but a soft hum with the side on.

I don't know why the X800 series had such loud coolers. It baffles the mind with all the quiet actively cooled cards today.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@crowy

is that ThuG's cedar mill?

if so he gets some insane clocks off that p5b dlx.

last time i checked he had just cracked 8ghz

5. crowy

crowy Guest

Where's it going to end???
    [​IMG]

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Yes it is.
    Link is under the screen shot.

Some interesting other reading at the same site too.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my fave fact about that chip is that it has to run at (or above) 7.8ghz to do superpi 1m faster than my pb at 3.3ghz.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

That's an interesting thought.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i managed to get mine down to 17.1 secs @ 3.3ghz (367x9 on 1.45v) by tweaking my startup and upping the volts to my ram to 2.3v (and nb to 1.4v) to run @918 5-5-6-18 whereas the 631 was as this link;
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4922/7800pima4.jpg

its not a fair comparison really as mine is a newwer tech chip with twice the cores but you do see my point.

it is still an amazing feat, with a p4 im not saying its not, dont get me wrong and he/they get mucho respect for it, its 8ghz ffs but its more to say how much more the c2d can do than the pentiums. people are now getting it done in under 9 seconds so....

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There was supposed to be a 2KW Toughpower but I'm thinking it's a hoax.
    As for the X1900XT, I'll run a test and report back.
    Russ, an aluminium case shouldn't in theory affect the vibrations of a GPU because the fan for it isn't screwed directly into the metal. However, I ran the leaf-blower like fan out of the heatsink and it was a good 15dB quieter. Full speed and it was far quieter than the Silverstones. with the fan on the heatsink it would have been far louder. Now I have no fan on it at all! hooray!

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I was checking out the Tomshardware VGA Charts and the X1900XT 512MB consistently placed just above the X1800XT by only a few FPS. 10 - 15 was the average I was seeing so you should be pretty close.

On that 8GHz CPU. Meh, it's quick. But at 3.4GHz I'm probably right on it's heels. Pentium 4 was nice but with C2D giving more than twice the performance at the same speeds I don't see the need to push the Cedar Mill anymore. Now, if they pushed say an E6600/6700 to the 5GHz + boundaries I would really be impressed.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

According to Sandra:
    Pentium 4 E 3.8Ghz: 8414 and 9946
    Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz: 26501 and 18441
    A Cedarmill can't be THAT much better than the Prescott.
    All that extra + dual core speed = win, and it was probably a lot cheaper to achieve that win too.

I get an average of about 50fps in FEAR, but at 2048x1536. All the detail levels are max to my knowledge.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm talking 1600 x 1200 though. Try it on that and look for an average that it likes to hang around.

I get around 60-70 in most areas on 1600 x 1200 with details max. A bit lower in heavy combat. No AF or AA.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At 2048x1536 I found it very variable, 150 in some areas, 30 in others.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Estuansis,

in case you want to play:

425mhz cpu freq. x 8 multiplier = 3.4ghz with memory at 850mhz fsb:dram ratio 1:1.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow, that actually sounds like a reasonable compromise on memory speed and 1:1 ratio. I'ma look into that.

But for now my build is going to stay on the back burner. I'm taking a break from tweaking as it burns in. I'm shooting for a week at least. Just to make sure the components are stable with overclocks and won't crap out when I go to make changes later.

For now I've just been playing games on my AMD and chillaxing. Enjoying my summer, swimming at the lake, hanging at my girlfriends house and the like.

The fun comes in the school year when it helps me relax in the afternoon. So unless I have a fit of ADHD and decide to start tweaking don't expect much more OCing from me.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    They have some serious and fast high quality memory there! ROFL!!
    That's like a wet dream come true! LOL!!!
    Anyone know the record for Super Pi 1.5?

Clock On,
    theone :}

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Now I'm impressed :)

That's some pretty incredible stuff. We're looking at over $1000 in cooling alone though.

A very nice phase change cooler or a liquid nitrogen block. And even then liquid N2 is expensive to maintain as you only get a few hours for benchmarking and screenies before you need to refill the block or shut down.

Phase change is very cool though. If not maybe a bit noisy and complicated lol.

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think that the team japan 8.xx secs is it but im not 100%. i have yet to se anyone go under 8sec, but if i do i will let you all know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.