1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm looking at the RAM and the latency they're using. Is that even possible at those speeds?

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

4. crowy

crowy Guest

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I usually have pretty good stability apart from the occasional BSOD caused by that pesky Windows virus... LMAO.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'm using what I consider to be the best AV software I've ever had, Kaspersky 6.0. It has it,s minor annoyances like the "Pig Squeal" sound it makes to alert you to a problem. I no longer run any ad-ware or spyware programs as Kaspersky does it all! Even at full price, it's worth every penny! Guarantee that it will get rid of that pesky windows virus!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832355001
    $54.99 w/$25 mail-in Rebate=$29.99

Best Regards,
    theone :}

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds interesting. I've been using AVG Free Edition for a while, not had any issues for a while, but then i've been behind a university firewall for the past few months, so I should be relatively safe! Only virus I've been exposed to is Starforce! lol

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ugh, Starforce...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

The best thing I like about the way Kaspersky works is when you run a complete virus scan. Takes just under 16 minutes for my fairly full 160GB drive. Thats at least twice as fast as anything else! They claim 8 minutes for an 80GB and I've confirmed that with the 80 on the 4000+! It's also easy to use!

Clock On,
    theone :<}

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I remember when I had McAfee on the Dell. Took over 3 hours for a virus scan on a 60GB HDD. I tried it as a joke on my AMD and it took over 40 hours to scan a half full 250GB!!!

I'll never use anything that costs money again. Only AVG Free and Comodo and Zonealarm.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theone,

I thought you were using AT&T online protection. it is provided by computer associates. that's what I use.

I'll see how long it takes to scan my C: drive which is an 80gb partition and is 74% full.

edit: the scan took 18 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I was waiting for someone to mention that.

When I got Kaspersky as a gift from a customer, I decided to do a little experiment and put it on this build. The other two computers have CA E-Trust on them. I split my computer time between the 4000+ and mine. Both were clean installs so everything would be even. I ran a scan on each after about 6 weeks and there were 0 threats on the C2D while on the 4000+ there were 37, mostly trojans that E-Trust didn't intercept. Trojans that weren't adware! I've always accepted that as being normal, that these were not serious threats to my computer. E-Trust didn't even warn me!

With the Kaspersky the first time I heard this loud squealing sound the dog ran into my room barking her head off! I guess she was looking for the pig making the noise! Kaspersky had intercepted all the Trojans and asked me whether I wanted to allow or deny them. It went on to explain the nature of the Trojan and what it does. Like I said most were not ad-ware. It didn't matter as they never got into my computer.

Occasionally everyone gets a virus that slips through any AV program. The minute it's activated Kaspersky notifies you and asks you to run a special program to remove it. More than likely came inside of something legitimate that activated it when installed. When it's all done it returns your computer to it's original state, like it had been on standby or hibernate! Good Stuff!!

Even though I have about 9 months left on the E-Trust license, all three computers have Kaspersky installed now because I did take notice that while E-Trust would find these with a scan, it wouldn't block them or notify you!. This is just so much better. While I realize this is not exactly scientific, but I do go mainly the same places on my computer, regular things like forums, or certain web sites, the difference was just too great not to see that this was better. Even my roomate noticed the difference in that things were being blocked from sites he had been going to for years without a peep out of E-Trust.

I couldn't believe how fast it was, performing a complete scan of the system. Right at 16 minutes for my 160GB drive, 2 minutes faster than it took you to scan your 80GB drive with the CA. It used to take more than twice that with the E-Trust at about 36 minutes for the same drive. I don't generally throw money away, and this time there was no cost to me for the Kaspersky, but the CA is history, and I did pay for it!

I read some reviews on the top rated AntiVirus programs and discovered that Kaspersky is one of the top rated programs. After using it for a few months, I can see why! I'm on line a good portion of every day so it's important for me to have good protection and security and Kaspersky updates at least once a day, sometimes more. I feel a lot safer using it! If I didn't already own it, I would shuck out the cash for it! It's worth every penny!

Best Regards,
    theone

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, sounds interesting. When I go back to normal broadband, I shall need something like that.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I was never unhappy with the E-Trust, it's just that this is so much better. They were thoughtful too. The License allows for 3 installations. I guess they were thinking Home, Office and Laptop. It's married to the ID# of the bios so it can be installed as many times on the same computer as you want. Since it's active all the time you really don't have to even schedule a scan. I've scanned it a couple of times and there's never anything found. I guess if it doesn't allow access to all the ad-ware, spy-ware, viruses and trojans, there's nothing there to be scanned! I don't even use Spybot or AdAware at all anymore as this one program does it all, and does a far better job!

Clock On,
    theone :<}

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So upgrade your CPU and you're screwed, that's not so great...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Sorry, I meant the ID of the bios. My brain took a short leave! LOL!! I was thinking bios but typed CPU! Sorry!!!

EDIT:I amended my post!

Clock On,

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theone,

kaspersky sounds like some pretty good stuff. I think I'll stick with my AT&T online protection though. it's free with their DSL service and when I manually scanned my C: drive yesterday, there were no threats found so it must be doing it's job. it also has an adware/spyware removal tool and alerts you every so often that a scan is required. I still run adaware SE once in a while too but no longer use spybot.

I know my online protection works because it has alerted me before and blocked some viruses/trojans.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Like I said, I was never unhappy with the CA product as I've been using it since late 03. I first got it free for a year from Micro$oft with SP-1. I would more than likely be still using it if I hadn't gotten the Kaspersky as a gift. It was also an ideal time because of having one brand new computer and one older one that had a fresh install of XP Pro to compare the two in a fair non-scientific way. The 4000+ might just as well been a new computer as I moved everything on it to the D-940 and a new 160 Sata drive. I just wiped the drive clean with Acronis and started over. Here's some info from CNet for anyone interested.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-se...persky-anti-virus-6/4505-3667_7-32004282.html

I was wrong about the update frequency as it's hourly. They also have a free version called "AOL Active Virus Shield", something the other major companies don't provide, and a full function 30 day free trial.

Clock On,

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theone,

no disrespect but I won't have anything AOL on my pc.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    None taken! I'd sooner put a brillo pad in the toaster! LOL!! Getting rid of AOL's crap from your computer is worse than trying to get rid of Real Player! Nothing short of wiping the drive seems to get rid of either! ROFL!!

Clock On,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.