1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Honestly, the only buggy programs I have are Windows (lol) and ATi Catalyst Control Panel. For me it'll take up to 5 seconds to open(ugh) but ATi makes up for it with performance.

I set everything to application control just to avoid opening it.

Okay... we should get back on topic. lol

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol I know, Catalyst is still terrible for opening times.
    hehe, that's just the computer, try the phone line!
    In order to get rid of AOL we had to block the credit card payments, take wirecutters to the internet phone line, and plug the wires for the other phone sockets into the existing line cables, then cancel our subscription for the other phone line. 11 weeks downtime, 1 phone line lost, and around £100 of unused subscription.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Okay, I gotta good one. I was looking at cleaners to use for heat sinks and circuit boards and the like.

I was told that Isopropyl Alcohol is the best. But I have almost none left. My question...

I have a bottle of Iso-Heet fuel treatment/antifreeze. I'm looking at a 91% purity. Is there anything else in it or is it just Isopropyl Alcohol?

Any experience using it guys?

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I use fuel injector cleaner, so why not!

Clock On,
    theone :}

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

You think it'd be safe? It says Isopropyl with an additive. You think that make it leave any residue? I'm looking at putting some heatsinks on both my boards' chipsets.

I want to make sure I'm not gonna have problems. And I don't have the inclination to go the the drug store all the way across town to buy a bottle of Ispropyl.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol I used window & glass cleaner on my Athlon XP, worked like a charm.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've heard of using window cleaner too. lol

I guess I'll use the Iso-HEET. I gave it a wiff and it smells just like my Isopropyl so I'll assume it's pretty close. Again it has 91% purity according to my dad(an experienced mechanic) so it should be alright to use.

And before I used Isopropyl I was using carb cleaner and it worked so this can't be much worse lol.

It seems to evaporate alright and a quick wipe down with a coffee filter revealed a clean surface. I'll report how it works when my heatsinks get here.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Acetone works like a charm,available from any hardware store.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yet... I feel more inclined to stay at home... lol

I know acetone works well but Iso-HEET is looking to be my winner. It's fairly high purity and it doesn't leave any visible or "feelable" residue as far as I can tell.

As I said, I'll try it out and see how well it does. If I'm satisfied I'll keep it as long as the bottle lasts. If not, I'll just go to my local PC shop and grab some Isopropyl Alcohol.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to comment on Arctic Ceramique. It's not a cream texture like Arctic Silver 5. It's super thick. Like soft modeling clay. It'll stick to anything and is near impossible to get out of my blue shirt even after 20+ wash cycles. And the cure time is quite a bit longer. But it seems to give equal performance once it cures and "sets in".

I prefer it due to the significantly lowered risk of frying components. It's non electrically conductive. I like it but it's a bit harder to spread a nice thin coat. But once you work it a bit you can smooth it fairly well. I've even gotten good results from just dropping a dot on the core and setting the heatsink on and letting it squish itself flat.

I loved Arctic Silver 5 but I just don't see the sense in using it as I can get clumsy. Using expensive parts like mine warrants a bit of accident prevention :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis.
    Put the syringe for the Ceramique in the microwave for about 3 seconds for the little tube and about 8 seconds for the big one. I got that helpful hint from the makers! Be careful, it will be warm when you pick up the syringe, but it will be much easier to apply!

Best Regards,

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh, Wow I'll give that a go when I do it on Monday. That would make it a lot easier!

Thanks for the tip :)

Edit: I know UPS doesn't deliver on weekends. But do they keep shipping on weekends? I'm tracking the package and the heatsinks are "in transit" to the same location since Friday night. Do they just not update on weekends? Is it gonna be in the UPS office by Sunday?

I ask because I ordered on Wednesday with UPS 3 day standard. I usually make a Monday/Tuesday order so this is a "first-time" situation for me.

I just wanna know if they're gonna be on delivery on Monday or if I'm gonna have to wait still for them to get here from Des Moines, IA.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most deliveries that are in progress over weekends turn up on tuesdays. Some couriers, however do the weekend work. Perhaps UPS is one of them. DHL and Parcel Force do it.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    UPS continues to move things on weekends! The part that deals with the public is closed. What you are seeing when you put in the tracking # is usually confusing where it appears to be doing nothing. It will update. There should be an estimated delivery date on it. If you ordered on Wed. you should have it Monday!

Clock On,

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's good to know... I'M SO EXCITED(new parts)!!!

I can't stand waiting for new parts. I always have to take half a Valium pill to knock me out or I can't sleep some nights. Or I'll stay up through the night until the next day's after noon and then sleep to noon the next day. It's tough for us youngin's!

Imagine how stressed I was when I ordered my 8800 and my Core 2 Duo at the same time! It was the worst!

But UPS has been pretty good to me and the worst I got was a broken off sub woofer tube that was fixed nicely with some Lok-Tite.

I get my impatience from my dad. Even he gets excited when I order new parts.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol my dad barely knows what a computer is

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm slowly trying to help my dad learn. He understands well enough to know between different CPU sockets and the basic gist of how the FSB works... not much else.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  17. crowy

crowy Guest

Sorry!!!
    Double post:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  18. crowy

crowy Guest

Now that's good news!!

A bios update instead of a new motherboard!

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32604/139/

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But will it be worth it? Still no sign of how much faster it'll be...

20. crowy

crowy Guest

We can live in hope!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.