1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I remember it wasn't too long ago that Intel was being berated bigtime for trying to sell vapor hardware (they did deliver though). Looks like AMD is now doing the same thing (lets hope they deliver). So far AMD has been playing a poor second to Intel's new processors. AMD had the performance lead for a long time, but Intel dropped a bomb on AMD with the new CPU architecture. It looks like AMD is going to have to come up with something besides improvements on hypertransport if they want to get back in the game.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Alright... the Iso-Heet worked well. Dropped my chipset temps 2-5*C all around with ceramique. Very pleased :)

I've found another budget miracle. And what I think is the bigger brother to the 7600GT. The 8600GTS. I'm seeing them at low prices and matching an X1950Pro or better... take a look for yourself in any online review. nVidia is really delivering with their DX10 line. Not only is the 8800 the undisputed king the 8600 is making the previous generation of ATi cards look sick :)

nVidia forever!

It would be cool to see Intel/nVidia merge like AMD/ATi. Then we could get a real face-off going :)

Clock On(on a budget,) - Estuansis

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's been mooted, but if anything it's just going to see Intel with better integrated graphics (which is definitely a good thing) rather than improved nVidia products. The 8600GTS is a good card, not heard much about the HD 2600 yet, the midrange Radeons do show some real promise, and the 2400 is an absolute steal at £30, but there's no doubt about it, the 2900XT is worthless.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,

No offense but TGDaily is really begining to suck!
    I looked down the list of articles and discovered this:
    "AMD posts Barcelona benchmark numbers" I got all excited until I opened the article and discovered that these weren't benchmark numbers at all, but "performance Estimates"! What BS!

Clock On,
    theone :(

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I wouldn't put down the 2900 quite yet. It's showing improvements with each new driver release. And it released with a lower relative price than the 8800GTX. So while it doesn't match up as the top card for ATi it still is a decent performer for the price.

8800GTX release price = $700($699.95)
    HD2900XT release price = $500($499.95)

I dunno about the mid range ATi cards. After the X1600XT fiasco I've been very wary of ATi's mid-range. But the X1650XT was a good performer. It was a bit too late but it showed ATi CAN release a decent mid-range so we'll see.

Different topic:
    My buddy James has his X2 3800+ @ 2.4GHz. Idles at like 33*C. Is that an acceptable temp?(yeesh, I ask alot of questions for friends, lol)

I know my e6600 at 3.4GHz is idling around 35*C and loads at around 55*C so I dunno if he'll be having problems at a more modest OC. And the 4400+ at 2.6GHz idles at about 32-33. Load in the high 40's(kinda answered it there) but I want a second opinion.

Edit: His temps are just after putting on some AS5 with a Freezer 64 Pro. It might drop later :) The Stock cooler at stock speeds idled at 37*C (0.o) I think it atleast made a difference :)

@theone

That's a crappy deal! I wanna see some real benchies before I decide to upgrade ever. Kinda disappoints :(

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

None taken, THG is far from the only site I use.

Estuansis: All those temps are fine, the 2900XT may be cheaper than the 8800GTX, but it should be - it's slower, louder and hotter. It sits around the performance of the higher end GTS, which is similarly priced. Coincidence? nah.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Right. Thank you sam.

The 8800GTS is amazing as the *budget* 8800. I almost got one before I decide to take a step up the the GTX. It's currently the second fastest card out there and is very nicely priced as of now :)

Well, 4:50AM here... off to bed lol.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol fair enough. Know what the other boon of the GTS is? It overclocks to be, near enough, as fast as a GTX. I know someone with 10,500 in 3dmark06 using just the one.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, my buddy called. Hes now idling at 29!!!!! Very happy for him :)

I've heard rumors of people unlocking extra stream processors and overclocking their 8800GTS and getting very close if not equal to the 8800GTX(just a rumor) but that's an amazing score for that card :)

If nVidia ever releases an 8900 I'll be very interested to see how they can top the 8800.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My next graphics upgrade will be when there's something that's at least 20% or so faster than the 8800GTX, puts out no more than 130W or so of heat and costs £350 or less. Until then, the performance gain isn't worth it for the cost and the extra cooling needed.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Then you might have to wait a while my friend. Soon the X1900XT will become the next 9800Pro. Still adequate but far from good.

Id go for a new card when the 8800GTS drops.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can play Supreme Commander at 2560x1600. Can you?
    The X1900XT will eventually become antiquated, but that's far from imminent. I have full confidence I can buy (or 'obtain') a new PC game and my PC will handle it, on the one proviso I don't need Vista, because it doesn't work with my motherboard (lol!)

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ:
    Vapourware from the other side this time!!!

I think AMD will get it right when they eventually release their new cores.If they do there's gonna be some serious price decreases from Intel,so maybe the better buy will still be the C2D'S???

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    Not really! TGdailey were the guilty ones this time, not AMD! TGdailey knew that going in. They just totally misrepresented what AMD said! It's bad enough when Intel and AMD report vaporware, but the Media does it????

Clock On,
    theone :>)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  15. crowy

crowy Guest

So let's hope the media got it right!!!

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, either way I'm pretty future proof for the next 2+ years.

Only when Intel releases a complete successor to the Core 2 Duo and Nvidia releases a successor to the GeForce 8 will I feel the need for a major upgrade. And the way things are going it'll be a while. Even the new 45nm Intels are only going to be an improvement to the existing Core 2 Duo.

And for new games. Well, just look at what sam said. Even his slightly dated X1900XT can handle most new stuff with absolutely no problem at all.

I can run anything in the next 2 years with absolute top settings for sure. And anything after that will still run well at decently high settings. Even the 6800Ultra is still considered a decent mid-range card after 2 generations.

The Core 2 Duo was another ground-breaker. It currently blows away all other processors ever made. So it'll be atleast as good as the P4 was after a new generation. Not the best anymore but more than adequate to still get the job done.

So I'm confident my brand-new top-of-the-line 8800GTX will have some amazing longevity. It completely decimates every other card out there even from ATi's new high-end. So it'll be at least another generation before it's even slightly dated. It'll require new technology and some amazing clock speeds to top it.

And if AMD's newest line is really as good as they say. And if it's backward compatible. I got a nice high-end AM2 mobo to throw it in and an 8800GTX to back it up.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol, slightly boastful Estuansis? :p
    Love the signature quote btw

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Boastful? Definitely :)

True? If not, what the hell did I just spend my money on? lol

I built this with the plan to future proof myself and to play my games well for a few years. I figure if the Pentium 4 and 6800 Ultra can remain popular for as long as they have and still perform adequately then the Core 2 Duo and 8800GTX can too. Besides, now that I have my system pretty much complete I can save my money for a while(a side fund anyway) and be ready for the next generation when it rears its ugly head >.>

It's not like I'm loaded and have multiple systems(just two... and my parents Dell). And both of those systems evolved from super budget builds even using older parts laying around(still have my X850XT). I built using cheaper parts and bought piece-by-piece the rest of my system.

The biggest purchase I've ever made was my 8800GTX and my e6600 together. And I had to save every penny earned for 3 1/2 months to do it.

So I suppose I deserve some bragging rights, no?

And yes, I love my sig quote. Funny enough I found it in another sig :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's what it's all about for you, futureproofing, since you can't use anywhere near all the power of an 8800GTX with a small monitor, so it will last you ages.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

>.> Touche...

Seriously though, do not think I'm gonna keep using this one for long. I'm checking out the bigger Sceptre monitors or maybe something else if I get a decent deal...

Looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

or for the next step up*just a tiny step*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001223

or for nearly the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116084

But I do have plans to get one very soon. Just need to find whats best for me. I kinda want to avoid widescreen if I can. That means all of my 4:3 aspect DVDs would have to be letter box :( But that seems to be the only ratio for the larger screens *sigh*

And price becomes another issue. I don't want to go over $600 if I can help it. Not everyone has the $1500 for the Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP. Amazing though it is.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.