1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It will accept 1080i/1080p inputs, probably through the DVI connection, but it's resolution being limited to 1680x1050 means it's one of those monitors that will downscale the image to fit. Not sure what it'll downscale it to.

2. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

I was hoping to read up on peoples take on the forthcoming AM3 but here I find you guys discussing TV's. hmmmm, Well I have a Toshiba 32" LCD and a Panasonic 46" Projection. Both of which I watch at 1080i. I have a HTPC connected to my Toshiba via DVI to HDMI cable. Your video card settings determines how the signal is outputted to the TV, whether interlaced or progessive. I use an ATI x1600PRO card with Catalyst Drivers. The Toshiba is able to display any resolution I throw at it as long as it's under the 1920x1080 resolution. For the fun of it I connected my DELL 19" LCD to my DISH box and was able to watch HD programming on it at 1080i, the only problem it had was that it made people look like they were stretched vertically because the max res for my Computer monitor is 1600x1200. On some DVD playback software you can set the software (Cyberlink PowerDVD) to perform de-interlacing, which I assume is making it progressive.

I think DLP's are more like a projection TVs having a "light" source then using mirrors to enlarge the image to the screen size. Aside from DLPs, Plasmas, and LCDs, there are new LED (Light Emitting Diode) TV sets that are also relatively thin and should run very cool. Samsung has a line of them.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't think they were out yet?
    If they can solve the problem of the blue OLED not lasting long enough, I'd be interested. Super thin, super high performance and low cost, but until that happens OLEDs are a bit of an up and coming.

4. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

Oh my apologies their "LED" TV is that they now use LEDs as the light source for their 1080P DLP TVs instead of a bulb, which seemed to burn out quickly.

Oh and Estuansis' idea of a super thin CRT, with crazy sharp resolutions is not far from reality...check out the quite promising SED TV technology.

Here is a picture of one...enjoy!
    [​IMG]

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, I was talking about OLED TVs.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

6spdSER,
    That would be incorrect! The millions of mirrors are all on a chip about the size of a cpu. Here's a complete explanation of it. Click on the explanation of the mirrors and then click the more complete explanation of the mirrors!

http://www.itsthemirrors.com/

Amazing stuff! I would very much like to see this tech applied to a computer monitor! BTW, My best friend has yet to replace the bulb after more than 2 years on his Mitsubishi DLP! The big problem with LEDs is Pixelation! At any kind of decent contrast ratio, the picture appears grainy. Sharp found this out with their Projector system that could project up to a 100" picture on a screen and finally abandoned the system altogether. With the DLP each individual pixel is made of of many other pixels with each of those millions of tiny mirrors controling a portion of each pixel. Successful Organic LEDs are a long way off, and still have the pixelation problem to deal with cause mainly by the size of the individual LEDs!
    Yes, and notice the washed out appearance of the picture. It lacks contrast. that's the bane of any LED screen!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

Clock On,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I think I get how DLPs work now. Set resolutions but high pixel density means no jaggies >.>

Am I right now? lol

It does seem like a very fragile technology though. If I bought a DLP I would have it shipped in a foam padded steel box with armed guards and a self-destruct timer for broken parts... lol

But it is a solid concept and looks to be a good display medium. But I'll happily stick with my Sceptre Naga and my new(upcoming) Dell 2407WFP.

LCDs are simpler IMO. They either have dead pixels or not and are easier to transport. If resolution becomes an issue you just upgrade and get over it.

CRTs are dead because of their limiting size and LEDs are only useful for large signs and Jumbo-Trons.

Back to the subject matter before we're closed, eh?

Looking back I see the Athlon 64 3300+. It was Palermo core and performed crap even compared to similar Semprons. Besides that it was OEM and overpriced.

Just like how if you buy a 2500+ Barton from eBay chances are you're getting a re badged Sempron/Duron with half the cache.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Actually it's not fragile at all. It's more rugged than LCDs! The mass that moves is so tiny, less than 1/5 the thickness of a human hair in width and length. Plus if you noticed the action and how it works when it's off thay all lie flat without any movement, so there's nothing to bounce around. You are more likely to get a bad pixel than have any problem with DLP! There's no alignment needed either.

The reason for the pixelation with LEDs is a simple matter of physics! The size of the individual LEDs needed to make the screen matrix, and craming them in perfect order into the screen. The mirrors are so much smaller to start with and each one controls a specific spot on the screen.

I'm sure you don't know this but the first Color TVs were Black & White based. Columbia Broadcasting company developed one that was superior to the 3 gun system that was developed by RCA. It's only drawback was the mechanical parts of the day weren't up to the job and they were noisy!

Technicolor is also a Black & White based system too where three filmstrips are made, one for each Primary color. I have a DVD of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn made in 1939 and it's color is magnificent!

Hope that explains why it's so good and so rugged!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Here's something interesting, one of the music artists I'm into, Aphex Twin, first started making music at the age of 12 with a ZX81. I'm told the ZX81 had no sound production ability at all. He managed to manipulate the video signal it sent to the TV in such a way that the hum of the Cathode ray tube played music!
    Even today, he does bizarre things like that - for example, run one section of one of his tracks through a Spectrum Analyser and you see his face. I wish I was that musically talented!

Estuansis:
    Believe it or not, some dead pixels can in fact be rectified by rubbing the screen. It doesn't always work, but in some cases doing that has resurrected the pixel entirely!
    With regard to getting them though, they're pretty rare nowadays, even on the cheapest models. I expect you're pretty safe in that sense with the 2407.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I've been hunting around for an organ for a few months now. I want to go back to playing as I really enjoy it and it relaxes me. Problem is finding one (no I don't want a synthesizer). Not finding one because most people will give them away just to get it out of the house!

I love the old Theater Organs because you can play any type of music you want on them from Classical to Hard Rock! I came across this the other day, and I think my prayers have been answered.

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Hauptwerk-WhatIsIt.shtml

It's a program that makes the sound with the computer played through a Midi keyboard. It's the closest to pipes I've ever heard and they have some complicated sampling system where each note is completely different, not just in sound but in character as well. Like the pipes, each note is unique! Check it out and play some of the demos. They have a little something for everyone. It can make your computer into a Virtual Pipe Organ without the bulk of Leslie tone cabinets and huge speakers or a console for that matter. And it sounds better than what you can buy!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds interesting. I remember trying out Steinberg's The Grand, and being impresssed with it, but I didn't have a MIDI keyboard at the time (well I had a PSR-340 keyboard that supported MIDI, but no cable) so I had to do it with the less than convincing mouse.

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Classic..."I wish the milkman would deliver my milk" :)

Ever dig into the whole year zero (NIN) "conspiracy" about the countdown to the revolution? A few of the clues used to solve the puzzle did the same thing, and revealed new hidden tracks and links to other clues.
    Tying this in, Apple uses Intel chips now I believe and Apple has a stranglehold on the music creation/editing business of computering. This whole thread "Intel vs. AMD" seems to have been from Windows point of view, any opinions on the different options Apple users out there have on this?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I'm aware Macs don't use AMDs, so surely it's IBM vs Intel? In which case, intel hands down.

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thats true, I suppose I was being lazy and asking for opinions about overall performance from people who may have used an Apple with a new Intel C2D in it. The one my band uses for sampling/ sound bank changes/ live choreographed video is a little older than that, and I was wondering how it "stacked up" to others.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Core 2 Duo systems murder the dual PowerPC ones, I've heard.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh my god... it hasn't even shipped yet. I checked order status and it's still in processing. Grrr!

A big reason why I hate Dell... shipping time.

It says it ships tomorrow so I'm hopeful.

I'm ready for a new screen. I had my Sceptre hooked to the Intel and and I went to play FEAR. Completely forgot that I had limited resolution... I almost cried :(

FEAR is NOT fun in resolutions that black out my screen!

I'm freaking ready for a widescreen... BRING IT ON!!!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I played FEAR at 2560x1600 once (Had to edit the config file to do it though, and I think you'll have to do so to get 1920x1200, 1920x1440 isn't going to work, and 1600x1200 won't fill your screen) and although it didn't play all that well, it looked AWESOME.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I know about the custom config in FEAR... it works well but it was set at 1600 x 1200 on the Intel when I plugged in the monitor... just hit continue and BAM.... black screen. Totally depressing.

[EDIT]Funny that it didn't set it down, eh?[/EDIT]

So even If I gotta play with a custom config file that's no problem. As long as I don't have to stare at my tiny(relatively) CRT or play at 12 x 10 I'm good. lol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Although you have to keep a high res to maintain good picture quality, thus demanding high spec hardware, it is nice to know that there is no resolution I can set that will cause that problem!

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed as topics is not about intel & amd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.