1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

2. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

I Agree with the ram. me and chips are friends from school.
    i dont agree with the LCD, the viewsonic is known to have some ghosting on it, BTW: i think i got a bad one, but i can only overclock my 3700 to a 2.55 stable? whats the deal? thats not messing with the voltage though..

and the asus motherboards are known for their stability and quality, so you should not have any problembs.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Viewsonics aren't known to have ghosting in my books, that's the whole point of the 2ms. Tbh 2.55 isn't bad for a 3700 if you haven't adjusted the voltage.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

@jpchipps,
    For an extra $62 why not go for an Athlon 3800x2?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's affordable then absolutely. I assumed since he chose a single core that was the limit of his budget. an X2 is far better though.

6. jpchipps

jpchipps Member

Well, I dont think I'll be able to the Athlon 3800+ simply cuz my budget wont support that, even $62 over.

:-/

But its cool.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

@sammorris,
    Of course thats true.But $62 is excruciatingly close for the performance gain:)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is, but as expected, not close enough.

9. crowy

crowy Guest

@jpchipps,
    Maybe you could go with a cheaper graphics card?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

He could, the X1900GT is still good, but he chose those components don't forget.

11. crowy

crowy Guest

@sammorris,
    Thats true once again.
    Not sure if gaming is going to be the main priority for that setup.
    How would a cheaper card with 3800x2 compare with expensive card cheaper single core processor compare?

12. jpchipps

jpchipps Member

Do you really think getting the Athlon X2 [3800] and something like ATI's 1800 will be better that getting the X1 [3700] paired with ATI's 1900?

What about when DirectX 10 comes out? I cant get a DX10 card, thats too long to wait, but, will ATI's 1800 have updated software drivers compatible for DX 10??

13. jpchipps

jpchipps Member

Yes! Gaming is one of the main reasons I'm getting the new rig.

Especially for Halo and World Of Warcraft mostly.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

@jpchipps,
    I would be very surprised if updated drivers were not available when directx 10 gets here.There is only a 25mhz/50mhz difference between the 2 cards so the difference wouldnt be that great in the real world.I'm sure a little overclocking with the 1800 would see it very close to the 1900.At the end of the day its your choice but if it was me I would go with dual core.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive noticed alot of people building for gameing. i understand needing all the good top end stuff for the graphic/sound and other good stuff to make the game better for ya. but what if your build like mine would be is mostly for burning dvds and every now and then VCD's or for pic editingi know more mem/HD is a must for that. but is a bigger cpu and mobo necessary? just curious. im sure all of us would agree on top end everything if we all could afford it. dont get me wrong i want a mean machine but a wife 3 kids 2 cats mooching relatives ETC.... get the pic..lol. tend to keep the average guy like me on a close money leash...lol

16. crowy

crowy Guest

@cincyrob,
    Depends on how important the time factor is.Obviously good discs and a 16x burner at full speed is going to help.
    My old xp1700+ with 384mb ram and 4x burner would take around 40 mins to copy a 4.5mb dvd.My new one(see specs below)takes around 5 mins for the same operation.

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Well I thought I was happy doing the whole DVD shrink/ Nero recode whatever the method on my P4 3.0 if it was main movie, or 100 percent (no Shrinking) the whole process would go about 20 minutes, then another 8 to burn at 8x. My friend just got a HP pavilion that came with an AMD 3800X2 and brought it down to 12 minutes. Cant wait to see what my Opteron 175 (in the mail, should have tomorrow and full rig built by weekend) will do! As far as the others, photo editing and such, you are right lots of good memory is better for doubling DPI and size, when you have layers upon layers of pictures imbedded together for that photoshop joke of your friend with the naked old lady it will open those files and manipiulate them quicker.
    But if you dont have something good controlling the memory (mobo, processor) it will still lag. Ya gotta find the sweet spot.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,

That's the reason I am doing it on the cheap! The D940 Pressler and a decent MB that lets me use my quality DDR400 and my AGP card, cost me only $375. I could get the D805 and do it for about $200 but I would rather have the D940 since it's in 64x2 4400+ territory to start with without overclocking. Since I already have a case and PS it leaves me with almost all of my present computer intact and gets me a decent dual-core to boot! Down the road I'll buy a better MB, some DDR2 and a 7900GT Extreme PCIe video card and really be rockin! I'll do a demo or a customer build with the cheaper MB so I won't be wasting anything!

Deadrum33,

I also have a P4 3.0 with 2 GB (4x512) of ram but it's oc'd to 3.60. My average total time with DVD shrink (encoding and burning) is 15 to 17 minutes. The choice of MB does make a very real difference (Asus P4P800-SE skt 478)! Before that I had a Dell 3000 with this chip and my times were about the same as yours. After I built this one, I popped a 2.8/533 in the Dell and sold it for more than I paid for it!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

No OC on this locked board, does cool bits count? :p
    Way back in the day, I knew I wanted to build my own sytem and after about 4 years and all the upgrades wont get me to the next level. I didnt know some boards will let you unlock everything, some nothing. Now I do, and cant wait till the new toys come in to learn more.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,

Only if she's the cute girl I know who's nicname is "Bits"

She sure is fun to be around! I know, I'm a dirty old man! He He

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.