1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Okay I'm going to play devils advocate here. How do high end Asus and DFI LanParty mobos compare? I'm aware that most of the peeps in this thread are Asus users, and that's fine. I simply want to here some facts, not opinions, about how they compare. Any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. crowy

crowy Guest

@Tokijin,
    Heres one,
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1009&page=13
    and another
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=12699
    And a small snippet,
    Overclocking:
    This is one area that DFI excells in. The amount, and range of the BIOS options is second to none.
    I used the board to overclock an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+. Previously this CPU had been running in an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe and the maximum clock speed attainable was 2520MHz. Using the DFI LANPARTY UT SLI-D we were able to get up to 2750MHz with no trouble at all, mainly due to the increased voltage available for the CPU.
    and another:
    http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-DFI_MB_DFI_NF4_LANPARTY_UT_nF4_SLI_DR~RD-217991712388
    Bottom Line: I've had both the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and the DFI Lan Party SLI-D running my AMD X2 4400 and as much as it pains me to say it - The DFI is BY FAR the better of the two. The ASUS board is no slouch but the DFI offers an incredible array of RAM timing and CPU timings. Not to mention that my machine is benchmarking way better now than it ever did with the ASUS board. For the enthusiast who wants options I'd definetely recommend the DFI Mobo over the ASUS. If you want to get up and running without too many configurations then I'd get the ASUS. You won't go wrong with either.

3. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Thanks Crowy, looking over them now.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There will be no problem with ATi's DX9 cards running DX10. GUARANTEED. If it requires a Catalyst update so be it, but trust me, you'll have no problems there. If gaming's your forte then you want as meaty a GPU as you can afford. X1900GT isn't too bad in cost now. The X1800 is vastly different from the X1900 so overclocking it won't see you meet the performance. There are more pixel shaders and a completely new ring bus architecture on the 1900 tmk. When you're Vid and Pic editing, lots of memory, big CPU, large HDD but average GPU. It all depends how fast you want to edit your multimedia.

Tokijin: Generally Asus boards are that bit better, but Crowy may still have you otherwise with the top end boards! Lol

I'm still sceptical about that benchmark. Prelims showed nowhere near as much of an increase. Why have things suddenly jumped up?

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  6. crowy

crowy Guest

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah they're very different cards, hence why the 1900 is about 30%ish faster than the 1800 despite a minimal clock speed increase.

That's an astonishingly comprehensive benchmark btw, I'll have to use that site in future.

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah I'm very impressed with DFI Lanparty and Asus boards. From what I can understand from those links DFI is for OC tweakers who want to control every apsect of their mobo. Asus can do that is well, but is probably better for general use for someone with moderate OC knowledge and they're packed with features. Still could go either way. The knowledge is much appreciated.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I were to call it, if you want the absolute top overclock possible, DFI. If you don't know much about overclocking but want to get a good result, go Asus.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the info everyone.sounds like all i need to do is just get me some more mem and a 250 or 300 gb hd for my current stystem (see bleow) heck iam happy right now with the time it takes me to burn a movie now am getting it done on a average 15 mins. some take about 20 and the fastest was 13min 21sec. and that was burnt at 8x. but then my problem is this being the only puter in the house right now i like to do things with the puter while the movies are burning to impatiant to wait the 15 min...lol

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

No offense but until we can actually purchase a Conroe, the benches are meaningless. We'll all find out what's what when we can actually buy one. That goes for the FX-62 as well. by the way, who are those guys that did the tests. They can't even spell! Oh well, I guess I'll haul my "Botty" out of here!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theonejrs, good point we will have to wait till BOTH CPUs are out to get real world results ,iam pretty sure that article is a little bias towards the Intel camp LOL !!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

Ya think??? And the article was written by Willy Deeplung!! All it needed was "Intel Inside" banners!! I've heard of letting your biases hang out but this was like a full "Mooning"! I'm surprised they didn't refer to AMD as amd!

I may have to put off my build for a few weeks. Much to my surprise, I am going back to work. They called me and asked me to come back. when I asked for assurances that the problems I was having that were hurting my health would no longer exist, the Owner told me that he doesn't care who it is, they pull any more crap on me and they are fired. He said that this goes for everyone, family included. and he gave me a nice raise to boot! Imagine that!

The D940 is back-ordered until Thursday so it is being overnighted free and will be here by Friday. Lots of assembly work to do so It's going to take a little bit of time. Having another 10 bay window case and 480 watt PS allows me to not have to tear my P4 down completely as I only need the HD,Both DVDs, the Zalman and 1 GB of the memory. I'll be putting the stock Intel cooler back in it and lowering the OC to 5%. The P4 should make a pretty good entertainment center.

I don't expect too much from the D940 as I'm using my DDR400 and AGP video. I'm most interested in seeing how well it performs encoding DVDs. Lots of people advised me to get an Athlon 64x2 3800+ instead of the D940 for around the same price but for the most part it's much more comparable to the 4400+ or the 4800+. It even beats both of them in some of the benchmarks. I think the D920 would be more like the 3800+. The D940 may not be the fastest but it's a good chip and will be a huge improvement over the OC'd P4. I plan to bump the fsb from 200 to 225 which will give me a 900MHz fsb and a 3.60GHz OC on the CPU. People at Intel told me that while they don't condone overclocking and officially they can't say anything one way or the other. They did say that going to 3.60 shouldn't hurt it! I take that as an O.K.!!!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

14. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Gotha watch about for that Wily Buttplug. Sorry couldn't resist.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tokijin,

Yeah, you don't want to take a bow!!! He He!!! I couldn't resist either!

On a more serious note, here's a link to Asus MB/CPU Compatibility.
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    Just enter the CPU and click go! There are about 25 or so MBs to choose from. Newegg is way behind on this one!

happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  16. crowy

crowy Guest

@theonejrs,
    No offence taken.But do you think intel would be stupid enough to try something underhanded to give themselves an unfair advantage with the pre-release tests of their new cpu?Knowing this cpu when released will have the pants tested off it,the independent results will have to compare with what we have already seen otherwise it could turn into a total marketing failure for them.And thats not really what they need right now.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

Just came across this for anyone thats interested:
    Abit Computer plans to migrate half of its motherboard capacity, mostly entry-level production, to Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) by the end of October, according to the company. Production of Abit’s high-end segment will continue to be manufactured at its Suzhou plant in China before agreements with new contract makers are reached, said the company.

Abit is in talks with several companies for a property transfer of its Suzhou plant. If transfer agreements are settled, the new owners of the plant will help Abit manufacture its high-end product line, the company noted.

Abit is looking to clear total loans of NT$4.2 billion (US$128.7 million) by the end of this year, before a new board of directors takes over the company.
    Full story here:
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050922A7040.html
    In the old thread someone,(cant remember who it was) said ECS boards are lucky to last the warranty period.
    Does this mean the new entry level ABIT boards should be avoided?

18. vegeta66

vegeta66 Guest

this discussion will go on forever

but facts are amd is better

it has much higher front side bus speeds
    all of there processors have switched over to 64-bit
    the only real bad thing i can see with amd is no support for ddr2,.. which they already taken care of with the AM2 processors check them out

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 processor:
    check out tigerdirect.com
    this is from tigerdirect:

The First AM2 Dual-Core FX processor.
    Ultimate PC Processor For 3D Games& More!
    Providing unparalleled PC performance on 3D games and intense applications, the new AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 processor allows power-hungry users to experience the next generation of Dual-Core threaded games with intense and realistic graphic resolutions. The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor runs on AMD64, a revolutionary technology that 1) allows the processor to run 32-bit applications at full speed while enabling the coming wave of powerful, 64-bit software applications, and 2) provides Enhanced Virus Protection when used with the upcoming Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). AMD64 technology shatters barriers to new and advanced software that require 64-bit technology and blazing processor performance. Power-hungry enthusiasts, gamers, and prosumers can explore dual-core technology designed to get the most out of today’s highest end dual GPU solutions.

Next Generation Platform is Here
    Socket AM2 from AMD is designed to enable next-generation platform innovations such as AMD Virtualization and high-performance, unbuffered DDR2 memory to the award-winning AMD64 architecture. This new technology is for prosumers and digital enthusiasts who are looking to run sophisticated, multiple processor-intense applications simultaneously. With socket AM2, AMD brings new capabilities like AMD Virtualization to both commercial and consumer users. Virtualization on desktop computers allows a single PC to act like multiple virtual machines. AMD Virtualization can enable client computers to seamlessly support multiple operating environments. Therefore, IT managers can now gain the ability to develop and test software across multiple operating systems on a single computer to facilitate software migrations, isolate business and personal operating environments to increase security and reliability, and to initialize and manage client computers with less interruption to end users. AMD Virtualization helps make it easier for PC enthusiasts to upgrade and maintain their PCs through emulation.

New DDR2 Support Jump Starts Transfer Rates
    DDR2 memory is the next generation of DDR memory that supports the open standards efforts of the Joint Electronic Device Engineering Council (JEDEC), the governing body for integrated circuit specifications. It uses an advanced signaling scheme that can offer higher data transfer rates than DDR1 memory. The advanced signaling scheme mentioned above allows high transfer rates using traditional PC motherboard manufacturing techniques. DDR2 benefits to customers include lower voltage and higher frequency headroom than DDR1 memory. Socket AM2 processors from AMD will support DDR2 speeds of 400MHz, 533MHz, 667MHz and, for AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core and AMD Athlon™ 64 FX dual-core processors, 800MHz.

It’s YOUR processor!. Serve. Create. Play. Extreme multi-tasking opens up worlds of possibility. Because of today’s growing availablity of multi-threaded software games, 3D gamers who seek to break the limits on application performance, may now take advantage of its benefits through the incredible performance of the new dual-core AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 processor

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2006
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    They have done it before, and more than once so nothing would surprise me. This was back in the 386 era when their chips ran at 33MHz. When AMD came out with a 40MHz chip, Intel tried to convince MB manufacturers not to support the higher clock speed that the AMDs ran. I think the only ones they maybe convinced was I.B.M. Their 386 boards never went higer than 33MHz in spite of AMDs 40MHz chip being available. I'm not sure about their 486 boards but I remember that Intel had a 486DX-2 that ran on a quad pumped buss of 25MHz. AMDs offering would run double speed at an unheard of 50MHz bus. Intel quickly made their CPUs work the same way. Very fast for it's time. That's what started the whole motherboard revolution. Back in those days there were very few MB manufacturers. Asus was one of the first to cater to the "Enthusiast" and quickly saw a market no one else saw at the time. Geeks mostly! Linux users. Hackers! Guys like you and me came later and Asus expanded their market They've been catering to us guys ever since. Intel had more rumurs and vaporware than anybody. If I remember rightly the phrase "Vaporware" was first coined because of Intel promising but not delivering too many times!

I guess that means I believe Intel would do it again!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    got the 512 memory for the amdk6, slaped it in and bang... 500mgz chiprunning like a bat out of hell. you got to give the old girl time to catch up on the dsl. It would be fun to see the sis benchmarks though!
    Thanks again
    Oh question running the d805 against my p-4 3.2... winner?
    tell me what you think of thismobo from abit
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=313

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.